4,533 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.6% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an entry into the 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest.

Game Name: Assembly: Spaceship Builders

Designer: Janice & Stu Turner

Overview: Assembly: Spaceship Builders is a quick, cooperative, puzzle card game. You control a production line for building spaceships. Unfortunately the factory designers have given you a very limited set of commands, the layout requirements keep changing and you have a tough deadline to meet. Can you complete the ship in time?

# of Players: 1-2

Suggested Play Time: 10-15mins

List of Components:
15 Command Cards (mini size)
12 location (card discs)
12 location blueprints cards (mini size)
4 Location Number Cards (mini size)
1 d12

Proof of Concept Picture:

Sample Round of Play: Now Available!

Components: Now Available in Low Ink (updated:11/11/16) and Full Colour (updated: 20/11/16).
(4 double sided pages)

Rules: Currently only available as Low Ink (updated: 20/11/16).
Note: The rules are designed to be printed double sided and form a small booklet. The pages are numbered so hopefully it'll be easy enough to work out how it fits together. You can then secure it with a single staple

Note: Malfunctions activate when a room is locked in place. We suggest only playing with the Malfunction at 12 o'clock if you've mastered the game at easier difficulties!

This is my first contest entry so any feedback/advice greatly appreciated!! Art/Graphic Design isn't my strong point so please bear with me whilst I iterate this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Spaceship Builders - 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - Idea Phase
It sounds interesting. I like that it's co-op.

How does it work? What do you do with the D12?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The objective of the game is to get all the rooms (represented by discs) into their correct location (the Blueprint cards).

The game is setup like a clock face with all components not creating the clock face fitting inside it giving it a small footprint.

By playing cards you can do one of the following each turn:
- Draw: Place a new room into a random location (by rolling d12) OR lock 1 or 2 rooms in place (must match the blueprint).
- Rotate: Move all UNLOCKED rooms clockwise or counter-clockwise (depending on card) 1 or 2 spaces (players choice).
- Swap: Interchange the position of 2 room discs.
- Wild: Discard 3 cards or the Wild card to do any action of the above actions .

Each turn you discard 1 card to perform your desired action.

In normal mode, locking rooms is free and automative. You cycle through the Command deck twice, adding the Wild card during your second cycle.

In advanced mode, locking rooms requires a 'Draw' card but you can cycle through the Command deck 3 times, adding another Draw card during your second cycle and the Wild card during your third cycle..

You win if you get all rooms into the correct location before running out of cards.

You lose when you have cycled through the deck the maximum number of times allowed and you can play no more cards.

Turn order:
1. Discard card(s) for Action.
2. Draw 1 Command Card.

Hand size is 3 cards.

For coop play, do exactly as above but with 2 players each taking turns to perform actions.

Here are what the components look like in their very draft form:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mb
Subscribed! You got me with "SOLO"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have some rules drafted. I'm trying to fit them all on a few European mini cards as I want the game to be easy to learn/remember and intuitive to play.
Update: Rules transferred to a 12 page mini-rule book as the layout is more intuitive

Next job: Get the art on the Command Deck sorted and write a bit of favour text to go with the game. I'm thinking the Starship Polo...
Update: Done!

Here's my first draft rules - do you think you could play the game from these?
Update: Latest Rules added to first post. Removed from here to stop confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mb
dravvin wrote:
Here's my first draft rules - do you think you could play the game from these? ]

I'd have to sit down and test it out to confirm if the rules are clear enough. Looking forward to do so. When will you be able to share the components? No rush, just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Should have them up sometime over the weekend.

I've got them all created just worried it might be a bit easy so trying to increase the difficult a bit more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I had a friend blind playtest the rules yesterday - have a few updates to just make things absolutely clear but he managed to get the hang of it pretty quickly without any interjections.

I think the deck may still need something more added to it to make it more variable but as a base mechanic I'm happy with this. I've added components to the first post so you can give it a try and let me know what you think.

