Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Adams blog here is absolutely fascinating. It shows how the Clinton campaign of calling Trump a fascist and painting him as such in all the media will ultimately not work. After talking about Clinton's position on the Estate tax, Point 5 is the most interesting to me.

Quote:
5. Pacing and Leading: Trump always takes the extreme position on matters of safety and security for the country, even if those positions are unconstitutional, impractical, evil, or something that the military would refuse to do. Normal people see this as a dangerous situation. Trained persuaders like me see this as something called pacing and leading. Trump “paces” the public – meaning he matches them in their emotional state, and then some. He does that with his extreme responses on immigration, fighting ISIS, stop-and-frisk, etc. Once Trump has established himself as the biggest bad-ass on the topic, he is free to “lead,” which we see him do by softening his deportation stand, limiting his stop-and-frisk comment to Chicago, reversing his first answer on penalties for abortion, and so on. If you are not trained in persuasion, Trump look scary. If you understand pacing and leading, you might see him as the safest candidate who has ever gotten this close to the presidency. That’s how I see him.

So when Clinton supporters ask me how I could support a “fascist,” the answer is that he isn’t one. Clinton’s team, with the help of Godzilla, have effectively persuaded the public to see Trump as scary. The persuasion works because Trump’s “pacing” system is not obvious to the public. They see his “first offers” as evidence of evil. They are not. They are technique.

And being chummy with Putin is more likely to keep us safe, whether you find that distasteful or not. Clinton wants to insult Putin into doing what we want. That approach seems dangerous as hell to me.

6. Persuasion: Economies are driven by psychology. If you expect things to go well tomorrow, you invest today, which causes things to go well tomorrow, as long as others are doing the same. The best kind of president for managing the psychology of citizens – and therefore the economy – is a trained persuader. You can call that persuader a con man, a snake oil salesman, a carnival barker, or full of shit. It’s all persuasion. And Trump simply does it better than I have ever seen anyone do it.

The battle with ISIS is also a persuasion problem. The entire purpose of military action against ISIS is to persuade them to stop, not to kill every single one of them. We need military-grade persuasion to get at the root of the problem. Trump understands persuasion, so he is likely to put more emphasis in that area.

Most of the job of president is persuasion. Presidents don’t need to understand policy minutia. They need to listen to experts and then help sell the best expert solutions to the public. Trump sells better than anyone you have ever seen, even if you haven’t personally bought into him yet. You can’t deny his persuasion talents that have gotten him this far.

In summary, I don’t understand the policy details and implications of most of either Trump’s or Clinton’s proposed ideas. Neither do you. But I do understand persuasion. I also understand when the government is planning to confiscate the majority of my assets. And I can also distinguish between a deeply unhealthy person and a healthy person, even though I have no medical training. (So can you.)

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/150919416661/why-i-switched-my-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: DILBERT: Why I changed from endorsing Clinton to Trump LOL
"Dilbert" ought sought "5-cent Therapy Session" because he's 'UNREALLY'! Have a 'brew' with "Cathy" also. thumbsup/kiss\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
His obsession with Trump being a 'masterful persuader' made this a bit inevitable, however I haven't seen him manage to convince anyone but the not-already-converted that Trump IS such a 'masterful persuader'.

That Trump's "business success" amounts to a string of failures, lawsuits, and bankruptcies...on top of a net worth lower than if he'd just taken the money he was gifted by his parents and stuck it in mutual bonds... seems to contradict all this grandiose painting of him as a mastermind.

In the end, we are left with Scott Adams (getting tiring, fast), "I'm a trained persuader, and hypnotist, also ninja warrior and heir to the throne of Gondor, and I say Trump is ZOMG AMAZING - you just can't understand how amazing he is, as you are just a commoner, and cannot see the world through the Jedi powers I have that let me see TRUTH!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Adams supporting Trump is not a surprise, at all. That he says he was going to vote for Clinton is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
He makes it sound like it's Wizardry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb

Flim-Flam Man 2016!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

I'm switching my vote to Werdna. He's got a plan to Make America Have Layers and Teleporters Again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
3 worst things about a Trump Presidency:
1) Accelerating climate change
2) Nuclear war with Iran
3) Scott Adams gloating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
His obsession with Trump being a 'masterful persuader' made this a bit inevitable, however I haven't seen him manage to convince anyone but the not-already-converted that Trump IS such a 'masterful persuader'.
I don't follow Adams that closely as I aways thought he was kind of a kook, but I was surprised to hear he had entertained voting for Clinton an one point, I would have assumed he was a Trump man all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bird
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And being chummy with Putin is more likely to keep us safe, whether you find that distasteful or not. Clinton wants to insult Putin into doing what we want. That approach seems dangerous as hell to me.

I know we shouldn't expect Scott "what if I named the horse Horsebert" Adams to really know much about anything but this is remarkably knowledge-free.

