Hide
10 Posts

Tactical GameX» Forums » General

Subject: State of Development and a Couple of Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J D
msg tools
Looking for a modern alternative to "Panzer Leader", I was referred to Tactical GameX.

I had a look at the dedicated website for this project and the author Mike Nagel really put a lot of effort in the published material. Thanks for the great work...

A couple of questions:

- What is the current state of the rules (redux)? Are these still under development or can be considered as stable?

- I could not find any scenarios on relativerange.com. Can the updated scenario "starter pack" with counters from IMSTRAT from "Panzer Leader" be used with the redux rules?

- Regarding the maps, is there a game-relevant difference between IMSTRAT's maps and the 7 updated maps on relativerange.com? The menteniod "scenario starter pack" actually uses the IMSTRAT maps with marked starting positions.

Thanks for your feedback. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Captain
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

As far as I understand Tactical GameX is meant to be used with the existing PB/PL units and maps and scenarios. The only thing that was updated was the rules to use these components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JD,

I would honestly say that the redux rules are still in flux. I think they're ready to go, but I may have missed something. If you want to give them a whirl, you should be able to use any of the existing PB/PL scenarios with the redux rules. The key difference between the redux maps and the IMSTRAT (as well as original) maps is how hills are handled. You should still be able to use notes scenario starting positions on the new maps without any change. However, referring back to the flux state or the rules, if there are any setup issues that run into, let me know.

-- M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Captain
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
mpnagel wrote:
JD,

I would honestly say that the redux rules are still in flux. I think they're ready to go, but I may have missed something. If you want to give them a whirl, you should be able to use any of the existing PB/PL scenarios with the redux rules. The key difference between the redux maps and the IMSTRAT (as well as original) maps is how hills are handled. You should still be able to use notes scenario starting positions on the new maps without any change. However, referring back to the flux state or the rules, if there are any setup issues that run into, let me know.

-- M

Mike,

You have done a remarkable job with GameX, thanks.

I guess every rule set is "living" or "subject to change", it's all really a point in time. I treat GameX rules as stable and I use them as such.

Nothing's forever right lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
Quote:
The key difference between the redux maps and the IMSTRAT (as well as original) maps is how hills are handled.

Thanks for your quick response.

But the IMSTRAT "Panzer Leader" map naming (A,B,C,D,...) corresponds with your map naming? Or are these updated "Panzer Blitz" maps?

I think with a bit more marketing and more community input this whole project could get similar popularity like "Valor & Victory".

There is still quite a dedicated community around PB/PL...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johannes, I am going to work on some more counters (think Russian Tanks and Italian "non-vehicle" counters). I am trying to finish up my VASSAL module for PanzerBlitz for posting to VASSAL, but I have some layer glitches for the counters and it is time-consuming to troubleshoot. So counters are in the making. I may hold off on the Italians until I get all the Russian artillery out of the way and post to the files section.

Bob

SquadGamer wrote:
Quote:
The key difference between the redux maps and the IMSTRAT (as well as original) maps is how hills are handled.

Thanks for your quick response.

But the IMSTRAT "Panzer Leader" map naming (A,B,C,D,...) corresponds with your map naming? Or are these updated "Panzer Blitz" maps?

I think with a bit more marketing and more community input this whole project could get similar popularity like "Valor & Victory".

There is still quite a dedicated community around PB/PL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
Sounds great, Bob.

I had a look at the re-made maps again on http://www.relativerange.com/tactical-gamex and these seem to be from "PanzerBlitz".

Is there a chance to redo the first 4 maps (A, B, C, D) from "Panzer Leader" in the same way?

In that way, you could directly use the remade 20 scenarios for "Panzer Leader" with the new redux rules without gathering many bits and pieces. I think this would make the project a bit more accessible for interested players...

I think what this project is missing is a basic starter package in the downloads section that includes a base set of maps, scenarios and counters to get started.

Happy to assist, if you need help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JD,

All of the original maps from PB and PL have been done. The first three are PB and the latter four are PL. Which map is which is referenced on the map beneath the map ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
Ah, I see. Perfect.

The double-sided PL maps have a document format of 13.12 x 8.0 inch.

Are these intended for print on legal paper (8.5 x 14.0 inch)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,

Best printed to legal size paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.