25.9% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone else has considered retroactively applying the Shadowcaster turret rules to all prior turreted ships. I suppose one might want to do the same with turret upgrades too.

The question is whether this under powers those ships/upgrades given their given point costs? And if so, how much of a deduction to points would be appropriate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely underpowers them. The Shadowcaster makes up for its relative lack of flexibility compared to turrets by having abilities that tie into having enemy ships in its mobile arc. The reduction in actions for all other turreted ships (which would have to spend actions to reposition their arcs) without anything to make up for the loss would throw the balance way off. Turrets in themselves aren't that powerful these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make Autothruster less good because suddently an arc is on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought about it? Yes. However, the problems as I see it with doing this:

1. It absolutely underpowers the ships, and their point values are now skewed way high. I couldn't even begin to guess at an appropriate cost reduction.

2. They would lose action economy big time. Right now, all three of the named Shadow Caster pilots, plus the title card and some of the upgrades give benefits for positioning of the mobile arc, which helps make up for the loss of action to reposition. How would the other ships make up this same gap?

3. You would then need to do this for all secondary turret weapons, and find a way to cost them appropriately and make up for action loss for repositioning.

A part of me wishes that they had done this with turrets from the start, but it seems too challenging to try this retroactively with how pervasive they are in the game.

My $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
It would make Autothruster less good because suddently an arc is on you.

...and I am fine with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action economy is a serious concern. Yet, there is another option folks...

Make changing the now-limited turret's facing a free action (or simply add a new rule whereby one adjust turret-facing during a specific point of a turn [perhaps upon execution of one's maneuver]).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.