13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: RNG In Card Games (University Survey) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emelie Rodin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hello Everyone here, I'm doing my bachelor year in university and I've been working on figuring out how Random elements is Perceived in different cases.

We are a group of university students working with this, to support the claims that random elements is not a necessity for a card game to work as many have stated to us, therefore we are now trying to build a card game without it.

Heres the Survey and we thank you in advance for answering.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jsDxcfrdLaNMLEKYTkgsacDLW4x...

Edit: Changed RNG to Random Elements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanynia wrote:
Hello Everyone here, I'm doing my bachelor year in university and I've been working on figuring out how RNG is Perceived in different cases.

We are a group of university students working with this, to support the claims that RNG is not a necessity for a card game to work as many have stated to us, therefore we are now trying to build a card game without it.

As a note: please know what RNG means or don't take the survey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Ord
United Kingdom
Darlington
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitted a response. Best of luck with your project, I'm intrigued to see the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitted. I am also interested in what will come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you missed something on your question asking "do you enjoy winning a game because of random elements?". I assume it's supposed to mirror the question about losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't take the survey because I'm not sure I understand the question. The questions seems to be "do you like luck in card game? (Using the term rng for whatever reason (it applies more to video games and computer games))

The first question asks if you like randomness in card games. Isn't some randomness the nature of the beast with card games? Sure, a game doesn't have to be get random card which does a random effect randomly. But are there any card which aren't random?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
Sure, a game doesn't have to be get random card which does a random effect randomly. But are there any card which aren't random?

There are some card games without random card shuffles/draws just as there are some dice games without random die rolls, but indeed they are a small minority. E.g. players' hands of cards are not randomly shuffled/drawn in Concordia. (But there is nonetheless a different element of randomness in Concordia, namely the order in which new cards come out available to be taken by players.) R=Braverats, Dungeon Twister, Lord of the Rings Confrontation, etc has no random card shuffling/drawing. (But they have simultaneous card selection & revelation, which is arguably introducing a different form of randomness.) Etc.

Cards (and dice) seem obviously created to exploit the possibilities with randomness, which is why most card (and dice) games indeed have randomness.

Ultimately I think the desirability of randomness simply depends on the specific game. Randomness is appropriate in some games and inappropriate in other games.

PS: I agree it's strange & jargony to say "RNG" when one means "randomness" generally. It's not only "random numbers" which are being generated, after all, but e.g. also random permutations of card decks. And I normally see "RNG" used in a computer context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
RNG = Random Number Generator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emelie Rodin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yes, or random elements (We corrected the survey today so mistyped that up above, will fix that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Russ. I'll definitely check out Concorida.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Kern
United States
Bowling Green
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
But are there any card which aren't random?

BattleCon. Mage Wars does have randomness, but not from the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Ultimately I think the desirability of randomness simply depends on the specific game. Randomness is appropriate in some games and inappropriate in other games.

N This.

I couldn't answer the survey as I felt the questions were generic to the extent that the answer didn't feel like it represented my opinion on the issue. For example, I have no problem with randomness in games if there are sufficient mechanisms in place for you to mitigate the effects of that randomness. Where this is the case, even if I lose due to dumb luck, I have no issue with it. Where that isn't the case, then I would be annoyed as it would have felt like I wasted my time. On the other hand, if the game is short, then I wouldn't feel annoyed simply because it was a short game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Vanynia wrote:
Hello Everyone here, I'm doing my bachelor year in university and I've been working on figuring out how RNG is Perceived in different cases.

We are a group of university students working with this, to support the claims that RNG is not a necessity for a card game to work as many have stated to us, therefore we are now trying to build a card game without it.

As a note: please know what RNG means or don't take the survey?

Why would you need to know what RNG means when the researchers don't?

RNG is random number generator. Usually refers to PRNG (pseudo-random number generator) in video games. Has no application to analog gaming whatsoever. Presumably they're using it to mean randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.