Subject: What happens if someone makes an illegal move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing vs a friend today, and he tried to Checkmate Buster with only three aces in hand. I played a throw.

What happens? My position was that an illegal move is essentially the same as playing no card, and that my throw should win combat. Should he pitch all his aces? In the end, I decided to be charitable and allow him to keep his other two aces and treat that round as a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to be honest and admit that, for me, the answer depends on the situation.

When I first taught this game in my group, the players often forgot about the multiple ace rules and played these illegal moves. With a relatively new player, I very often let it go and replayed that combat round. I often treat the first couple of games as learning games anyway.

However, once the players got used to the rules, then I was very explicit in saying that illegal moves are treated as No Card and that the player would have to show me his entire hand (to prove he didn't have enough Aces). There was no requirement to discard the Aces though as I felt that the punishment was already severe enough.

On one particular occasion (after I said this), one of my friends pondered if there was ever a situation where it was still worth it to play an illegal Ace move deliberately. My reply was simply that, while I very much doubted there would ever be a benefit in doing so, if he managed to find that one in a million situation, I would simply deal with it by making the punishment for an illegal move even worse (eg show the entire hand, discard all available Aces AND the round is considered as a No Card). Naturally, I ended my point with a toothy grin. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another friend who has a habit of playing dodges while knocked down, and then wanting to flip the card to the opposite side (Usually only when this would result in a combat win.) I've had to get strict with him about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I was playing vs a friend today, and he tried to Checkmate Buster with only three aces in hand. I played a throw.

What happens? My position was that an illegal move is essentially the same as playing no card, and that my throw should win combat. Should he pitch all his aces? In the end, I decided to be charitable and allow him to keep his other two aces and treat that round as a draw.

I'm not sure if it's spelled out in the new rulebook, but in the old rules it was something like reveal your hand to prove you actually don't have the Aces to spend. Then discard the played Ace, and your opponent takes back their played card and hits you with whatever they want (simulates no-card). I don't think you had to discard additional aces.

themanfromsaturn wrote:
I have another friend who has a habit of playing dodges while knocked down, and then wanting to flip the card to the opposite side (Usually only when this would result in a combat win.) I've had to get strict with him about that.

As far as dodging while knocked down goes, that's a different situation and not really an "illegal" move. The rule is only that you can't dodge while knocked down, not that you cannot play a dodge-card. So if you try to dodge while knocked down and your opponent attacks, they will hit you (similar to trying to dodge a Midori dragon attack)

Playing a dodge while knocked down can be an option to consider if you REALLY expect your opponent to dodge or block, and you have no throws or blcoks, because while you cannot win combat with it, you can not-lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:

What Kweku said.

Also, your friend sounds like a dirty player. Not in playing the dodge but in wanting to flip over the card afterwards. Seriously, that is not something to be tolerated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Greer
United States
Mint Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why not tell him he cant do that and redo the hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.