Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it all sounds interesting and who can argue with having more pretty dice, etc., but not for a $55 price tag (Amazon).
I'm happy with the base game as is and I also made the free PnP "Epidemic" cards, (though I rarely use them). So, I'm going to do a wait and see on this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only $32.99 on CSI.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/232603
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pre orders" on Amazon usually have high mark ups or msrp pricing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like msrp is 50. so you will be able to get it for around 35.

CSI has it on preorder for 32.99.

As far for worth it, how many plays do you normally use to define worth it?

Do you get bored with the base game and want something new?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FacelessYouth wrote:
It's only $32.99 on CSI.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/232603

+ $7.74 std ground ship US. Still that's better than Amazon's pricing for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

I knew "worth it" would start a conversation [pro & con). It's really subjective.

No I haven't gotten 'bored' with the base game at all. Right now, I say we Play it occasionally. Depends on the play mood and choices available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only problem is that very few people know what's in it, so it's hard to say whether it's worth it, yet. We have general ideas of the types of content, but we don't know how much they add, or if they're worth adding everytime you play. I know there's a lot of dice and some new gameplay elements, so that could be a plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

I knew "worth it" would start a conversation [pro & con). It's really subjective.

No I haven't gotten 'bored' with the base game at all. Right now, I say we Play it occasionally. Depends on the play mood and choices available.

I know I personally will get it. It seems like it will add the the game.

if you have few games in your collection, it is probably more worth it to buy a new base game for add collection variety though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a drawback of dice games... the custom dice often put a higher price tag vs. games without a lot of these.

mfl134 wrote:
Grejam53 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

I know I personally will get it. It seems like it will add the the game.

if you have few games in your collection, it is probably more worth it to buy a new base game for add collection variety though.
Not to get into the "new game vs. exp" topic, but if an expansion makes something that was good even better by adding new content and such, I'd rather go with that than take a chance on the other thing that may also be of unknown quality and enjoyment.

Besides, in some circles, the only way to get expansion stuff played is to bring in your own copy of it and teach it. For any given other base game, there's a better chance that someone else will have it, and you can just play that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
There's no way this has MSRP 55$, the original is 30-35?

Has about half the components of the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ickil wrote:

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Pandemic-The-Cure-Experimental-Meds/d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this as a pre order on two online stores...it's the same price as the base game. As much as I really want this.....at that price ($53 CAN), it's a pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ickil wrote:

$50 base game
$55 expansion

Sounds about right to me. FWIW, the expansion weight 0.1 lbs more, so presumably you're getting more by weight. Even if this expansion came with less components, are you really going to fret over $5 when one already purchased a $50 base game?

I would just wait for it to go on sale down to ~$33. Then again, $16 and no Super Shipping (since it's from Z-Man Games and not Amazon directly) means that it really is expensive now

On a similar note, I'd pay about $20 for a solid digital implementation with this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks from above
mbmbmbmbmb
I immediately choked when I saw the $49.95 CAD price tag from my FOLGS (same as they are asking for base game).

Certainly not as bad as those $50 USD price tags you're seeing, though.

For me, this is my preferred version of Pandemic, but an expansion for it isn't worth that much to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
I immediately choked when I saw the $49.95 CAD price tag from my FOLGS (same as they are asking for base game).

Certainly not as bad as those $50 USD price tags you're seeing, though.

For me, this is my preferred version of Pandemic, but an expansion for it isn't worth that much to me.

I think the problem here is if they made it cheaper, then the game would only be "about 33% of what it was at 50% of the price". Then folks would be complaining at what a poor value the game is.

I'm also curious to hear why you and others think this way about Pandemic The Cure... you already paid $50 for the base game. Were you expecting the expansion to only cost no more than some arbitrary value of that, like no more than 60% of the cost because "that's how expansions roll"? I would've thought that the REAL obstacle was paying $50 for the base game to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
msg tools
FortyRock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'm also curious to hear why you and others think this way about Pandemic The Cure... you already paid $50 for the base game.

I didn't pay $50 for the base game (that's just the current price) - I bought it when it first came out for 30% less. Granted, that's about the same amount our dollar has dropped against the USD, and shipping costs spiked in 2016, but it's still tough to accept.

ackmondual wrote:
Were you expecting the expansion to only cost no more than some arbitrary value of that, like no more than 60% of the cost because "that's how expansions roll"?

Frankly, yes

ackmondual wrote:
I would've thought that the REAL obstacle was paying $50 for the base game to begin with.

The real obstacle is knowing how many other new games I can get for the same coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
I'm also curious to hear why you and others think this way about Pandemic The Cure... you already paid $50 for the base game.

I didn't pay $50 for the base game (that's just the current price) - I bought it when it first came out for 30% less. Granted, that's about the same amount our dollar has dropped against the USD, and shipping costs spiked in 2016, but it's still tough to accept.

Then it's still an apples to apples comparison, as in both cases, you're waiting for a OLGS level discount anyways.

Actually, given the next paragraph, 30% off of an even cheaper price would've been even more savings, so I will acknowledge that.

lajaro wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Were you expecting the expansion to only cost no more than some arbitrary value of that, like no more than 60% of the cost because "that's how expansions roll"?

Frankly, yes
Fair enough.

lajaro wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
I would've thought that the REAL obstacle was paying $50 for the base game to begin with.

The real obstacle is knowing how many other new games I can get for the same coin.

This too will vary by person. If I could get games played more often, I wouldn't have minded jumping on both this and its base game. Far too many ways to spend $70 (especially since I've been back to playing games with nongamers, and Cards Against Humanity is always there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The price is no doubt driven by the custom dice - there are more roles in this expansion than in the base game, then you have the new purple dice as well as the hot zone dice. Also, keep in mind this isn't just 1 expansion in the normal sense - it is actually 3 different expansions in 1 box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
msg tools
FortyRock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanders wrote:
The price is no doubt driven by the custom dice - there are more roles in this expansion than in the base game, then you have the new purple dice as well as the hot zone dice. Also, keep in mind this isn't just 1 expansion in the normal sense - it is actually 3 different expansions in 1 box.

Thanks - that's the justification I needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
Sanders wrote:

Thanks - that's the justification I needed
blush what was obvious to me was what I should've brought up sooner! That's also why the base game is relatively pricy. It isn't at that level just because "it's a base game". On a related note, games tend to be more expensive when you have any combo of the following...
-miniatures
-metal bits, like coins
-sheer number of bits and components (e.g. we're talking Agricola level)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.