Twilight Struggle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What's your favorite killer combo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The more I play this game the more great combos I discover, or more often, the more I am introduced to (not in a good way!).

I've learned the hard way just how brutal a Red Scare/Purge followed by a Quagmire/Bear Trap can be.

And recently I was just blown away (literally!) when my U.S. play of Nuke Subs was countered by a U.S.S.R. play of How I Learned to Stop Worrying to put Defcon to 5, from where they then then proceeded to realign the hell out of me all over and I was powerless to stop them.

So what's your favorite TS killer combo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Nothing better than Turn 4 headline Cuban Missile Crisis as USA when USSR has no influence in Cuba, and then walking from Panama to Chile, using Lone Gunman and Che along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once played Red Scare/Purge + Bear Trap on Turn 5, and found him with a hand of nothing but 2 Ops, so he couldn't discard and had to skip almost the entire turn.

Which would have been bad enough, had I not played SALT Negotiations, re-drew Red Scare/Purge, and headlined it again on Turn 6, keeping him in the Bear Trap.

The best part was, because he had to skip so many action rounds on Turn 5, he had to hold something like 6 cards to Turn 6. And because he could only draw 3 cards, he didn't draw any cards that could get him out of the Bear Trap, meaning he ended up having to skip another turn, holding all of his crappy cards yet again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russians have some good headline combos with scoring cards:

Liberation Theology followed by Central America
Decol and Africa

This can net quite a few points as they can be used to remove presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Under Containment, sometimes I'll play Nasser as event first and then risk a 2 Op coup on Egypt. A big enough roll (4+) completely neutralizes a good Soviet card (the opposite combo is fun, too: keep Nasser in play as the USSR, then play Sadat before Nasser triggers). A failed roll still gives me the mil ops I needed on Turn 1. Especially useful if I got wiped out from T1 HL/AR1 Suez+Iran coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray donovan
msg tools
MichaelVal wrote:
Nothing better than Turn 4 headline Cuban Missile Crisis as USA when USSR has no influence in Cuba, and then walking from Panama to Chile, using Lone Gunman and Che along the way.

Folowed by a salt negociation/ABM pick Ar7 and the game is almost over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Patnik
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I really like a CIA/Lone Gunman/Ames HL when holding Missile Envy (or sometimes FYP). Often times the exact hand knowledge can allow you to engineer a situation where you know what you are going to get, and it is the worst possible card for your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I once pulled off a combo like this:

Missile Envy
...drawing Grain Sales to Soviets
...drawing Nixon Plays the China Card
...drawing the China Card.

My opponent's response was "well, that was a combo and a half".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
I think I once pulled off a combo like this:

Missile Envy
...drawing Grain Sales to Soviets
...drawing Nixon Plays the China Card
...drawing the China Card.

My opponent's response was "well, that was a combo and a half".

That was a misplay i think

Missile Envy pulls the highest Ops from a hand, and if tied opponent chooses.

But it can happen with Five Year Plan instead of Missile Envy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was a long time ago, and I forget the exact details. But it was definitely a sequence that reduced his effective hand size by 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
It was a long time ago, and I forget the exact details. But it was definitely a sequence that reduced his effective hand size by 3.

Must have been 5YP then. The sequence would be: 5YP discards Grain Sales, drawing Nixon which draws the China Card.

If it was Missile Envy, opponent would receive ME and it would only reduce by 2 cards (Nixon and China).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
I was the U.S. and in a good winning position going into Turn 10 and my opponent headlined the Iranian Hostage Crisis. He then followed up with Terrorism thus pulling two cards from my hand. The next turn he used SALT Negotiations to bring Terrorism back into his hand and you can guess what happened next. I was pretty much paralyzed for the entire turn. I still won the game by one point after he was able to tweak some positioning on the board. I always say don't count yourself in any card driven game. He almost took the lead from me and won by an amazing combo and some luck. It made for a great ending to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Avery
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
These are fun to read. This is by no means a killer combo, but there is something satisfying about playing Nuclear Subs as the USSR on AR6 and then safely playing CIA on AR7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
I once played Red Scare/Purge + Bear Trap on Turn 5, and found him with a hand of nothing but 2 Ops, so he couldn't discard and had to skip almost the entire turn.

Which would have been bad enough, had I not played SALT Negotiations, re-drew Red Scare/Purge, and headlined it again on Turn 6, keeping him in the Bear Trap.

I have done this, and I think my neighbors knew when I did it as they probably heard the howls of rage and maniacal laughter when it happened.

alexdrazen wrote:
JackRudd wrote:

Must have been 5YP then. The sequence would be: 5YP discards Grain Sales, drawing Nixon which draws the China Card.

Man, I just realized on a single AR, if the Soviets had extremely bad luck, you could play Missle Envy to get 5YP, and then draw Grain Sales, to pull Terrorism and chuck another card leaving them a net 3 cards short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the US I had Shuttle Diplomacy in place from a turn ago. Played Bear Trap that wasn't cancelled. Followed this up with The Voice of America where I removed USSRs control of any battleground in the Middle East. USSR being still trapped couldn't counter. I then played the ME scoring card for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.