BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for recommended games to get my wife into gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any recommendations of games that may be good to get my wife into board gaming.

I've tried and failed a couple of times before and she was put off by the more competitive games that I tend to like, probably along with their fantasy/sci-fi themes which are just not her thing. She started to get a bit more interested again now that our two boys are starting to show some interest so I thought I might give it another shot.

So your recommendations for good 'gateway' cooperative games with a non-fantasy/non sci-fi theme that play well with two players in under 60 minutes are welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
What games does she like or is at least willing to play? What does she like about those games? What doesn't she like?

If a game is overly fiddly, highly luck driven, or has convoluted rules; my wife is out. She will voluntarily play Qwirkle, Sushi Go, and Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are a few great couples games that got us started and we still enjoy together:

Lost Cities
Patchwork
Jaipur
Biblios
Fungi

Edit: Missed the co-op part. These are not very competitive though so still might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Jaipur and Patchwork is atop my wish list. My wife tends to favor co-ops, even if its the harder to grasp ones like Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. She's a nurse by trade, so she loves Pandemic. Fury of Dracula (third edition) can be cooperative as long as your wife isn't playing the role of Dracula.

The key you need to think about is what resonates with your wife and what doesn't. For instance, my wife likes Dominion. It's simple to grasp, yet interesting and intellectually challenging. So I thought it was a natural that she would like Star Realms, right? After all, it's basically the same game, but with head-to-head combat. Well, she didn't even want to try it. "I hate the science fiction theme" she said. So I guess Cosmic Encounter, Forbidden Stars and all those Fantasy Flight Star Wars games are out. Oh well.

If she doesn't like high fantasy, or space exploration or whatever, you are going to lose the battle before it starts no matter how good the game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't like playing games, but I got her to play Betrayal at House on the Hill, and she loved it! You may give that a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? What?
Antarctica
msg tools
+ 1 for Pandemic
But maybe a simple card based game may be fun for her to try
Love Letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about pirates ? Dead Men Tell No Tales
Or student wizard that are in no way like Harry Potter ? The Big Book of Madness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I am a woman, and someone's wife...

Co-operative games:
+1 for Pandemic (though you'll lose more than you win)
+1 for Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert (though easier to win with 2 players, they're good for the whole family)

I also very much enjoy Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game as a cooperative game - there's a lot of story involved, not just zombies, and my husband and I enjoy it as a 2 player game.

Not co-op, but not overly competitive either:
Seeland (super cheap on Amazon right now)
Small World (as long as she accepts that she will get attacked and is expected to attack every round, because losing territories and changing races is the main part of the game)
Viticulture Essential Edition (haven't played, but it's on my list, and is probably the #1 game I see when people comment "my girlfriend/wife loves this game")

Update: Another non co-op game that many people like (I do not, personally), that is not at all competitive (very little direct player interaction) and is an excellent gateway game: Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanssouci

It's pretty and peaceful. Design gardens and walk through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
GoingTopShelf wrote:
...my wife likes Dominion. It's simple to grasp, yet interesting and intellectually challenging. So I thought it was a natural that she would like Star Realms, right? After all, it's basically the same game, but with head-to-head combat. Well, she didn't even want to try it. "I hate the science fiction theme" she said.

I said the same thing to my husband for about a month, and finally gave it a try. I now LOVE this game, and my husband doesn't want to play anymore because I usually win.

(If you can get your wife to read it, I wrote a "review" of it on the game's page, talking about how much I dislike sci-fi games and how hard it was for my husband to get me to play, but how this one surprised me. I like Dominion well enough, but I love Star Realms.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I used to get my wife into the hobby were Ticket to Ride, Jaipur, Dead Man's Draw, Trekking, and Alhambra.
The two player rules for Alhambra include a dummy player, but I just handled all those steps so she didn't have to worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Salazar
msg tools
mb
The games that made all my friend's wives gamers are Sleeping Queens and Dixit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I forgot about Alhambra, that one is good too (not a co-op though). Very zen, very little direct player interaction, just focusing on building up your garden and having more of some color than other players. Also good for the whole family.

A couple of annoying things as a two-player game, though: 1) having to remove 1 of each money, especially if you just played a game with 3+ players and it's all shuffled; 2) the "dummy player" - we use the dummy player to deplete tiles so the game doesn't drag on forever, but ignore it when it comes to scoring (doesn't make a huge difference in the end, at least when we've played this way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PerpetualFX wrote:
GoingTopShelf wrote:
...my wife likes Dominion. It's simple to grasp, yet interesting and intellectually challenging. So I thought it was a natural that she would like Star Realms, right? After all, it's basically the same game, but with head-to-head combat. Well, she didn't even want to try it. "I hate the science fiction theme" she said.

I said the same thing to my husband for about a month, and finally gave it a try. I now LOVE this game, and my husband doesn't want to play anymore because I usually win.

(If you can get your wife to read it, I wrote a "review" of it on the game's page, talking about how much I dislike sci-fi games and how hard it was for my husband to get me to play, but how this one surprised me. I like Dominion well enough, but I love Star Realms.)

Great, I will definitely urge her to read it. Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yeah, gotta figure out all the stuff that she hates rather than what she likes. For instance my wife won't play anything much longer than an hour, any scifi themes, any fantasy themes, any games with dice or with a lot of different cards that are text heavy. That right away gets rid of 78% of games. Then go from there.

Or Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Frick

Iowa
msg tools
The way I did it was I focused on art styles she loved. Once see was intrigued by the art it was easy to get her into the games. Dixit is a good starter as is Stone Age. Castles of burgundy was what pushed it over the top though. Excellent game that really ignighted both of our loves for gaming and still one of our favorites to this day. The card game isn't bad either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
I second Forbidden Island. It's a great starter game with not too many mechanics though it's still complex enough to be interesting.

I had to set aside table top gaming until very recently. My boyfriend had never really been into that kind of thing, but we tried Forbidden Island and were super addicted. We now have Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert and Pandemic. All made by the same guy and all super addicting and fun. We now play every night. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want a game that meets the following criteria:

1. Short.
2. Simple.
3. Nice bits.
4. Theme-light.
5. Solid art.
6. Plays well with 2.

Splendor. Spendor is the game you are looking for. Many of the above require more time or more people than you want; others have heavy and/or dark themes. I would not get a coop yet unless you think that your two personalities would work well together on the same team, starting this board gaming adventure. If she's going to feel like it's your thing and she's just watching you play, then don't start there.

If she likes Splendor, I'd consider Castles of Burgundy, Dominion, and/or Forbidden Island down the road. My 2 cents.

Happy hunting, and please let us know what you decide and how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for all the recommendations and advice. I think I'll start having borrowing/acquiring a few of the suggestions (pandemic, forbidden island, Splendor, etc).

I'll let you know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm in a very similar situation with my wife very reluctant to play games.

Games that have gone down well in the case of my wife are Carcassonne and For Sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Takenoko. Different theme. Great art. Simple gameplay. Mildly competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback is worth a look if you think she might like wordgames. It can be played cooperatively as a couple.

For more ideas, see What Couples Have Been Playing - September 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a theme or setting that interests the person is always a good starting point.

What are her hobbies, interests, favorite TV shows, movies or books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks cornishlee! loads of great ideas in that thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.