Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant says "The first time you play a Silver this turn, +$1."
Let's suppose you first play a Silver, and then play a Merchant. This could happen using Black Market to play a Silver in the Action phase, or by playing a Silver in the Buy phase, and using Villa to re-enter the Action phase and play Merchant.

Do you get the +1 coin for the silver you have already played when you play Merchant? This doesn't seem right, because it's rewriting history. You already played the Silver, and didn't get the +1 coin at that time; if you get the coin at all, it's when you play the Silver.

If not, do you get the +1 coin if you play another Silver later? It isn't the "first time you play a Silver".

So my best guess is that if you've played a Silver already, and future Merchants you play are worthless (except for the +1 Card, +1 Action). Is this right?

A meta-question is "what forum should I post rules questions in when they are questions about interactions between cards in different sets?" Usually I would ask the question in the forum for the more recent expansion. I'd ask a question about an interaction between a base set card and an Empires card in the Empires forum, not the Dominion forum. But in this case the base set card is newer than the Empires forum, so it seems more natural to ask the question here. But in the long run, it seems odd that if I have a question about an interaction between a base set card and a Hinterlands card, say, that where I post it depends on whether the base set card was present in the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
Merchant says "The first time you play a Silver this turn, +$1."
Let's suppose you first play a Silver, and then play a Merchant. This could happen using Black Market to play a Silver in the Action phase, or by playing a Silver in the Buy phase, and using Villa to re-enter the Action phase and play Merchant.

Do you get the +1 coin for the silver you have already played when you play Merchant? This doesn't seem right, because it's rewriting history. You already played the Silver, and didn't get the +1 coin at that time; if you get the coin at all, it's when you play the Silver.

If not, do you get the +1 coin if you play another Silver later? It isn't the "first time you play a Silver".

So my best guess is that if you've played a Silver already, and future Merchants you play are worthless (except for the +1 Card, +1 Action). Is this right?

Correct - if your first play of a Silver is before playing a Merchant then that Merchant does not give the $1 benefit; playing Merchant sets up an effect triggered by something that doesn't then happen (after it is set up). This is the same as Coppersmith which only generated extra money on Coppers played after it.

Quote:
A meta-question is "what forum should I post rules questions in when they are questions about interactions between cards in different sets?" Usually I would ask the question in the forum for the more recent expansion. I'd ask a question about an interaction between a base set card and an Empires card in the Empires forum, not the Dominion forum. But in this case the base set card is newer than the Empires forum, so it seems more natural to ask the question here. But in the long run, it seems odd that if I have a question about an interaction between a base set card and a Hinterlands card, say, that where I post it depends on whether the base set card was present in the first edition.

In general I would say ask in the forum for the card with the actual effect you are questioning - in this case Merchant. Often the interaction is of one card with a group of other cards - in this case the interaction is between Merchant and any cards which can alter the order of playing Actions and Treasures (e.g. Villa, Storyteller or Black Market, which are all different sets).

If the question is genuinely about the interaction of two specific cards then I think either forum will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since no-one knows what the future holds and almost any specific card interactions can be extrapolated to relate to other cards not in question, it makes the most sense to use the most popular, original basic set's forum for all questions, for ease and assurance that it is seen in a timely fashion, and collectively roll our eyes at BGG's silly compartmentalization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.