$4 - Feast
$4 - Spy
$4 - Thief
$3 - Woodcutter

New Cards

Quote:
Artisan
$6 Action

Gain a card to your hand costing up to $5.
Put a card from your hand onto your deck.

Quote:
Bandit
$5 Action - Attack

Gain a Gold. Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes a revealed Treasure other than Copper, and discards the rest.

Quote:
Harbinger
$3 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action

Look through your discard pile. You may put a card from it onto your deck.

Quote:
Merchant
$3 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action

The first time you play a Silver this turn, +$1.

Quote:
Poacher
$4 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

Discard a card per empty Supply pile.

Quote:
Sentry
$5 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action

Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Trash and/or discard any number of them. Put the rest back on top in any order.

Quote:
Vassal
$3 Action

+$2

Discard the top card of your deck. If it is an Action card, you may play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Vassal costs $3. Someone somewhere put $2 in there and it has been endlessly quoted, but look at the image, it costs $3. I did not actually check the rest of your post for accuracy, I just knew Vassal would have the wrong cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Newman
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Any playstesters able to comment why or how these new ones are better?

Also the merchant, it adds $1 after I buy a silver? I feel i probably wont have enough leftover to buy anything useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read that is that one of your silvers is worth $3 when it comes time to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Interesting. Any playstesters able to comment why or how these new ones are better?

Also the merchant, it adds $1 after I buy a silver? I feel i probably wont have enough leftover to buy anything useful.

Play a Silver, not buy a Silver.

There will be a Secret History around the time the cards are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

After you play a Silver, not buy. It effectively makes the first Silver worth a Gold.

Edit: ninjax2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Any playstesters able to comment why or how these new ones are better?

More fun. On average these new cards seem to generate more fun in the play of Dominion than have their predecessors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get Poacher's ability (what it is good for). Granted I'm not exactly a Dominion stalwart...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:
I don't get Poacher's ability (what it is good for). Granted I'm not exactly a Dominion stalwart...

- Tunnel (obviously).
- Draw to x cards (Library, Watchtower etc).
- Any card where you reveal your hand and get a benefit from not having certain things (e.g. Shanty Town).
- You are about to trigger a re-shuffle and want to put a power card that you don't need this turn into that shuffle.
- Defence against Haunted Woods.
- Anything else I haven't thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:
In the base game, it synergizes well with Workshop. It's not bad to get a deck full of them, but it gets worse in long games.

I don't know what percentage of games end with 3 piles with new players, but would find that interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:

It's the 75% of a Market you actually care about for a $1 discount. There's a slight drawback if the game runs long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
kolok wrote:

It's the 75% of a Market you actually care about for a $1 discount. There's a slight drawback if the game runs long.

Yes, I got that thank you, the use(fulness) of the discard ability was not obvious but my experiences with Dominion has been limited to a couple of base sessions and a single one with Intrigue and Seaside each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
kolok wrote:

Yes, I got that thank you, the use(fulness) of the discard ability was not obvious but my experiences with Dominion has been limited to a couple of base sessions and a single one with Intrigue and Seaside each.

It's not meant to be useful. It's meant to be a drawback, but there are ways of exploiting it, as mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

The cards that were removed just sucked. It would be rare that I would purchase any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will the upgrade pack be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nade L
msg tools
What surprises me most is the removal of Woodcutter without adding another +buy card. Yeah woodcutter isn't exciting but when it's your only +buy option on engine boards you buy it. Just surprised none of the new cards give +buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
dandechino wrote:
When will the upgrade pack be available?

I think they've already shipped to distributors. So, soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Any playstesters able to comment why or how these new ones are better?

I only played with Sentry and Bandit out, but I liked Sentry a lot. (I'm a big Spy fan, too.) I, uh, didn't enjoy so much the people playing Bandit on me, though. (But I'd wager they did.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Hobbs
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one that I don't understand axing is Feast...certainly not the best card ever, but it can be used for some powerful strategies; perhaps most notable is rushing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
New cards. Same meh artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Muller
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
nerman8r wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:

The cards that were removed just sucked. It would be rare that I would purchase any of them.

They were very situational! I have found a situation where they were all the preferred buy but it was pretty rare.

Personally I think removing Thief was dumb as it was a strong card against Chapel (in a base set only game) and was not just good with Gardens but a lot of fun to experience for the first time.

Poacher is a reasonable response to a curse heavy setup.

Chancellor is a good card because it helps to define the difference between "putting" cards in the discard pile and discarding them.

Without Thief or Feast to increase the chance at an early hit of 5-cost card, Chapel is just broken in any non-miltia base set only game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
IceHot wrote:

Without Thief or Feast to increase the chance at an early hit of 5-cost card, Chapel is just broken in any non-miltia base set only game.

Almost certainly someone who buys Chapel is going to win. Fortunately there are 9 other kingdom cards and 7 other base cards that will contribute to their victory. I think there is a lot of game to go past the first 2 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in Dominion champs a couple years ago at Gencon. (Prelims) I was at the final table and Chapel was there. Everyone including me took Chapel except one guy. Guess who won?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IceHot wrote:
Personally I think removing Thief was dumb...
Thief is a slow card. You play it. You have to remind everyone what it does. Then you have to look at each player's cards in turn. Then you have to consider what to collect.

For beginners, it's a very slow card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.