I'm still working on the 2-player variant. You can try using the same rules as solo but instead just taking turns. You MUST NOT show the other player your cards. I'm working on something better than that but not there yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Spaceship Builders - 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - Components Ready
We tried a 2-player variant this evening that seemed to work - it needs some balancing with the deck but the concept seems viable.

Summary

Essentially you can only play cards from your hand if the other player has a matching card. There will be some limits on what can be discussed about hand contents which will be hidden.

This means when the current player decides on their action for that turn they must check withe the other player to see if they also have this card. If they do, the current player proceeds with the action as planned, if they don't then the other player must discard 1 random card from their hand meaning on their next turn they only have a choice of 2 cards (you only draw up at the end of your turn).

Play Example:

Janice has 2 Swap cards, 1 Draw/Lock card. She asks Stu "Can I draw a new room token?"

Stu has 2 Draw/Lock cards and 1 Clockwise Rotate card and responds "Yes" as he has a Draw/Lock card in his hand. Janice proceeds with her plan and draws up at the end of her turn.

If Stu did not have a Draw/Lock card in his hand he would not have been able to authorise the action. In this case Stu would have had to discard a random card to authorise the action if Janice was determined to proceed.

We're currently working with going through the deck 4 times - we lost our first game but it felt close so more testing is required!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mb
dravvin wrote:

I had a friend blind playtest the rules yesterday - have a few updates to just make things absolutely clear but he managed to get the hang of it pretty quickly without any interjections.

I think the deck may still need something more added to it to make it more variable but as a base mechanic I'm happy with this. I've added components to the first post so you can give it a try and let me know what you think.

I'm still working on the 2-player variant. You can try using the same rules as solo but instead just taking turns. You MUST NOT show the other player your cards. I'm working on something better than that but not there yet

Just downloaded the components; I'll have a go at it this weekend. Let you know what I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mb
dravvin wrote:
Should have them up sometime over the weekend.

I've got them all created just worried it might be a bit easy so trying to increase the difficult a bit more!

Might be easy for you (since it's your game), but hard for others - just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just finished my first game (solo). The rules were clear and I enjoyed playing. I won with three cards still to draw or play. I plan to play more and get a better sense of difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Just finished my first game (solo). The rules were clear and I enjoyed playing. I won with three cards still to draw or play. I plan to play more and get a better sense of difficulty.

Thanks CL. Did you feel from the beginning you would win / roughly when did it become apparent that you were likely to win? Did it feel like a close win? Let me know how your other playthroughs going. Thinking might need to stick something 'unexpected' in to make it a bit hard but that can be removed if you want an easier game

Now just to work out what that is (or tighten up the deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played it last night and lost. We had one token unrevealed. I'll send you a mail-message with more thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lynnedesiree wrote:
We played it last night and lost. We had one token unrevealed. I'll send you a mail-message with more thoughts.

Desi - thank-you so much for your detailed message and I'm glad you enjoyed playing it. I'm kinda glad that you lost so we now have 1 win and 1 lose. Makes me feel a little better that the game isn't too easy! I'm responding to you message here as you raised some good points!

lynnedesiree wrote:
I would have liked tokens numbered 1 - 12 to make the clock, because at every deck reset, it was a little hard to be sure I was putting the cards back right, which was only a concern when I needed to be sure the tokens stayed in the right spots.

Good point - this will be particularly true the first time if you haven't managed to lock many in place. I'll get on to make some

lynnedesiree wrote:
We used a lock one time to lock down one room before the scramble. That cost us the game. Is it possible to win if you choose to use a lock to unlock one instead of 2?

After cycling through the deck 3 times you will have encountered 18 draw/lock cards (6 per cycle). You'll need 11 to pull out new rooms giving you 7 to lock rooms. This means that you can lock just the 1 location twice without the need of a wild card/discarding 3 cards.

lynnedesiree wrote:
We never used the "discard 3 to do any action" because it was way too costly.

This is included to ensure you ALWAYS can do something, e.g. if you got 3 swaps in your first hand you couldn't do anything. I perhaps should add somewhere that you are not allowed to "do nothing" and just discard: the action has to be viable. Perhaps more important in a 2-player game.