Russia's economy is in serious decline right now. It's in serious decline largely because they can't afford to run their government, partially because oil revenues have collapsed and that's half of their revenue impacted, and partially because the sanctions that Obama put in place years ago are preventing them from deficit spending to create new economic opportunities to replace that lost oil revenue (because they're prevented from selling debt to foreign entities). As a result, their deficit is back to what it was seven years ago (when it was really bad), they've spent almost all of their reserve fund and are planning to start spending out of their general pension reserve fund to meet current operating obligations, and they're cutting back significantly on their military spending.

The sanctions against Russia are slowly crushing them because they're gradually making it impossible for Russia to afford their army, which was pretty much the point of them in the first place. (Russia responded with bans on sanctioning countries' imports, but all that means is that Russia's import situation has grown less competitive - which makes the fact that the ruble has halved in value over the last few years even worse.)

Donald Trump's solution is to end the sanctions, and Scott Adams thinks this is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Trump is to blame for Trump talking and acting like a fascist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
XanderF wrote:
I don't follow Adams that closely as I aways thought he was kind of a kook, but I was surprised to hear he had entertained voting for Clinton an one point, I would have assumed he was a Trump man all along.

He is a bit of a nut in a few ways. Add me to the "He ever claimed to like Clinton?" camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should have quoted points 1 & 2. I think Adams is just upset by the estate tax so he flipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
XanderF wrote:

He is a bit of a nut in a few ways. Add me to the "He ever claimed to like Clinton?" camp.

He never claimed to like Clinton. He claimed to support Clinton... because he was afraid of receiving threats for supporting Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I think you should have quoted points 1 & 2. I think Adams is just upset by the estate tax so he flipped.

Negan wants 75% of your stuff now! 50% isn't cutting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
Quote:
If you are not trained in persuasion, Trump look scary. If you understand pacing and leading, you might see him as

If I have to be trained in persuasion to not see Trump as scary, then, uhh, how is it anyone but Trump's fault that I see him as fucking scary?

Adams should persuade someone to give him a refund on that persuasion training, because he just sounds nutty & illogical to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
windsagio wrote:
wow VOTE! AK-47 of *Wizard* "D"-'livery'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The Dilbert guy? Is Dilbert still a thing? I didn't think it made it past the 90's. Talk about one-note humor.

Hey, while we're at it, can we find out who Jim Davis supporting?

I wonder if he's for Clinton, or if Trump has cornered the market on has-been comic artists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Majestic Tale of) An Idiot With a Box
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the "you're not smart enough to see the genius" defense. It ranks right up there with the Chewbacca defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:
windsagio wrote:

I'm switching my vote to Werdna. He's got a plan to Make America Have Layers and Teleporters Again.

I still play Wiz 8. A classic that holds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Quote:

I know we shouldn't expect Scott "what if I named the horse Horsebert" Adams to really know much about anything but this is remarkably knowledge-free.

Russia's economy is in serious decline right now. It's in serious decline largely because they can't afford to run their government, partially because oil revenues have collapsed and that's half of their revenue impacted, and partially because the sanctions that Obama put in place years ago are preventing them from deficit spending to create new economic opportunities to replace that lost oil revenue (because they're prevented from selling debt to foreign entities). As a result, their deficit is back to what it was seven years ago (when it was really bad), they've spent almost all of their reserve fund and are planning to start spending out of their general pension reserve fund to meet current operating obligations, and they're cutting back significantly on their military spending.

The sanctions against Russia are slowly crushing them because they're gradually making it impossible for Russia to afford their army, which was pretty much the point of them in the first place. (Russia responded with bans on sanctioning countries' imports, but all that means is that Russia's import situation has grown less competitive - which makes the fact that the ruble has halved in value over the last few years even worse.)

Donald Trump's solution is to end the sanctions, and Scott Adams thinks this is a good idea.

Source? Honestly interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
aiabx wrote:
3 worst things about a Trump Presidency:
1) Accelerating climate change
2) Nuclear war with Iran
3) Scott Adams gloating

3 best things about a Trump Presidency:
1) Scott Adams gloating
2) Nuclear war with Iran
3) Accelerating climate change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Ah, the "you're not smart enough to see the genius" defense. It ranks right up there with the Chewbacca defense.

If the ordinary person just sees Trump as scary than he's not persuading. He's just scary. A trained persuader should probably know that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
If the ordinary person just sees Trump as scary than he's not persuading. He's just scary. A trained persuader should probably know that...

Could someone remind Jythier he's not supposed to say I'm on his block list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adams is an angry old racist sexist rich white male who was always going to vote for Drumpf. Always. His assertion that he was supporting Clinton was a joke, was always a joke, and was nothing more than a joke. He knows that Drumpf is successful because he plays on the ignorance, hatred and fear of the population, and is going against a terribly flawed and wounded candidate in Hillary, who is someone the population hates and fears. Perhaps the only thing he's honest about is that he's afraid of higher taxes, but I doubt the fucker even has over half a billion dollars of assets to be concerned about, so it's merely an excuse to reveal his true preferences which he was hiding all along. Fuck Scott Adams. Fuck him with Dogbert's dick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.