$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 56.73

4,125 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » General

Subject: Electric Football Player Minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just learned of the Kickstarter... am seriously considering backing it. (Am going through my standard 3-day minimum waiting period before pressing the "pledge" button). In the meantime, after watching the play-thru videos, I wondered if it was ever considered to use actual player miniatures, such as those found in electric football games?

So, was it considered? If so, I assume the idea was found to be unfeasible, but due to what? Large numbers, or some other limitation?

are mini players possible as a an add-on, or arranging through a 3rd party?

Thx!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I've never thought of this but I must admit that I'm not a big fan of those block players myself. I suppose you could use any miniatures you wish as long as the player numbers are visible and readable to both players?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Just learned of the Kickstarter... am seriously considering backing it. (Am going through my standard 3-day minimum waiting period before pressing the "pledge" button). In the meantime, after watching the play-thru videos, I wondered if it was ever considered to use actual player miniatures, such as those found in electric football games?

So, was it considered? If so, I assume the idea was found to be unfeasible, but due to what? Large numbers, or some other limitation?

are mini players possible as a an add-on, or arranging through a 3rd party?

Thx!

Hey Barry!

I just talked about this on a recent podcast! A couple of my playtesters use the electric football miniatures from Tudor games and did all the extras like:
-facxe masks
-numbers
-eye shields
-custom players

It's one of the reasons that I kept the grass/turf texture on the field semi-realistic as well. To allow players to use miniature and allow players to have the game look more like a simulation if wanted.

I didn't work out a deal to have them as an add on or part of a special pledge as it just ends up increasing the funding goal, doesn't net a real discount, or go towards the actual manufacturing of the game. I do fully support people using miniatures though, and I designed the field and squares with that in mind.

There are some other electric football miniature companies out there that offer some really cool figures in the same scale. I want to see games pimped out with minis!!cool
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Palmer
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tudor Games - as Brent pointed out - has lots of options, although it could get pricey...but it could look sensational!
http://www.tudorgames.com/
The options to pimp out the figures is insane...didn't know this sub-culture existed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom black
United States
santa monica
California
flag msg tools
Amazon has some teams set under $3 per team.

I purchased 6 for Techno Bowl

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ2QDB0/ref=od_aui_deta...
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

voodooink wrote:
I just talked about this on a recent podcast! A couple of my playtesters use the electric football miniatures from Tudor games and did all the extras like...
...
I do fully support people using miniatures though, and I designed the field and squares with that in mind.

Brent,
Great response! OK, Now I'm 100% sure I'm going to pledge!

Thx!

Edit: OK, I just checked out one of the Tudor web pages... what size player should I be looking at? "Regular" size? Such as here: http://www.tudorgames.com/customs/pre-painted-electric-footb...

1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Brent,
Great response! OK, Now I'm 100% sure I'm going to pledge!

Thx!

Edit: OK, I just checked out one of the Tudor web pages... what size player should I be looking at? "Regular" size? Such as here: http://www.tudorgames.com/customs/pre-painted-electric-footb...

Excellent!

The 'regular size' is the one you want. My playtesters use gaming bases from Litko when modding the minis for the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Another alternative:

My kids have a set of Football Guys, which are basically high-quality "green army men" in football poses. They're great fun for imaginative play for the kids, and I imagine you could easily convert them for use in Techno Bowl.
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Another alternative:

My kids have a set of Football Guys, which are basically high-quality "green army men" in football poses. They're great fun for imaginative play for the kids, and I imagine you could easily convert them for use in Techno Bowl.

You absolutely could!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The "football guys" are about twice the size of the Tudor figs, but do come with a large football field which could easily be marked off with a Sharpie into squares corresponding to the Techno Bowl playing surface.

I hadn't thought of this, even though I have a set of them somewhere. Wow, "Mega-Techno-Bowl!" I like the thought of it.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.