Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you constantly have to keep a track of who is the leader on each track throughout the course of the game?

And it states that if you're tied, then the previous leader wins a tie, what about on the first turn- does the nation who started off the game in that 1st position win ties?

Why is there a phase where you adjust the leader tracks, when constantly through the build phase, for example, it will be changing and in flux?

Do you only reassess the leader of each track in that last phase? Or does it constantly change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you do have to constantly adjust the tracks as you build units or buildings or caravans, etc. throughout the game. Just assign someone to do that as players take their turns - it's not as tedious as it sounds. The phase at the end is simply to determine who is the leader in each track for the next round...and yes, the previous turn leader breaks ties and determines who gets to be leader (even if they are not one of the tied players...they still decide who gets it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
You can move the markers on the leader tracks during the turn, or wait until the end to do all the accounting, but the leader position doesn't actually change until the "Claim Leadership" phase at the end of the turn.

We usually update the tracks constantly as people build, move, etc., because otherwise someone will forget - "Wait, did I build that marketplace this turn or last?" Plus it allows you to see that someone has just pulled ahead on a track and plan accordingly.

The first-turn leaders are specified on their player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yes, leadership only changes at the end of every round.

You can wait until the very end to update leadership, but the reason you generally want to do it as actions are taking place is just because it's easier.

Otherwise, you spend 3-5 minutes at the end recounting everything on the board. Which you could do (and should occasionally, because there's always going to be an action or two you miss), but it just takes longer overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Whoever the leader is when the round begins wins ties, no matter what (I guess if we read the rules as written, they can decide not to tie break themselves, but I can literally think of no reason why you would). Even if that's just the beginning of the game.

Having played this game a lot now, the design is very good. No matter the number of players and the configuration of the board, there's always a designated leader (or leader by default). I've never come across a question of "who starts the game as what leader?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just do it in phase 5, its not too hard to count up the track totals. The only ones that you have to be 100% sure of are the leaders and maybe 2nd and 3rd place in each track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew DeGoey
msg tools
You can keep track as you go, but there's also no need to keep track of exactly how much of each unit type you built each turn because you can simply count up what's in your territory during the last phase and shout out your number to move your marker accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.