Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Kalhagen
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

Over the course of the last week I created a new alternate set of rules for 2 or 3 players. I have posted the PDF in the "Files" section for Risk: Europe but I will also provide a link to that page at the bottom here! These take the place of the Mercenary Rules found in the back of the Risk: Europe rule book. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of the Mercenary rules because I thought that the unpredictable element that it added eliminated some of the skill, but thats just me! If you have no problem with the Mercenary Rules than this might not be for you, but I found it to be really fun!

The premises of this variant is that there are already preexisting empires when the game starts. These empires start out stronger/larger than you and you'll have to choose if you want to fight them or peacefully work your way around them as you expand. These empires are not controlled by any player during the game, and they will only defend when attacked, but I'm thinking about working up an aspect where the empires will sometimes randomly attack players touching their borders.

The advantage to attacking an empire is the obvious, clearing up board space and expanding your territory, but you also get to roll the die and loot that number of gold each time you successfully take over an empire's territory.

The other element that this variant adds is barbarian camps. These are significantly smaller than any empire and you don't get gold for killing them, but rather you can take the barbarian troops and have them fight with you. But watch out, if you're not careful you could accidentally make a barbarian camp even larger!

So, feel free to download this new set of rules and give my variant a try! I would still consider it as in the "Development Stage" because other than my family and friends it hasn't been tested. Any feedback and suggestions are welcome. I'll do my best to update the rules if reoccurring issues are found! Enjoy!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137627/empires-altern...

-Kalhagen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Thanks for putting this together and sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TOM, you've found your calling - outstanding job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this! I am on the fence about buying the game, mainly because it will be just 2 players. I have read that the Mercenaries slow down the game a lot and that there is bidding(?) I wish the rules were online because I have no idea what this means. Your variant sounds interesting and it may tip the scale in favor of taking a chance on the game. Seems like the game has been received very well so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kalhagen
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
Thanks for sharing this! I am on the fence about buying the game, mainly because it will be just 2 players. I have read that the Mercenaries slow down the game a lot and that there is bidding(?) I wish the rules were online because I have no idea what this means. Your variant sounds interesting and it may tip the scale in favor of taking a chance on the game. Seems like the game has been received very well so far.

Thanks for your feedback! I was heavily on the fence about purchasing this game as well! For the price and (at the time) there were no videos of reviews or gameplay, but I have absolutely no regrets! It's easily one of my favorite games. If it helps you make your decision, I just played my variant a couple nights ago with 3 people (I know its not quite your case) and the play time was right around 75 minutes. Also, if you want a really fast game you can always play the 4 player rules with just 2 people. (If you haven't already, watch the hasbro video which gives a brief overview of 4 player rules) Only having 2 color armies on the board generally leads to one of two outcomes, a giant war deciding the victor, or two civilizations that never meet each other and race to be the greatest. My friend and I can sweep through a round like this in about 30 minutes.

I hope you seriously consider buying it, I don't think you'll regret it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like there is a variety of ways to play the game, and I like the shorter version options. My playing partner will play a game for an hour, maybe even 1.5 hours on a good day, but anything beyond that he gets fidgety.

I will check out that Hasbro video, thanks for that info as that is more useful information.

I am about 80% sure I will be on my way to Target this weekend to buy this. Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.