$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 115.38

7,035 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Is the unopened Legacy game the same as Vanilla? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting a copy of Pandemic Legacy to play with some friends for awhile. I have a different set of friends that I'd like to introduce to Pandemic (but not via Legacy) before I'll have the chance to get my Legacy group together.

Is the unaltered Legacy game just Vanilla pandemic? Because if so, I'll pick up the legacy copy, introduce pandemic to several folks, then bust out all the Legacy stuff when I get together with that group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, yes. One of the roles in vanilla (operations expert) is replaced by one from the first expansion (generalist), but it essentially the same game. In fact the rules recommend if you haven't played to only read certain sections (those that don't pertain to the legacy stuff) and play a game or two of vanilla first.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly the same. The role switch was mentioned above. There's a few more connections on the map (Sao Paolo is no longer isolated to one connection, there's one more South America to Africa connection, etc). But overall it's plain old vanilla Pandemic.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are different

There's two or three connections that have been added
some roles are the same, some are different, some have been altered to work better in this game
I believe the events are different as well.

But if all you want to do is play a couple games simply to introduce Pandemic to someone, there's nothing wrong with it. Just don't dig into the components that are meant to be opened as part of the campaign. The game even encourages you to play a couple games of normal pandemic before starting the campaign, just to ensure that everyone understands the starting rules.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Mostly the same. The role switch was mentioned above. There's a few more connections on the map (Sao Paolo is no longer isolated to one connection, there's one more South America to Africa connection, etc). But overall it's plain old vanilla Pandemic.
Oh yeah, forgot about the connection changes.

Justin is also correct that there may be a couple of special event cards that are different (though most are the same). The roles are not altered though (outside of the swap).

Overall the changes have virtually no noticeable effect on playing vanilla so I think for you purposes, it should fit the bill.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Mostly the same. The role switch was mentioned above. There's a few more connections on the map (Sao Paolo is no longer isolated to one connection, there's one more South America to Africa connection, etc). But overall it's plain old vanilla Pandemic.
Oh yeah, forgot about the connection changes.

Justin is also correct that there may be a couple of special event cards that are different (though most are the same). The roles are not altered though (outside of the swap).

Overall the changes have virtually no noticeable effect on playing vanilla so I think for you purposes, it should fit the bill.



Thanks. Sounds like what I want. I just want to throw it on the table as a co-op game for folks who have only tried a few co-op games and have it be a solid experience vanilla. Perfect!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of other small points to make - there are 8 events in the game while you would normally have only five in vanilla - or 4 in the case of your first game of Pandemic Legacy. You could use all 8 (making for a slightly easier game) or choose 4 - if you were to use the Legacy set up rules you get to choose which 4 (after seeing the cube distribution); if you want to keep it simple you could choose 4 in advance.

Also, I think base game is actually down on the number of characters compared to the base game, as well as the swap - there's only 5 characters in freshly opened Pandemic Legacy. They're the Scientist, Researcher, Medic, Dispatcher and Generalist. Fine for an opening game or two, of course - only an issue if you wanted to play a lot of games with it, which doesn't sound like your situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are enough differences that someone familiar with Pandemic still needs to read the Pandemic Legacy rules carefully, particularly in the sections that aren't explicitly Legacy related, but none of them are really game-changing.

Playing non-Legacy PL is going to give a pretty similar experience to playing Pandemic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
A couple of other small points to make - there are 8 events in the game while you would normally have only five in vanilla - or 4 in the case of your first game of Pandemic Legacy. You could use all 8 (making for a slightly easier game) or choose 4 - if you were to use the Legacy set up rules you get to choose which 4 (after seeing the cube distribution); if you want to keep it simple you could choose 4 in advance.

Actually, you're supposed to use 5 events when playing in vanilla mode. (This is an omission from the rulebook, but Rob Daviau mentioned it on BGG.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinicius Rezende
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Mostly the same. The role switch was mentioned above. There's a few more connections on the map (Sao Paolo is no longer isolated to one connection, there's one more South America to Africa connection, etc). But overall it's plain old vanilla Pandemic.


You mean Santiago is no longer isolated to one connection.

clivej wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
A couple of other small points to make - there are 8 events in the game while you would normally have only five in vanilla - or 4 in the case of your first game of Pandemic Legacy. You could use all 8 (making for a slightly easier game) or choose 4 - if you were to use the Legacy set up rules you get to choose which 4 (after seeing the cube distribution); if you want to keep it simple you could choose 4 in advance.

Actually, you're supposed to use 5 events when playing in vanilla mode. (This is an omission from the rulebook, but Rob Daviau mentioned it on BGG.)


Or, given that there are more than 5 events, I would recommend using the expansion updated rules on Events: shuffle randonly 2 per player (4 in a 2-player game, 6 in a 3-player game and 8 in a 4-player game).


Another change is that Vanilla Pandemic comes with 6 Epidemic cards. I think 'unopened' Legacy comes with 5.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Inserting five of your choice, having seen the initial infection, is likely to be better practice for legacy mode, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.