44.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game where you drop components on the board to define actions/resources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: identify [+] [View All]
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it somewhere, but I can't remember where. A game where you drop a bunch of components (chits, cubes, something) from your hand onto the board to define the outcome of your actions or the resources/options you have available. And no, I'm not talking about rolling dice

Please, if you remember, which games have a "component drop" mechanism?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Stellar Conflict maybe ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:

Thanks, but not quite. I'm not talking about placing components, but like holding them in your hand above the board, and then opening your hand so they drop onto the board. With some chits having different powers if they fall one side or the other, or others affecting cards or places on the board if they fall in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shipley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virus, perhaps?

Virus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
You could do that with Five Tribes, though you'd then need to arrange it to 3 meeples/tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I remember a game like this, but I can't think of what it was. A couple games that sort of do what you describe include Coin Age and Safranito.

Edit: The Rattus: Jester Promo Card works like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Rattle, Battle, Grab the Loot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rws2029 wrote:
Virus, perhaps?

Virus

That one! Yes! Thank you Richard thumbsup

You drop your resources over your player board, and keep only those that touch certain areas. I wonder if there are other games that do something like that. I bet there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great examples. Thank you guys. Safranito kind of mixes throwing with aiming, so that's another thing altogether. I think the real beauty of this mechanism is how it randomizes the scenario, so aiming takes it more to the realm of dexterity games, and there are many games that do that.

Anyways, thanks again for your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some paratrooper scenarios in Memoir '44 work that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pastor_Mora wrote:
rws2029 wrote:
Virus, perhaps?

Virus

That one! Yes! Thank you Richard thumbsup

You drop your resources over your player board, and keep only those that touch certain areas. I wonder if there are other games that do something like that. I bet there are.

Carnival Zombie has a rule where you drop the zombies you eliminate onto a side-board. The ones that fall off, go back into play. Not quite as in-depth as what Virus does.

I think I saw a review of a game that has you try to toss dice onto your opponents cards. I don't remember the name of the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monstrous has something similar although you toss one card out trying to touch other cards that have been tossed and gain effects based on what is touching
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Amerigo you drop action cubes into a tower, and you can only use what comes out of the tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Some paratrooper scenarios in Memoir '44 work that way.

If I recall, there was also a paratrooper scenario in Combat Commander: Europe that used this random dropping technique. (And probably in various other tactical WW2 games.)

I've not played FlowerFall, but I believe it also uses dropping from above.

And there are things like "thumb of god" in Wiz-War and Carcassonne: Catapult...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terror in Meeple City
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the title as opponents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:
I read the title as opponents...

that would be professional wrestling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Diceland was the first game I played that centered around throwing components - it's a miniatures game with big paper d8's that enter the board by throwing them and sometimes can "jump" and get thrown again (IIRC - it's been a long time since I played it).

I play Flowerfall occasionally - very light but fun.

Paratrooper drops in Memoir 44 is always fun, although the board is small enough that you basically just drop in the middle, hoping as many stay on the board as possible. We tried something similar in homemade Heroscape scenarios, just don't do it with the bigger minis.

I'm not sure if I'd be that interested in a more Euro-y game where my actions are determined by a drop, but it seems like it could be an interesting randomization method for determining which actions are available to choose from, or activating random events that affect all the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering had the Chaos Orb that would be dropped/flipped onto the table and would destroy everything it ended up touching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CalicoDave wrote:
Magic: The Gathering had the Chaos Orb that would be dropped/flipped onto the table and would destroy everything it ended up touching.

Or tear it into pieces and spray the table with confetti. We always joked about doing this, and then to my surprise googling showed the actual card exists to allow this:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...
(I stopped playing in 96)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
CalicoDave wrote:

Or tear it into pieces and spray the table with confetti. We always joked about doing this, and then to my surprise googling showed the actual card exists to allow this:

My understanding is that Chaos Confetti came about as a humorous reference to somebody actually tearing up a Chaos Orb and doing just that during a tournament or something.

Astra Titanus has you populating an asteroid field in certain scenarios by raining counters on the board and placing them in whichever hex they are most covering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long, long time, but IIRC Car Wars has a drop stuff on the map mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Diskwars' and 'L5R Diskwars' used the drop missile chits from 12" method for hits and damage wherever they came to rest. Thus easily providing a great way to account for "friendly fire" results. ninja

'Rangewars' and 'Twilight Imperium: Armada' used flipping results disks in the air to resolve hits. Each disk simply provided hit or miss chances, while the TI:A game also used them to resolve chance and type of critical hits.

All of these games were by FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

davidbrit2 wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
CalicoDave wrote:

My understanding is that Chaos Confetti came about as a humorous reference to somebody actually tearing up a Chaos Orb and doing just that during a tournament or something.

It's from the Unglued set, which was a totally irreverent and satirical look at the game and its management. Hilarious set of cards. Happens to be lots of fun to play, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going, Going, GONE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.