Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game, and played it once solo, and twice with friends. Simple mechanics, thoughtful strategies...sweet game. Want to move on to greater levels. Now for some questions...

1) Can your own ships land on your Home System for anything other than repairs? The fact that it is colonized would suggest "No!", but the competing fact that there is no marker token on it would suggest that it is a point of deployment both at the beginning and throughout the game.

2) Can your own ships pass freely through your own Home system? We have said yes, but again are not sure.

3) When your ships cannot move from their present location, and the game subsequently ends, do you score the planets from the system in which they were neutralized? We have said no, but are not sure.

4) When scoring the largest contiguous system, do spaceships count if they are part of a connecting chain of systems? Colonies on blank spaces do, but what about spaceships that are immobilized?

Now all we have done is play the basic game, and want to move on but would appreciate some feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read the rules, you have to colonize a hex when your ship lands on it. Thus, you are not allowed to move your ship if you are not able to colonize the hex subsequently. Therefore, you will never have a ship on a hex without a colony or trade station (except for your home system).

Regarding your questions, some of which has been raised before:

1) No (at least until the designer says differently).

2) Yes

3) I suppose when you say neutralized you mean a blocked ship on a planetary system but without a marker? That should not be possible. As described above, I do not think you are allowed to move into a system if you cannot colonize it. If you have no markers (colonies or trade stations) left, you cannot colonize it, and cannot move into it.

4) Only colonized hexes counts (and your Homeworld is colonized). You should not be able to have your ship on a non-colonized hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify the question...I move my ship to an open system. Do I place a marker immediately at the end of my move? If yes then a colony or trade station will share the space with my ship until my next move. We have been playing that the colony or trade marker is placed when The ship leaves that system.

Thus, when a ship cannot make any moves (the way we have played it) it is essentially lost in space. At the end of the game all three players have had all their ships in uncolonized territories because of our order of play. If a marker is placed at the end of movement but before the next move phase then that resolves a couple of questions.

Thanks for the reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
El Hidalgo wrote:
Just to clarify the question...I move my ship to an open system. Do I place a marker immediately at the end of my move? If yes then a colony or trade station will share the space with my ship until my next move. We have been playing that the colony or trade marker is placed when The ship leaves that system.

Thus, when a ship cannot make any moves (the way we have played it) it is essentially lost in space. At the end of the game all three players have had all their ships in uncolonized territories because of our order of play. If a marker is placed at the end of movement but before the next move phase then that resolves a couple of questions.

Thanks for the reset.

Happy to help.

As further evidence: At virtually all the pictures of games in progess, all ships are located in hexes with a colony or trade station.

See e.g.:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Tasevski
Macedonia
Skopje
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
El Hidalgo wrote:

Thanks for the reset.

Hi Ricatoni,

First of all, thank you for supporting and playing the game! :)

The Player of Games answered your questions correctly. But let me clarify:

The move rule says that after you move your ship, you MUST place a Colony or a Trade Station. If you cannot place either (you have run out of components) you do not take any more turns, and the game basically ends for you there. So in the base game (with no variants), your ship may not end it's move in a non-colonized system. However, if you use the unexplored systems and run into an asteroid field, your ship gets damaged (turned horizontaly) and you do not place Colony or Trade Station there. And finally, if this happens, your ship doesn't control that system, thus it doesn't count towards the largest territory bonus at the end. :)

Hope this helps!
-Milan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool You gotta love it when the designer answers the questions about their games.

We were placing the colonies after we left the system. I was given the proper reset on that and now look forward to asteroid fields, wormholes, and black holes.
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Tasevski
Macedonia
Skopje
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
El Hidalgo wrote:
:cool: You gotta love it when the designer answers the questions about their games.

We were placing the colonies after we left the system. I was given the proper reset on that and now look forward to asteroid fields, wormholes, and black holes.
:arrrh:

No problem, glad to be of help! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.