Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Dominion Card Picker has 1st editions & Update Packs; should it also include 2nd editions?
My Dominion Card Randomizer includes all the first editions, promotional cards, and now the Update Packs. Technically, this includes every card in the game. …but if, for example, the dog ate your 1e base game, and you used the timely misfortune as an excuse to just get the 2e base game, then when one of the 7 "dumped" cards, such as Adventurer, comes up, you'd have to "veto" it by clicking on it. So, at the good suggestion of Oskar 10101, I have created this poll to see what people would prefer.
Which combination of sets should the randomizer include?
1st edition + update pack (2nd edition owners must veto Adventurer, Chancellor, Feast, Spy, Thief, and Woodcutter if they come up) — This is how it is currently; it includes all the cards, but favors us 8-year Dominion collectors.
1st edition + update pack + 2nd edition (1st edition owners must exclude 2nd edition; owners of both editions would have to veto duplicate cards)
1st edition + update pack + 2nd edition + additional programming to automatically filter duplicate card names for owners of both editions (1st edition owners must still exclude 2nd edition)
      67 answers
Poll created by zefquaavius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about 2e only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
splatteredbits wrote:
How about 2e only?
laugh Well, I'm not giving that option, because 8 years' worth of Dominion fans have the 1st edition, so I'm definitely not going to abandon them (us!) by excluding 1e. Even the current randomizer supports someone who only has 2e, though. For example..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Wallace
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think the key thing is that your randomizer should be accessible to those who have either 1st or 2nd edition, as any random player that might stumble upon your page could potentially have either base set. If a card comes up that is either 1st/2nd edition, I'd have that appear in a separate removable area (Base - 1st/Base - 2nd) similar to any other expansion, so a player who doesn't have that particular set can remove it like any other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st edition + update pack + 2nd edition

Anyone who owns both 1st and 2nd edition should pick to include the update pack rather than 2nd edition. So no need to veto individual duplicate cards. It goes beyond duplicate cards anyhow, since if you picked that you had both editions you'd have double the chances of getting base cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Redford

Pico Rivera
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I mix all Dominion cards at all times. I will be purchasing update packs, but not 2nd Editions. I look forward to playing games with both Great Hall and Mill, for instance. Only my wife's loathing for cards like Saboteur and Swindler ever keep them off the table.

I would prefer not to have to un-veto 1st Edition cards in order to include them in the randomization, principally because I use the randomizer on my phone and it would refresh the page every time I tap on a card, meaning that the page would refresh about 12 times before I finally reached my optimal randomization. I voted for option 1 accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
if you picked that you had both editions you'd have double the chances of getting base cards.

Correct: A problem I had for a while (and may still have to a lesser degree) with Alchemy cards with the {0,3–5} suggestion on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.