Subject: Skills/attitudes to enjoy gaming more rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
luis uribe
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
I've recently played a game with a group of developmentally challenged adults and teens. I thought I would be more of a moderator and less a player but boy was I wrong. It was a blast! This group has social and playing skills that at times are missing in other groups. These folks are great gamers, I'm so playing again next time they have a game night. The experience got me thinking about what skills and attitudes folks should develop to make gaming a better experience. So here's what this group has in abundance and some of us need to learn (not in order):

1. Learn to enjoy the play more than the win.
2. Learn how to level a game and do so if you're a radically better player; handicapping https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handicapping.
3. Learn when to help and when to back-off.
4. Learn how to win and loose gracefully; sportsmanship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsmanship.
5. Learn to play as fast as others or get a timer if your AP prone.
6. Learn to pay attention to the play. If you need to take a call step away from the table; proxy your move if necessary.
7. Learn from and laugh at your mistakes.
8. Learn the difference between social and tournament play.
9. If you can, learn the rules before you play a new game.
10. Learn how to banter, ad-lib, praise and lightheartedly tease.

What's your list?

Cheers,
Luis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Challenge yourself. If you find that playing is becoming easy, raise the level. Try out new strategies, learn new games, seek out stronger competition. If you aren't losing as often as you win, you're going too easy on yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rules need to be explained to a new player, have only one person explain: nothing is more confusing that a bunch of people explaining different rules at the same time. If you think he missed something, remember it and mention it after he's done; he may just explain in a different order than you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I heard recently on the Secret Cabal podcast was...allow yourself to learn the strategies of the games you're playing. An example: I just got Scythe, and the person that wins all our games beat me by a few points. I was really excited that I won and then I didn't when we did the final tally. I figured I'd come here and learn strategies of the different Factions. That was until I listened to this podcast and they mentioned that part of the pleasure of playing a game is the discovery. I may get my butt kicked a lot, but I will have so much fun trying different things out for myself. That's my $.02.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.