Hide
10 Posts

Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » Variants

Subject: PEACH: Locations variant RPG feel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Korte
msg tools
In order to make the game feel a little more like an RPG, I came up with some locations to flip for each scene, as though the scene itself happens in that location for all runners.
I also plan on printing off an map of the city with routes drawn in, to simulate the travel routes available between scenes. You can only travel through one location between scenes, and may end up not travelling through at all, depending on the flipped location cards.

The idea is that at the start of Scene 1, you flip the first Location card and travel to there before flipping any obstacle cards. Locations make the scene a little more difficult, but travelling through a location gives the runners a little buff to compensate.

Here's what I've got, please give me feedback with your criticism, Suggestions very gladly accepted. I did make this fairly uniform, so I'm open to suggestions for balance and flavor.

Also, I have no idea how to make this into a table, so I'm coding the types.

Starting location: Safe House at Tabletop Games.

Location name
Type of location
Scene effect
Travel Effect
The Plaza
Black Market
All cards cost +1 ¥
Each runner may cycle a card from the Black Market that matches his role
Sprint Corp
Tech Zone
All Tech obstacles deal +1 damage
Each Runner may trade 1 Green damage for 2 blank damage
Swope Park
Mage Zone
All Mage obstacles deal +1 damage
Each Runner may trade 1 Blue damage for 2 blank damage
North Kansas City
Street Samurai Zone
All Weapon obstacles deal +1 damage
Each Runner may trade 1 Black damage for 2 blank damage
Power & Light
Face Zone
All Face Obstacles deal +1 damage
Each Runner may trade 1 Red damage for 2 blank damage
The Legends
Black Market
Cycle the highest cost card in the black market. Repeat until the revealed card is a cost 2¥
Each Runner gains +1 ¥
Grandview Triangle - Cerner and GEHA
Tech Zone
Tech cards cost +1 ¥
The first time a runner plays a Hacking card in the round, it deals +1 green damage
Shawnee
Mage Zone
Spell cards cost +1 ¥
The first time a runner plays a Spell card in the round, it deals +1 Blue damage
39th and Troost
Street Samurai
Weapon cards cost +1 ¥
The first time a runner plays a Weapon card in the round, it deals +1 Black damage
City Hall
Face
Face cards cost +1 ¥
The first time a runner plays a Face card in the round, it deals +1 Red damage
Lenexa
Elven Territory

All Elf Obstacles deal +1 damage
Each Runner may draw a card then discard a card; Elven Runners do not have to discard
Olathe
Orc Territory
All Orc Obstacles deal +1 damage
Choose: +1 ¥ or draw a card, then discard a card. Orc runners get both
Liberty
Dwarf Territory
All Dwarf Obstacles deal +1 damage
Dwarf obstacles provide +1 ¥ when defeated
AMC
Troll Territory
All Troll obstacles deal +1 damage
The first time you draw cards to fill your hand, draw an extra card, then discard a card. Troll runners do not discard and may draw up to 4 cards
Independence
Human Territory
All Human obstacles deal +1 damage
Human obstacles provide +1 ¥ when defeated
Shawnee Mission Park
Sixth World
All Sixth World Obstacles deal +1 damage
You may forgo healing. If you do, earn +1 ¥ for each obstacle defeated
Hospital Hill
??
All healing effects are increased by 1, including obstacles that heal between turns
Each Runner heals an additional +1 HP during the travel
Zona Rosa
Black Market
All cards in the Black Market cost +1 ¥
Each Runner may gain +1 ¥ or heal 1 HP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is difficult enough and am wondering how balanced these area cards are. I honestly would prefer more flavor text rather than more effects. Perhaps you can make them double sided with one side entirely thematic and the other with the added effects. Sounds promising.

I think they should be large, like a whole sheet of paper large, so everyone playing can easily see them. It would be cool if they could also serve as a playmat for the obstacles. I would be willing to setup a copy for each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Korte
msg tools
The game is pretty difficult already, but most of the location effects on obstacles would trigger once or twice per scene.
The ones where Black Market items cost more may be too much for all, perhaps revised to Cards associated with your role cost +1.

I'd add some flavor text to them too, that's not so difficult. I think I'd have these printed on larger card size, like tarot sized. A whole sheet is too much, especially since we have the map to lay out as well.
I'd consider using the city map as the playmat, at least to put the black market, Crossfire and obstacle decks on. The routes would have to be color coded too, to make it easier to see where to go next.
Problem with printing a map is that if you add more locations, you need to print a new map.
Maybe it should be draw two Locations, one is the scene location, the other is the travel path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlord Okeer wrote:
The game is pretty difficult already, but most of the location effects on obstacles would trigger once or twice per scene.
The ones where Black Market items cost more may be too much for all, perhaps revised to Cards associated with your role cost +1.

I'd add some flavor text to them too, that's not so difficult. I think I'd have these printed on larger card size, like tarot sized. A whole sheet is too much, especially since we have the map to lay out as well.
I'd consider using the city map as the playmat, at least to put the black market, Crossfire and obstacle decks on. The routes would have to be color coded too, to make it easier to see where to go next.
Problem with printing a map is that if you add more locations, you need to print a new map.
Maybe it should be draw two Locations, one is the scene location, the other is the travel path.

I personally think the map on cards and the locations being on full sized sheets would make for a better combination. Kind of like the map is a GPS of sorts and the full sized image is the scene as you are traveling.

It would be cool if you could include some sort of write up and some scenarios that tied everything together into something with an RPG adventure type feel.

Don't mind anything I say. Do as you see fit. For your variant, if you don't want to change the difficulty any, perhaps you can offset any changes one way with a change going the other way. So if you give a penalty, also give a bonus. This will be more work, but I believe it will be well received.

Whatever you decide to do, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Korte
msg tools
I think I get what you mean with having full sized sheets for the location. More room for flavor text and larger images. Having each location tied to a specific mission could be fun, but repetitive. If they were in a protective sheet and I could write some mission fiction on that, I think that might work out much better.

I'd like the locations to be reusable, and I want the other players to both welcome and dread going to the locations. That's why the travel through part give a bonus or buff, but the actual play location makes it slightly more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tsekos

Kalamata and/or Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW what a nice idea for a small expansion. Thanks m8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you know about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Korte
msg tools
mfenici wrote:
Do you know about this?

Yes, it's where I got the idea for locations from, but I can't see what his Locations are. I did see that he had players flipping several Location cards in each scene, with the runners being at different places.

I wanted to do something a little different, to have the location card be the place where each scene takes place, and then have a travel mechanic in place to give a narrative reason why there's a new scene.

What I'm really looking for is feedback on how the cards function. Are they too difficult? Travel bonuses too much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Each Runner may trade 1 Black damage for 2 blank damage

How can players do this if there are no obstacles in the game during travel phase?

I think that cards function are neat. But I will suggest use locations only after first scene. Or not use bad effect diring first scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Korte
msg tools
Players start at their safe house, they flip Location at the start of the first scene, before knowing what the obstacles are. Then they travel through another location to get to the flipped one. There will be a map on table, with 0-2 travel routes between locations.

As for the travel benefit you quoted, during the scene, they'd be able to trade the 1 color damage for 2 colorless damage.
I think I'll reword these travel benefits slightly, to something like this:
"North KC, where the guns grow on trees" when traveling through this location, your runners have easier access to weapons. Once per scene, you may trade 2 colorless damage for 1 black damage.

This better reflects the idea that when traveling through an area, you get better acces to the theme of the location.
Another option would be for cards in black market to cost 1¥ less when you travel through, sort of like having a pit stop to pick up some goodies on the way to the next scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.