$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 133.04

7,787 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

mike sam
msg tools
My wife and I will most likely be breaking this game in before we get a group of players to play with us. To get the full experience does anyone recommend playing 2 characters each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
I would recommend playing 2 each. You get to see all the synergies with their abilities, and it makes the "everybody do X" abilities more powerful. Note, that helps the villains as well as the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
Conversely, I’ve played through several of the games with only two characters total, and it works out just fine. Your strategies will shift a little, but it’s totally built to handle it.

You also get a little more variance in the two-player game when each player only has one character from game to game, since you can run a Ron/Neville pair one game and a Harry/Hermione pairing in another. The characters play differently from one another (especially in later games), so there’s space to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We opened our copy last night and played through 2 years with just one character each.

Seems fine (so far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McKenney
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd prefer to pick whichever (1 char each or 2 chars each) is more difficult. Any thoughts from those who have played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished Year 6 with two characters. There's a lot of effects and abilities to keep track of, especially beginning Year 6. I'd stick with one character per player.

However, the game does seem easy with only two characters. Year 1-4 were a walk in the park. We took at beating in Year 5 but still won with one location lost. Year 6 was even easier than Year 2-4. (It just took a long time.) Can't wait to try Year 7; I heard it's nearly impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
4ntonio wrote:
However, the game does seem easy with only two characters.

I'm still very early in the game - but I'm wondering about this. I played Game 2 with 4 people yesterday and we came close, but lost. Today played it two people and smoked it. Like crushed it completely; at no point were we even in danger of losing. The last few rounds had us dropping 5-6 damage each turn, easily.

Now, obviously the cards change, so maybe we just got better draws and what not, but it felt like with 2 people, your decks get going a lot faster. After a few turns, both of our decks were fairly good and we could get some nice combos in. I'm feeling that with 4 players, it slows down the progress of the decks so that more turns are passing by with weaker decks, and it's making the game harder. Perhaps a design flaw, or perhaps just dumb luck at this point. I don't really know.

I'm curious to see how it will go as we continue on with various amounts of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.