Captain Sonar» Forums » Rules

Subject: 6 player - Engineer + 1st Officer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After played the game with both 6 nd 7 players I start thinking it will almost be better if the 1st officer role is controled by the player who is the Engineer, instead of the captain.

Its quit often the captain forgets to do his officer part and say okay loud.
But the engineer who already have that as a major part of his role shoudl have esier to say okay when he have done both the engineer part and the officer part.

I will try this next game I play with less then 8.

Have other players tried this? Or what do you think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
I was just thinking about this the other day after playing a few 6 player games. My thinking though was that the roles are more or less balanced with regards to the amount of work they have to do (i.e. even the First Mate who does little on their sheet has to do a lot by communicating effectively with the Engineer and Captain, and keeping track of when to use Drone and Sonar). My subsequent thinking is based on this assumption of balance.

So I was thinking that to make the Engineer be the first mate would actually make the Captain's role too easy relative to the Engineer + First Mate combined, and that this would be useful for when you wanted to play with less experienced players, so they could still enjoy playing the Captain without being overwhelmed in 6 player games while the more experienced players would do both the Engineer and First Mate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or that it would make it to easy for the engineer to be in vharge of the destruction of system aswell as the chargibg if system. You elininate the elimebt of confusion if you do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
On that point I'd agree, yes it would remove that element of confusion and make that much easier, and with it gone, so is the need for communication also reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deric W
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My group of 6 tried this yesterday, and the consensus was that the Captain needs to do the First Mate stuff, and it's too confusing to combine Engineer and First Mate. After one play, we went back to the proper way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
We combined engineer and first mate and it just worked fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.