Subject: Strategy Help - please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I play mostly solo so I'm not sure if that makes a big difference or not but I'm looking for any pointers other players might have.

I've only played the Fixing the Jumpgate scenario so far and I've never won. I'm finding it hard to increase my Combat stats beyond the starting position. Which I assume I'll need to not only defeat two bosses but also to simply install the XPM on the Jumpgate?

I can see how Units and Power Ups are helpful for once a round (occasionally more with some special abilities) benefits. I find the Action Cards whilst useful can't be relied on as you may not see the one that you want/need when you want/need it.

I'm certain all my problems stem from my play style (not the game) but I'm at a loss to see what I could focus on to increase my chances of victories. My poor maths skills suggest to me that maxing out the Research/Starport would surely take too long in the 10 round scenario?

All thoughts gratefully received. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vesuvius Media
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'm finding it hard to increase my Combat stats beyond the starting position.

Hi O'Ibb, when you say hard can you explain us why? Every time you install a power up and/or a unit you increase your attributes by the designated number. Before you roll your fist dice you should have installed 2 of them (of any combination).

Based on the above image (from your review)you should have 5 at Combat and 2 to shields and speed while in the picture you have 2 Combat and shield and 4 at speed.

Quote:
My poor maths skills suggest to me that maxing out the Research/Starport would surely take too long in the 10 round scenario?

Can you be more specific?

Thank you for your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vesuvius Media wrote:
Hi O'Ibb, when you say hard can you explain us why? Every time you install a power up and/or a unit you increase your attributes by the designated number. Before you roll your fist dice you should have installed 2 of them (of any combination).

Based on the above image (from your review)you should have 5 at Combat and 2 to shields and speed while in the picture you have 2 Combat and shield and 4 at speed.

Yes, I'm a dunderhead and a fool. This was my first replay after a long break and on this occasion I forgot to increase my combat! I had the 4 speed as I got +2 from my Commander.

Vesuvius Media wrote:
Quote:
My poor maths skills suggest to me that maxing out the Research/Starport would surely take too long in the 10 round scenario?

Can you be more specific?

Thank you for your comments.

My thinking was completely muddled after my long break from the game (summer issues, no other reason) but I was assuming that a track couldn't be maxed out within 10 rounds as it would cost about 24 Astartium (solo) and I was only averaging about 2 per round but then I wasn't playing to my full strength for most of the game!

I'll play properly and then come back blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixing the Jumpgate is probably the most difficult of the scenarios (in my experience. It does take a few tries to get the hang of things and even then unless every single roll and card draw goes good for you, thee is a good chance it will fail. It is a bit too difficult to really be balanced and fun unfortunately.

Ibbo wrote:

Keep in mind that you can upgrade your Research/Starport more than once per turn as long as you have the Xtartium (whatever its called) to do it. When you start facing off against level 2-3 Raiders and the bosses, you start gaining it faster and can spend multiples per turn for the upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Barnhouse
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I found the Fixing the Jumpgate scenario very swingy (some games I won with ease and others I had no chance).

Trueflight: I'm curious to know which of the other scenarios you prefer to play. I'm keen to give this game another go soon with one of the other scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:

I play mostly solo so I'm not sure if that makes a big difference or not but I'm looking for any pointers other players might have.

I've only played the Fixing the Jumpgate scenario so far and I've never won. I'm finding it hard to increase my Combat stats beyond the starting position. Which I assume I'll need to not only defeat two bosses but also to simply install the XPM on the Jumpgate?

I can see how Units and Power Ups are helpful for once a round (occasionally more with some special abilities) benefits. I find the Action Cards whilst useful can't be relied on as you may not see the one that you want/need when you want/need it.

I'm certain all my problems stem from my play style (not the game) but I'm at a loss to see what I could focus on to increase my chances of victories. My poor maths skills suggest to me that maxing out the Research/Starport would surely take too long in the 10 round scenario?

All thoughts gratefully received. Cheers.

There is a big post from designer. But be sure that you play correctly and you tried everything that you can

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23681051#23681051
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.