GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 128.12

7,582 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
Tharsis Republic and Inventrix both let you perform an action as your first action in the game.
Is this considered a full action that takes half of your first turn?
Or do you simply perform it before the starting player takes their first action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Vahlenkamp
Germany
Huerth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are mandatory actions, that have to be your first one during your first turn. The Tharsis first action is even described in the example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
As your first action, as it says. Yes, it takes half your first turn.
If you had done it before starting player it would have said so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically see this as an advantage. I rarely want to play out the first generation quickly, and would prefer to take some time seeing what my opponents are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
IgrajemChef wrote:
These are mandatory actions, that have to be your first one during your first turn. The Tharsis first action is even described in the example.

The action is not described at all, the example only says "As his first action, he will get to place a city tile".
However, it does not say when that happens.
Rather, the example states Robinson will get the bonus for his corporation when placing the tile and only THEN mentions the game will start with Kim taking her first action.
The way it is described it sounds like the game would start after the "first action" by the person playing Tharsis Republic is performed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
IgrajemChef wrote:

The action is not described at all, the example only says "As his first action, he will get to place a city tile".
Rather, the example states Robinson will get the bonus for his corporation when placing the tile and only THEN mentions the game will start with Kim taking her first action.
The way it is described it sounds like the game would start after the "first action" by the person playing Tharsis Republic is performed.

You're right, the action is not described, only alluded to. But actions is what you perform during your turn, not part of setup, so it is indeed done as the first of your possible two actions on your first turn.
In the example, another player was first player, which didn't help in making that clear...
The reason for doing this as your first action was to avoid rules problems as to when you do it. Apparently you can never be clear enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Vahlenkamp
Germany
Huerth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:
IgrajemChef wrote:

You're right, the action is not described, only alluded to. But actions is what you perform during your turn, not part of setup, so it is indeed done as the first of your possible two actions on your first turn.
In the example, another player was first player, which didn't help in making that clear...
The reason for doing this as your first action was to avoid rules problems as to when you do it. Apparently you can never be clear enough

In the description of cards, before setup, it is noted that some enterprises have a fixed first action (bold printing from the rulebook).
And following this in the example in setup, the third player (playing Tharsis Republic) will place a city tile for free as his first action.

I must note, that I own the german version, so maybe from the english rulebook something changed or was improved, but for me, this question never arose.

Anyway, we can compare the rulebooks in Essen, as I will bring it for an autograph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
IgrajemChef wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:
IgrajemChef wrote:

In the description of cards, before setup, it is noted that some enterprises have a fixed first action (bold printing from the rulebook).
And following this in the example in setup, the third player (playing Tharsis Republic) will place a city tile for free as his first action.

I must note, that I own the german version, so maybe from the english rulebook something changed or was improved, but for me, this question never arose.

Anyway, we can compare the rulebooks in Essen, as I will bring it for an autograph

Nope, the English version also talks about a fixed first action. (And can be found here: http://www.fryxgames.se/TerraformingMars/TMRULESFINAL.pdf)
I must have missed/forgotten that.

Thanks for your help everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The Tharsis action of placing a city as their first action is free?

Edit: I found the anwser in another thread. It is free.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22102072#22102072
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.