Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
made it to Game Night while it was still early. I asked Vance what was in his bag of tricks. Palaces of Carrara was my choice as its been on my "to play" list for awhile since I love me some K&K and the German-mess of it had kept it out of my hands.

Vance setup the advanced version and I was digging it right from the get go. Anytime a game gives me limited actions but tough decisions to make, I'm instantly hooked. I was feeling really good about my game as I was building up my blue andGreen cities to score them and eventually score the end game bonus for poor cities. I was also perfectly diversified in my building types which I thought was a good thing! Turns out diversifing my bonds was a bad thing as I saw Vance score his triple stacked Castles on his upgraded Red city twice for 90 points (45 each turn, plus 18 gold if I remember correctly). Thankfully, by that time, the game was nearly over with about 15 minutes left, I maximized what I could and rushed to get my scoring markers out so I could end the game before the gap widened even further. Vance, being start player, wound up ending the game before me, but I still got the scoring areas I wanted. Ending the game with 92 points and second place behind Vance, doubling my score. Darrin had 70~, and Joe had 46~.

Regardless of the beat down, I really liked this game and that's obviously a good sign. I think my next play of it, I will definitely work more at getting some synergy between buildings and also I'd probably play a little looser with my money. As it was, I didn't really ever need to gain more money the entire game as I took cheap stuff most of the time, but having the income to throw around gives you more freedom in the market which means you're not at the mercy of other players actions. Really dug it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dexdouglas wrote:
Regardless of the beat down, I really liked this game and that's obviously a good sign.

This is me too...I love this game but rarely win which is fine because I enjoy the ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love this game too, I like that every game requires different strategies depending on the winning conditions.

One thing I kept forgetting during my first plays is the ability to upgrade a building to a new one. Trust me, that can really help you a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Theiss
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
dexdouglas wrote:
I think my next play of it, I will definitely work more at getting some synergy between buildings and also I'd probably play a little looser with my money.

Loose money management can lose people games more than anything else. It's true that you ultimately don't need too much more money by the end of the game (you will need some), but the person who can buy the most blocks for the least amount of money will usually be the person who wins the game.

If you're spending too much money on blocks, you will need to waste a turn scoring something that provides gold (instead of points), and if this is something you need to do, then you're probably not earning more gold from those blocks than what you originally spent on them.

So guard your money carefully, and focus less on less cities that provide gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
I love this game too, I like that every game requires different strategies depending on the winning conditions.

One thing I kept forgetting during my first plays is the ability to upgrade a building to a new one. Trust me, that can really help you a lot!

Upgrading a building? I don't think we played with that rule. Gotta check with my friend who taught it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aftheiss wrote:
dexdouglas wrote:
I think my next play of it, I will definitely work more at getting some synergy between buildings and also I'd probably play a little looser with my money.

Loose money management can lose people games more than anything else. It's true that you ultimately don't need too much more money by the end of the game (you will need some), but the person who can buy the most blocks for the least amount of money will usually be the person who wins the game.

If you're spending too much money on blocks, you will need to waste a turn scoring something that provides gold (instead of points), and if this is something you need to do, then you're probably not earning more gold from those blocks than what you originally spent on them.

So guard your money carefully, and focus less on less cities that provide gold.

Good points. I was pretty effective with my money management but sometimes I felt like I should have spent the little bit extra on a white or yellow to nab some potential points in the bigger cities. As it was though, I only built on the poorer 3 districts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Theiss
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
You can upgrade a building of any type to a building with a higher cost.

So if you have, say, a 4-cost building, you can remove that building and replace it with a 5-cost building by paying one extra block (of the appropriate color in that city).

Upgrading is the only way to meet the objective that requires placing an 8-cost building in the White City, as there are only 7 blocks of each color. I actually figured out about upgrading when I saw that objective for the first time.

Upgrading buildings can be a great way to score building types to great advantage. Imagine you built a 3-cost and 4-cost building of one type in the White City. Score that building type for 21 points. Then for the total cost of two more blocks, you can upgrade those buildings to a 4-cost and 5-cost building of a different type - then score that type for 27 points.

If you have the time to pull it off, it can be very effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dexdouglas wrote:
I saw Vance score his triple stacked Castles on his upgraded Red city twice for 90 points (45 each turn, plus 18 gold if I remember correctly).

This confused me, you can only score a city once. Unless you're talking about him scoring the city, then the building type. But then the fact he got 45 points per score confuses me again, that's a ton of red bricks to be building up (sounds like he had 15 to 18 on that city).

Y'all should double check you're playing everything correctly, I don't think I've ever seen a score get close to 200 points in this game. But then I am normally the one that goes bare minimum on the requirements for ending the game, and ends it as quickly and efficiently as possible before anyone can get anything built up for big scores. And the fact he threw you into the deep end without playing the basic game and went straight for the advanced, I guess could allow him to build up to this level.. Once you get good at it, it won't happen again

It's a race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Theiss
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
He is misremembering the points, as it would need to be a 3-1 ratio of points to gold, but it's true that the red upgrade allows you to score a ton of points if no one tries to stop you.

I've scored over 300 points a few times. In those cases, I'm usually completely ignoring the "race" objectives, and focusing solely on scoring points. If no one else is rushing to end the game, then you can rack up a ton of points.

Yes, the game is a race in one sense. But it's important to remember that winning the race doesn't necessarily win you the game. So I think your first goal is to score a lot of points, then to look at the objectives. If you can do both at the same time, all the better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
dexdouglas wrote:
I saw Vance score his triple stacked Castles on his upgraded Red city twice for 90 points (45 each turn, plus 18 gold if I remember correctly).

This confused me, you can only score a city once. Unless you're talking about him scoring the city, then the building type. But then the fact he got 45 points per score confuses me again, that's a ton of red bricks to be building up (sounds like he had 15 to 18 on that city).

Y'all should double check you're playing everything correctly, I don't think I've ever seen a score get close to 200 points in this game. But then I am normally the one that goes bare minimum on the requirements for ending the game, and ends it as quickly and efficiently as possible before anyone can get anything built up for big scores. And the fact he threw you into the deep end without playing the basic game and went straight for the advanced, I guess could allow him to build up to this level.. Once you get good at it, it won't happen again

It's a race.

Yeah, the points to gold didn't seem right but he did score the castles on the red city, of which he had 3, then scored the red city itself which had the same things. He had a size 4, size 3, and size 8 castles on the Red city. 15 points x 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.