Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
We helped a friend brew a Mocktoberfest (ale, so it might possibly be done in time) and a Belgian Double a week ago. Was a lot of fun, from going to the grain store and trying to match the recipe with what was in stock to smelling the sugary mash all day long.

I've started researching getting my own equipment, but stuff gets expensive. Fortunately our friend has the equipment to brew five gallon batches, so to start I might just pick up a couple fermentation tanks (any suggestions?) and borrow his kettle and cooling plate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on getting hard cider.

The first step is cider. I refuse to BUY cider and move on from there.

While I have palatable cider, the hard stuff is ... suitable as a floor cleanser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bottled a braggot and a cider this weekend. I have a plum wine and a peach wine in secondary fermenter. I plan to do a hefeweizen in a week or 2 because the kegerator is starting to run light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as equipment keep an eye out on classified ads you can find stuff for a good price. I picked up 3 6-gallon glass carboys a while back for $20. I picked up 7 cornelius kegs for 20 a piece, bought new gaskets and kept 4 and sold 3 for a profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
I've started researching getting my own equipment, but stuff gets expensive. Fortunately our friend has the equipment to brew five gallon batches, so to start I might just pick up a couple fermentation tanks (any suggestions?) and borrow his kettle and cooling plate.

Tell me about it.

I've bought a 10 gallon, 220 volt Blichmann Brew Easy system. A plate chiller is easily worth it when chilling down a 13 gallon batch. Since I have temperature requirements for my yeast and bacteria, I use heat belts for primary fermentation at 84F and large freezers for secondary fermentation at 60F. Also, since my garage can get to be 100+F, I have recently bought a conical fermenter and a glycol chiller.

It currently has 12 gallons of already fermented sour base beer refermenting on 24 pounds of raspberries.

For you, if you have a large refrigerator, you can put a 5 or 6 gallon glass/plastic carboy in it and wrap it with a reptile heating belt and a controller with a temperature probe to set it to a specified value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cider is incredibly easy to make if you go through the effort of buying the juice. I would keep a one gallon jar with an airlock and bottle 2 750ml bottles every so often and refill with 1/2 gallon of juice. But I built up too many bottles of cider so I stopped making it. I still have a 5 gallon corney keg of cider that I need to dry hop with Amarillo hops and bottle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:

If you have a friend to give advice on brewing from grain, then you're further ahead on the brewing curve than most people ever get. Otherwise, if you've never brewed beer on your own before, a kettle and cooling plate is very specialized equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Cider is incredibly easy to make if you go through the effort of buying the juice.

HERESY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
As far as equipment keep an eye out on classified ads you can find stuff for a good price. I picked up 3 6-gallon glass carboys a while back for $20. I picked up 7 cornelius kegs for 20 a piece, bought new gaskets and kept 4 and sold 3 for a profit.

Definitely! Been keeping an eye on Craigslist and a few other sites. The brewing scene around Boston seems pretty healthy, so I'm hoping for a couple good deals. Saw a nice 10 gallon stainless steel kettle with a valve for $90, just didn't snag it in time.

hamzy wrote:
I've bought a 10 gallon, 220 volt Blichmann Brew Easy system. A plate chiller is easily worth it when chilling down a 13 gallon batch. Since I have temperature requirements for my yeast and bacteria, I use heat belts for primary fermentation at 84F and large freezers for secondary fermentation at 60F. Also, since my garage can get to be 100+F, I have recently bought a conical fermenter and a glycol chiller.

It currently has 12 gallons of already fermented sour base beer refermenting on 24 pounds of raspberries.

For you, if you have a large refrigerator, you can put a 5 or 6 gallon glass/plastic carboy in it and wrap it with a reptile heating belt and a controller with a temperature probe to set it to a specified value.

That Breweasy System looks really shiny and awesome - I'm not ready to sell off my board game collection to buy it! We have fridge space, but not enough for five gallons. Luckly our basement stays cool up here in Boston, and if we really get into this we'll buy a chest fridge.

MABBY wrote:
If you have a friend to give advice on brewing from grain, then you're further ahead on the brewing curve than most people ever get. Otherwise, if you've never brewed beer on your own before, a kettle and cooling plate is very specialized equipment.

The benefit (and curse) of having a knowledgable friend is that I want to dive right into the deep end. I've brewed a little from easy kits before, but until he walked us through the whole process I didn't know how much control and customization you could work into a homebrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.