Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Jabbas realm or hoth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil K
msg tools
I am just about to get IA and I was wondering which would be the best expansion to get if I plan on only getting one. I was thinking the big box expansions give the most bang for your buck and jabbas realm didn't come out yet but looks promising as I love scum in x wing haha. I am only playing campaign with maybe a little skirmish so would you think I should wait for jabbas realm or would that be too complicated? Or go for hoth? Or neither and just go for a small box. I just like the jabba theme more than hoth which is why I am leaning jabbas realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for which campaign you think you'd like the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jabba's Realm has so much fun in it for both the campaign and the skirmish, so if you need to choose, go for that.

You'll probably fall for one of the small box expansions or some figure packs while waiting though.

(Edit: Yeah, get the core first and play the campaign. You'll be wiser after that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't tried the game yet, I'd say neither for now. Buy just the base and play that for a while; it's a blast. Then, once you know you really like the game and can justify the extra expense (the boxes aren't cheap, after all), get whichever campaign sounds more fun.

The above is kind of what I'm doing. Right now I'm playing someone else's copy - base game + some figure packs, no box expansions. Once we're done with that, I'll play my own copy with some other people - and I have no expansions, not even figure packs. I'll only spend money on expansions after I've played a full core-only campaign with my copy. And then I'll start grabbing expansions, and probably will end up getting every single one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
I am just about to get IA and I was wondering which would be the best expansion to get if I plan on only getting one. I was thinking the big box expansions give the most bang for your buck and jabbas realm didn't come out yet but looks promising as I love scum in x wing haha. I am only playing campaign with maybe a little skirmish so would you think I should wait for jabbas realm or would that be too complicated? Or go for hoth? Or neither and just go for a small box. I just like the jabba theme more than hoth which is why I am leaning jabbas realm.

I got all components through Hoth for my first playthrough. I didn't need that much, but it was still a ton of fun.

Personally, I'd say you'd be best off getting Jabba's realm first, as it really expands on the Mercenary faction, which is a little less represented in the core game box than the Empire. But yeah, as others have pointed out, maybe start with a small expansion first, with either Twin Shadows or The Bespin Gambit. They're a lot of fun too, and add some interesting components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
OK thanks for all the input! I wanted to get at least one with it because the prices are high on amazon and wanted to get it off cool stuff without the shipping. So it looks like I'm leaning jabba if I do get one. Maybe a Han and Jabba figure but I'm fine without the figure if need be because it's all super expensive. Also I am primarily going to play with my gf so I am Also wondering if I will still feel the full experience of the game with 2 player. I have other people to play but they are far less consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
OK thanks for all the input! I wanted to get at least one with it because the prices are high on amazon and wanted to get it off cool stuff without the shipping. So it looks like I'm leaning jabba if I do get one. Maybe a Han and Jabba figure but I'm fine without the figure if need be because it's all super expensive. Also I am primarily going to play with my gf so I am Also wondering if I will still feel the full experience of the game with 2 player. I have other people to play but they are far less consistent.

In a two player game (campaign, at least) one player plays two or more Rebel heroes and the other is the Empire. This is actually the majority of the way I've played the game, too. I think that it might be a little easier for the rebels to get into character if they only had one hero to worry about each, but it also allows the rebel player a lot more play time when they have more activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always play with 4 heroes. The game is optimized for it and the Rebels are over-powered with fewer heroes due to the extra activations which make them super-hero fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thuddeus wrote:
Always play with 4 heroes. The game is optimized for it and the Rebels are over-powered with fewer heroes due to the extra activations which make them super-hero fast.

yeah, I'm really worried about Onar. 2 activations and 30 base health (even without a defense die) would be insane to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Ya that the 4 player idea is sounds like what a lot of people do with descent. I happened to get both because I wanted the theme of descent and I got IA because I think more of my friends are interested in star wars over descent haha. Not sure if I should have done that but oh well I guess? Lol. But awesome! The base game just arrived last night and it got me pumped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.