Other good suggestions were:
- Special room ability once locked - I'm thinking some of these could be negative and others positive to her balance the game and add a bit more variety!
- Points based on completion state so you can work out how well you did each game.

Perhaps for scoring:
+5pts per locked room
+2pts per card left in deck and in hand (win only)
-5pt per undrawn room
-2pt per drawn, unlocked room in incorrect location
-1pt per drawn, unlocked room in correct location
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played another round of this neat little game. For the first round I prioritized drawing keys over locking and I never locked down only one room. I only needed to trade out a three-card hand once. By the end of the second round I was sure I would win the game, so maybe it is too easy. If you can (and I have no ideas here), tweaking cards to add challenge would be more fun than introducing scoring.

With respect to dealing shuffled room cards back into proper berths -- when I removed the unlocked room cards at the end of the round I slipped them out from under the keys, so the keys were perfect placeholders. No need for tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Played another round of this neat little game. For the first round I prioritized drawing keys over locking and I never locked down only one room. I only needed to trade out a three-card hand once. By the end of the second round I was sure I would win the game, so maybe it is too easy. If you can (and I have no ideas here), tweaking cards to add challenge would be more fun than introducing scoring.

With respect to dealing shuffled room cards back into proper berths -- when I removed the unlocked room cards at the end of the round I slipped them out from under the keys, so the keys were perfect placeholders. No need for tokens.

My concern was once you got the knack the game became too easy. I did originally have the wild card as a disruptive card: unlock a room of your choice and move or diametrically opposite. I guess it Cound also initiate an unexpected scramble instead. Could also continue to use it for its ability perhaps. I'll have a think

I think room abilities might help solve this if some are good and some are bad.

Thanks for playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
dravvin wrote:
... unlock a room of your choice and move or diametrically opposite.

How about 'unlock a room subject to a roll of the d12'? And the card added to the second round could be 'discard all cards in your hand'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
dravvin wrote:
... unlock a room of your choice and move or diametrically opposite.

How about 'unlock a room subject to a roll of the d12'? And the card added to the second round could be 'discard all cards in your hand'?

Brutal!

I'm off to essen next week so will draft some ideas up while I'm over there. Thank you. I'll think about using the die to give uncertainty whether an effect occurs or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just was looking over the rules and had a few comments that are hopefully helpful.
-For the most part, the rules seem clear.
-Do be careful where you have illustrations accompanied by words. The words are exceedingly tiny and difficult to read.
-On the turn order card, change it's to its. (It's means it is.)
-The basic information (number of players, time, age) needs to stand out a bit more, especially where it is tan on the light gray.
Other than that, it looks good! Your wording is clear, and you seem to give an appropriate amount of detail. I look forward to watching this as your design progresses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Beaker73 wrote:
I just was looking over the rules and had a few comments that are hopefully helpful.
-For the most part, the rules seem clear.
-Do be careful where you have illustrations accompanied by words. The words are exceedingly tiny and difficult to read.
-On the turn order card, change it's to its. (It's means it is.)
-The basic information (number of players, time, age) needs to stand out a bit more, especially where it is tan on the light gray.
Other than that, it looks good! Your wording is clear, and you seem to give an appropriate amount of detail. I look forward to watching this as your design progresses!

Thank-you Lucas

Edit: damn auto correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
tweaking cards to add challenge would be more fun than introducing scoring.

Could you remove more cards from the deck to add more of a challenge? If you can this might be a nice sliding scale to measure difficulty against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Possibly. I'd suggest the best deal is removing the wild card and then the first card you add into the deck is a draw card.

I'm going to have a better go at finalising the 2 player variant then work backwards from there.

The good news is the basic mechanic is solid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having play tested quite a bit more: For solo games remove 1 draw/lock card from the game when playing (total 5 in the deck).

Keep it for the 2-player variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We tried it with the 2-player variant and lost again. We always discarded randomly to let the other player do what he/she wanted. That was probably a poor strategy. We'll try to get in another play this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.