Hide
8 Posts

Gloom» Forums » General

Subject: Fairytale and Cthulu Gloom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e w
msg tools
Hello, sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but my wife is very interested in this game, so we ordered it on Amazon. While it's shipping, I've been looking over other offerings and noticed expansions, which follow the same art style. However, I also noticed there are Fairytale and Ctulu versions. Uh... what are they, exactly? Are they separate games? They don't look like expansions, so I expect they're somewhat standalone, but can you also combine them with the base game as a sort of super sized expansion pack?

We're the sort to get all the expansions for each game that we like, so knowing if these versions of the base Gloom product are something we'd want are not would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I purchased Gloom, the base game, I also looked at all the other offerings. I consider the Fairy Tale and Cthulu versions to be standalone replacements for the base game if your interests center around either of those two themes.

Now, if you go with the original base game, you'll have the choice from, I believe, three additional expansions.

We only play the game a few times a year -- usually around Sept/Oct/Nov -- and haven't found the need to branch into the expansions. Though, I've heard good things about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're the same basic game with different artwork and themes.

Though Cthulhu Gloom did add some stuff that wasn't in the original game to start with, I believe those mechanics were in one of the later expansions, If you get the expansions and you're not interested in the other themes, then you don't need to worry about those versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add that Gloom is best played with 3+. The base game plays up to 5 players and Gloom: Unhappy Homes adds a 6th.

The idea of the game is to play cards that make your opponents' characters suffer. When you play a card you read it aloud, carrying on the story of the poor, beleaguered character. It's a fun game that needs the right group to make it come alive.

A two-player game would likely lack the group interaction -- you're just playing cards against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e w
msg tools
Hmm, so they're separate things? Fairytale Gloom in particular caught our eye, so if any one has mixed it with the base game, did it work out? Or is it really just a one for one version with different art, and thus doesn't really make sense to try to add to the base game?

And don't worry, it won't always be just the two of us. We've got a small circle of sorts that we bounce games off of, so getting four or five shouldn't be terribly difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, mixing the two of them would be weird. But not necessarily in a bad way (depends on what you like, really).

Mechanically, I can't see any reason why it would be a problem, but I also don't see that it would really change up the game at all. I don't think it's an exact 1-1 match between all the cards, but at the end of the day it's all about positive modifiers and negative modifiers with some special abilities, and I don't recall any specific special abilities in the new versions that weren't already in the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e w
msg tools
Ok, thank you! That's about what it was starting to sound like. I assumed the biggest things would be things like alternate families and such, but now that I'm looking at the Gloom expansions, that might not work out so well unless the Fairytale families also had things like houses, etc.

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Biggs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One thing I will say is that the language in base Gloom can be archaic, which makes some of the cards harder to understand (for instance, it's hard to build a story around "consumed by consumption" if you don't know what the symptoms of consumption were). For Cthulhu gloom, you get the added complication of terms like Shoggoth which are indescribable, so in some ways, Munchkin Gloom or Fairytale Gloom may be better base sets for some groups (though I'm a fan of the Unwelcome Guests expansion for the base set).

Looking forward to the Space version, it's pretty much instabuy, but what I'd REALLY love Atlas to do would be to release a daytime soap-opera version (writers competing for higher rating by having the most extraordinary events happen to their families), which would circumvent the language problems entirely and make the game more accessible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.