Subject: Does Mission: Red Planet "Fire" El Grande? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughn Egge
United States
Oakland
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
So...I have El Grande and I've played it a couple times. I enjoy its elegance and clean, unencumbered delivery of area control/majority. However, for some reason, I'm never particularly excited to play it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's a bit dry for me but I definitely skew Euro. Maybe I find the phase transitions to be a little awkward or choppy. Not sure. Regardless...

...I'd heard of this "classic" called Mission: Red Planet and became curiouser and curiouser when I heard that it was being reprinted. I've now watched a couple of videos about it and reeeeaaaaally like what I've seen and heard. So...all this leads to my question. Has Mission: Red Planet replaced El Grande for anyone? (Translation: Can I just purchase this game and free my copy of El Grande into the universe?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 'No'. I love them both, but they are very different in my eyes. M:RP is so chaotic (but FUN!), El Grande much more brainy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing will fire El Grande for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably. It depends on how much you like the action selection from the hand of cards. I own MRP, which I enjoy. I've played El Grande once. I can see how it was an important landmark game. But I don't feel the need to own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Nothing will fire El Grande for me.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission Red Planet is chaotic and, for me, doesn't reward planning. I bought it, played it once and sold it on.

I have had board games grow on me greatly from a low start point, so I may not have given it a fair chance. But I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Egge
United States
Oakland
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for your speedy responses, everyone.

To epilepticemu's points, the hand of cards action selection seems present in both games (a little quicker/tighter in MRP maybe?). To which are you referring. Would you mind explaining a little more what you mean? It seems quite important. Thanks.

And when you say "chaotic", bloseth, it worries me a little as I DO, again, skew Euro. Do you mean like Revolution chaotic or RoboRally chaotic? Also, would you still consider MRP strategic with El Grande simply being more cerebrally involved (almost Analysis Paralysis-inducing)?

Thanks to everyone again for your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both but i consider M:RP to be a much lighter/quicker option. For me it's definitely not a replacement. The simultaneous role selection and nature of the actions make it much more chaotic than El Grande. Sometimes I want that, sometimes not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No way. It's funny because I got El Grande after M:RP, and El Grande almost fires M:RP for me. M:RP is more chaotic and thematic, while El Grande is more strategic and honestly a bit bland when it comes to theme. I get different feelings when playing each one, and will be keeping both in my collection. I generally consider El Grande a better game, but M:RP plays up to 6 players, so it has a leg up there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are in my Top 10. Neither would fire the other - in fact I never would have thought to compare them. El Grande feels much more about the area control and M:RP feels much more about the roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davaughnci wrote:
And when you say "chaotic", bloseth, it worries me a little as I DO, again, skew Euro. Do you mean like Revolution chaotic or RoboRally chaotic?
Wait a minute... who says that Revolution! is chaotic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Both are in my Top 10. Neither would fire the other - in fact I never would have thought to compare them. El Grande feels much more about the area control and M:RP feels much more about the roles.

This. The area control stuff in MRP is sort of a convoluted score board, the meat of the game is the secret role selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarkov
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
srcabeza wrote:

This. The area control stuff in MRP is sort of a convoluted score board, the meat of the game is the secret role selection.

And this is exactly what I was just about to post. The roles and rockets part of MRP is where the fun is. The controlling the Mars surface part is a bit static.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you skew more Euro, you won't like MRP. It is definitely a touch more chaotic and tactical, where El Grande is more strategic. I like the factor in MRP where everyone has the same hand of cards (which grant specific abilities) and has to choose when to use them. But it's definitely a less deep game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.