21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Hidden-movement games anyone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
Are people still/not interested in this genre anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know exactly what type of game you're describing, but if it's games like Scotland Yard several recent games in that vein I enjoy are Letters from Whitechapel and Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space. In addition, there's been a new edition printing of Fury of Dracula (third edition) - which has some updated and tweaked rules. I haven't tried the updated one yet, but got a lot of play out of the 2nd edition version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Specter Ops from last did seems to have done rather well, as did Fury of Dracula 3E (mentioned by Sean above).

It's not a genre that has new titles come out frequently, but there's an expansion to Letters From Whitechapel titled Letters from Whitechapel: Dear Boss coming in the near future if you want more for that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Last Friday was one of the more talked-about games at some big convention recently (Gencon, I think?). I don't think it's widely available yet, but it looks like a good hidden movement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just an "ok" mechanic to me but not something I'd seek out or would it be a feature that would get me interested in a particular game. Most of the game mentioned are very similar in gameplay so I don't what other uses someone would find for it. Clue: Museum Caper is (believe it or not) a very good hidden-movement game and from what I remember Mr. Jack used it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specter Ops would probably be in my top 20, if I ever made one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still play

Scotland Yeard
Fury of Dracula
Van Helsing
Letters from Whitechaple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Would love to see a U-Boat game that really made it work. Still hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

What about Captain Sonar? Team based, Hidden Movement, Search and Destroy Submarine Action. I just ordered it on CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of hidden movement as a love it or hate it sub-genre similar to traitor games. It would be boring to always play hidden movement games and they can be fragile and group dependent, but when it all comes together it can be an awesome experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Specter Ops and am considering FoD, but what ever you do...DON'T ASK ANYONE'S OPINION OF THE LATTER IN THE RECOMMENDATIONS AREA! They will make comments about how you should have just used the search bar. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On and off for years I have been messing with a dual-sided hidden movement game, solo hidden movement game (the game is moving, you are looking.)

These two are the bane of my existence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often long and with not many interesting decisions for the players who are hunting the other player.

Also, I find the player who suggests a hidden movement game wants to play the more exciting role of the hunted rather than the hunters. So it's "Let's play Letters To Whitechapel, I'll be Jack the Ripper!" or "Let's play Fury Of Dracula, I'll be Dracula!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:

Also, I find the player who suggests a hidden movement game wants to play the more exciting role of the hunted rather than the hunters. So it's "Let's play Letters To Whitechapel, I'll be Jack the Ripper!" or "Let's play Fury Of Dracula, I'll be Dracula!"

I can see that happening! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specter Ops has been a big hit with my gaming group. One of the people in my group just picked up Fury of Dracula and I am excited to finally play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Scott
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Nuns on the Run which flips the roles. Instead of one person hidden and everyone else searching, everyone but one person is hidden trying to accomplish individual goals and avoid getting caught. I thought it was great fun, think of it as board game hide and seek.

I don't normally enjoy being the hidden character in games like Spectre Ops or Letters from Whitechapel, but I really liked being an initiate hiding from the matron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
Whoa never heard of Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space. Gonna give that a try.

Reason for this thread is because I'm currently doing up a hidden-movement concept and it's scarily similar to the EftAiOS(lol). But the difference in mine is that the map will never be the same. 99.9% sure every game will have a different layout. Currently solidifying the concept for future playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got my hands on both Letters from Whitechapel and Fury of Dracula (third edition) so I'm just now starting my hidden movement kick.

Having fun writing up my session reports for these beauties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Not sure if you've played They Come Unseen. A Submarine game with hidden movement from last year that passed a lot of people by. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
Quick update, I've posted a playtest thread for anyone who is interested to playtest the game in TTS:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23889464#23889464

And thank you guys for the game suggestions. Actually am going to get Escape from the Aliens from Outer Space and Fury of Dracula!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bingle
United States
ORLANDO
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zomax

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.