Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have around $150-160 to spend on Imperial Assault expansions. I know that there are buying guides, but I still wanted to ask some specific questions regarding my specific desires.

I have only the base set. My friends and I have enjoyed playing our first campaign mightily, but it is about to finish up (I believe I'm about to get slaughtered as the imperial player as I've only won two missions out of 10). I have not played skirmish yet, but I'm intrigued by it and one of my group may start testing Skirmish rules with me. That being said, campaign is pretty much where we will be playing.

Given this, should I just spend the $160 on all four big box/small box expansions (when Jabba's Realm comes out)? Or would there be some advantage with only buying a couple boxes and then a few ally packs?

Any advice is appreciate, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
So I have around $150-160 to spend on Imperial Assault expansions. I know that there are buying guides, but I still wanted to ask some specific questions regarding my specific desires.

I have only the base set. My friends and I have enjoyed playing our first campaign mightily, but it is about to finish up (I believe I'm about to get slaughtered as the imperial player as I've only won two missions out of 10). I have not played skirmish yet, but I'm intrigued by it and one of my group may start testing Skirmish rules with me. That being said, campaign is pretty much where we will be playing.

Given this, should I just spend the $160 on all four big box/small box expansions (when Jabba's Realm comes out)? Or would there be some advantage with only buying a couple boxes and then a few ally packs?

Any advice is appreciate, thanks!

You could do a lot with that. My suggestion would be to use it to but all figure packs from the original campaign, then pick up a small box expansion and as many figure packs as you can get with it (I'd suggest Twin Shadows and getting at least Fett and the droids).

I know you may want to jump straight into a brand new campaign, but figure packs add a ton to the game (including new missions) so the core campaign will likely still feel very different with these additions. Then, after another go around, you'll probably be ready for Hoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like you didn't mind playing with cardboard tokens in your base game campaign, so just go for the big box campaigns first, then Bespin, then Twin Shadows. If you want any figure, move that between 2 boxes if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hired Guns are good, but otherwise the boxed expansions give you plenty of variety and choice.

Jabba's Realm is still on the printer, so it's hard to estimate. Once it's on the boat we have a pretty good idea. I expect it to be available before the end of the year.

If you think the core campaign length was suitable, then Return to Hoth will fit you. If you think it was all too long, the minicampaigns will suit you. If it was just a little long, you can house-rule a minicampaign to contain suitably thematic side missions. (I have tried that in play by forum campaigns for good effect.)

Then sprinkle with figure expansions to taste, prioritizing the reinforcement waves that you are not going to get tokens and deployment cards for in the boxed expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Your greatest content per cost value is large box, then small box, then ally pack.

I would recommend the boxes (large before small) and limited ally pack purchases.

There are web sites that have all of the cards that come with an ally pack available to view. As long as the cardboard tokens don't bother you, I would recommend previewing those cards to make an informed purchase and buy only the allies/villains you will actually use. To help the imperial player I would concur with Pasi's suggestion of Hired Guns and add Infiltrators to the consideration list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.