Hide
2 Posts

Druids» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Great Little Gem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andras Frenyo
msg tools
We played the Print-and-Play version. We loved it and played it so many times I ended up making our own wooden game pieces as to keep them from wearing out.

I played with my 13 year old daughter at first and the most, which speaks to the simplicity of the rules. But don't let that fool you. My 13 year old is wickedly smart and this game has a lot of surprises.

We are seasoned players of Onitama and Apotheca, two games that will come to mind when first getting one's feet wet in Druids, and I can tell you, it offers great twists and clever turns on the games in its category.

The beauty of the game comes from its simplicity, but the board fills in quickly and begins to shift underneath you without ever slipping into chaos. All the while, the game continually challenges you to keep control toward one of the two winning conditions (capture your opponent's pieces or carry a stone into their temple).

You have three pieces to control in order to acquire special moves, alter the terrain and to capture your opponent's pieces to protect your temple and press on to conquer theirs. All on a small board of 35 squares with great mechanics built on the simplest of rules, carefully designed to keep things in balance.

This early on the forums, let me just say this (and keep from introducing the rules, which you can easily gather from Grant's video): those who ever had even remote interest in the above mentioned games, (add Chess and The Duke), will find this game a brilliantly quick, never stale, highly addictive and a re-playable, fun challenge.

Thanks for a(nother) thoughtful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very kind and thoughtful review. Thank you so much for your interest and notes during development!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.