Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Zombie Shieldmen variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kerry Latham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We recently added Skeletal Shieldmen / Armored Undead to Zombicide: Black Plague. The Actors are at the top of the priority list, have 1 action, 1 damage to destroy, but are able to make a armor check roll of 4+ to negate the damage. These serve as an additional threat primarily to ranged and magic users as they help serve as front line units and defense for other zombies.
Spawn Amounts
Blue: 2
Yellow: 2-3
Orange: 3-4
Red: 5

We tried playing with 2 damage to destroy but it was very difficult to get rid of them early game due to the lack of 2 damage weapons in BP.

So far we are loving their addition. What do you guys think and what criticism can you add to critique this variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oborn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
latham06 wrote:
The Actors are at the top of the priority list, have 1 action, 1 damage to destroy, but are able to make a armor check roll of 4+ to negate the damage.

We tried playing with 2 damage to destroy but it was very difficult to get rid of them early game due to the lack of 2 damage weapons in BP.
t

Basically, they are half walker half fatty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike dalziel
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mb
Nice idea
I am trying out a large spider that moves 3,bites for a wound and webs to reduce 2of the hero actions. It's a 2 wound monster with fatty priority.dont know how it will play. I'm using three extra cards from the deadeye pack to use for spawning purposes.
Loving the theme of bp
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks pretty interesting as a base concept. Clearly you have tested it a bit, and I have not; however, 50% (4+) seems a little high for Mob-level defense. Have you experimented with 5, or even 6+ just to see how it works?

I'd also be inclined to try having the 1st point blocked on a successful armor check, so a 2 point weapon could still kill an armored Skeleton. or possibly even a slightly more complicated 4 blocks 1 damage, 5 blocks 2 damage, and 6 blocks 3 or similar?

Did you try variations just to see how they played?

Regardless, I do like the idea of introducing armored enemy units. So Kudos there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Latham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We actually started with 4+ Armor and it was fairly challenging so we switched to 5+ armor. But after several matches at 5+ we agreed it really removed the fear factor of the unit as 5+ wasn't a common roll and they where easily destroyed. We then switched back to 4+ and they are again something to be nervous about. That and the required 2 damage weapon where the only two variants we have tried. 2 damage weapon to destroy was too difficult early game so we dropped them to 1. It wasn't a huge change as they are still a great challenge, but it made their early drops more manageable.

Rather than make the rules more complex, such as reducing the damage based off the roll, I would rather add in a second "Fatty" version that doesn't spawn until yellow which would bring their health back to 2 and probably their armor up to 3+. This way they arent a major threat early game like before, but become another challenge mid-late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
latham06 wrote:

...Rather than make the rules more complex, such as reducing the damage based off the roll, I would rather add in a second "Fatty" version that doesn't spawn until yellow which would bring their health back to 2 and probably their armor up to 3+. This way they arent a major threat early game like before, but become another challenge mid-late game.

Yeah, it's stupid easy to over complicate house rules.

Adding a "Next Tier" i.e. Fatty version (Or Big Boys as my very young son has been taught to call them), is a nice option. I can even see, should one have sufficiently different models for these things, differentiating them by armor type (as opposed to walkers and Big Boys for example), such as Chain mail vs Plate or Lightly Armored vs Heavily Armored or something. Again if one's model options makes the distinction obvious.

What minis are you using, incidentally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I felt this game needed, I mean why would Necromancers only raise an army of zombies? (Yes I know it's called ZOMBIcide not Necrocide but still)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Latham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools

I use these two for a little variation and realism rather than all the same look.

Purchased from Reapermini's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them. Especially the Spear-bearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.