Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Wickline
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After all the talk about how the earlier years of this game are relatively simple/easy, I was surprised to see that the publisher's age recommendation was 11+. My 10 year-old son, an avid Harry Potter fan, pointed out that this might be thematic, as 11 is the age at which one becomes a witch or wizard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If USAopoly picked 11+ for theme, that's actually pretty clever!

That being said, I feel like age recommendations on board games are for kids picking up a game on their own with no adult participation. Dominion is 12+, I believe. My 6-year-old can play it. But if I wasn't there to teach it to him, correct his mistakes, and give him some advice, he wouldn't have been able to figure out the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
Given that it's a cooperative game, that can lower the effective age quite a bit. Older and/or more experienced players can help coach the younger players without having to compromise their own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wickline
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

I love it! I showed this to my son, and it absolutely made his day. Thanks for that!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wickline
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Present situation excluded, I've often wondered about publisher age recommendations. I typically find the BGG community age recommendation to be both lower and more accurate, at least for my family. I wonder if the publisher recommendation means something other than what I am assuming, kind of like temperature ratings on sleeping bags (e.g., although people typically assume they are rated for comfort, they are more often rated for survival). I'm sure there's a BGG thread about this somewhere, but I've never looked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
philwickline wrote:
Present situation excluded, I've often wondered about publisher age recommendations. I typically find the BGG community age recommendation to be both lower and more accurate, at least for my family. I wonder if the publisher recommendation means something other than what I am assuming, kind of like temperature ratings on sleeping bags (e.g., although people typically assume they are rated for comfort, they are more often rated for survival). I'm sure there's a BGG thread about this somewhere, but I've never looked.

I've heard (and I can't remember where but probably on BGG) that it has to do with safety. If you want to advertise your toy/game as being for, say, 6-year-olds, it has to be tested. Those tests cost money, and if you can't afford them, then you just skip the tests and say it's for 10-year-olds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.