Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
We are excited to announce that BGG.CON will be moving to a larger venue beginning in 2019. We have just signed contracts with the Hyatt Regency Dallas for November 20-24, 2019 and November 18-22, 2020.

The new venue will allow us to increase our attendance and exhibitor areas by around 75%.

Some nice features of this new location:
Walking distance to historic West End Entertainment District
A block away from Dealy Plaza, 6th Floor Museum, JFK Memorial Plaza
Underground walkway to Reunion Tower, Union Station
6 onsite restaurant options including Parrino's Oven, Centennial Cafe, Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck, Cloud Nine Cafe

We are very excited to work with this new partner in creating the best gaming experience available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I never liked any of the pre-con ideas, so this is fantastic news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brzuziwski
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
More Monskers
badge
I am blue
mbmbmbmbmb
When can I buy tickets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PHX Gamer
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, cool! I'm excited to attend this year and am hopeful to be able to make it to the new expanded BGG Con in 2019!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Looks like we better enjoy 2016-2018, as increasing the size that much is going to kill BGG.con as we know it dead. Unfortunate, but perhaps inevitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Looks like we better enjoy 2016-2018, as increasing the size that much is going to kill BGG.con as we know it dead.

That seems way too optimistic. Surely, the foreknowledge of BGG.CON being dead in 2019 means that it's already impossible to enjoy it this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
So what are we looking at for badges and rooms?

Obviously those things will shift somewhat over the next several years, but you should have a ballpark idea now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
badge
DaviddesJ wrote:
That seems way too optimistic. Surely, the foreknowledge of BGG.CON being dead in 2019 means that it's already impossible to enjoy it this year.

Don't ever change, David. ;)

Almost all of the stuff that makes BGG.con special (for me, and the people I hang with) is already on the ragged edge of scalability; adding another 2,000+ people will change things drastically.

I'm curious as to the plans to handle that change...but even if handled well, BGG.con as it stands is not going to continue. (It's changed before, and will change again, but this is not the direction I'd hoped to see.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news! More people being able to participate is great.

And not being trapped in the airport all week will be amazing. You mean we can walk places????? WHAAAA?????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought alternative BGG.CON locations were ruled out because they either were not open 24 hours or way too expensive (and that was the whole reason of having a second con beforehand)

Am curious hat the ballpark costs for:
rooms
the con itself
transportation between the airport and the new location

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! I especially like the idea of more dining options without having to deal with the hassle of driving somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really believe this is better than the back to back con idea.

Thank you for a great convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow! After doing some initial youtube searches for videos of the hotel.. The place looks awesome!

And we drivers don't have to deal with the airport parking validation! woo!

I know last year, we took a wrong turn in the airport and almost drove onto a runway. Don't want to do that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
I thought alternative BGG.CON locations were ruled out because they either were not open 24 hours or way too expensive (and that was the whole reason of having a second con beforehand)

Am curious hat the ballpark costs for:
rooms
the con itself
transportation between the airport and the new location

Brian

A quick Google Map has the avg NON-CON/everyday room rate of around 169 for rooms there. This doesn't take into account future-proofing/inflationary costs from now to then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Looks like we better enjoy 2016-2018, as increasing the size that much is going to kill BGG.con as we know it dead. Unfortunate, but perhaps inevitable.

The BGG.con that sells out in two hours with 1,000 ticket demand unsatisfied?

Yeah I can let that go.

The BGG.con that's not split over 10 days to fill demand and pressure vendors to juggle their attendence?

Bon voyage.

A bigger venue downtown? Bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

Almost all of the stuff that makes BGG.con special (for me, and the people I hang with) is already on the ragged edge of scalability; adding another 2,000+ people will change things drastically.

I understand your concern, but I'm not sure we're anywhere near that tipping point. The feel of a convention starts at the top. Participants interact with the event and with each other while they're there in accordance to how the staff puts the event together, and how they conduct themselves. This top-down 'leadership', when applied correctly, can accommodate a lot of people.

I'm not being 100% clear, but let me give an example -

PAX Prime started off small and is now the juggernaut we know of today. It's changed immensely and it has lost most (all?) of it's clubby feel that it once had (that I know you're trying to preserve in BGGCon). But during those early to middle years, that feeling persisted. Even when there were 10s of thousands of attendees. The feel of the show remained because the organizers kept their thumbs on all aspects of the show and everyone felt it. Now of course this becomes untenable at a certain point, but adding 75% to BGG, or doubling, isn't even coming close.

There's room for BGG to grow and not abandon that feel. It's the best convention of the year by far, and that comes from the WAY it's handled not the size of it. If the BGG staff can manage to run the event similarly, keep that laid back flow, and continue to inform attendees 'how things are around here,' I think we have a lot of room to grow.

We love this event, why not invite a bunch more of our friends?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

Doom and gloom! The sky is falling!

Didn't you say the same stuff a few years ago, the last time they moved to a bigger venue?

BGG.con is never going to be the quaint, quiet sub-500 person convention it once was, but it hasn't been that in many years anyway. As it stands at the current hotel it's fairly easy to spend the entire convention in a small subsection of the hotel, effectively blocking out the majority of the growth.

The BGG.con that you knew and loved died a log time ago, you can stop kicking that dead horse now. We don't need to hear how every decision the BGG.con staff makes is wrong - they do a lot of work to make this convention happen. Either find a way to enjoy it, or simply don't go.

Edit: Wait a second, aren't you always complaining that there aren't enough food options around, that the space is too crowded, and that the hotel sucks because it's basically inside the airport? Did they just address literally every one of your concerns in one fell swoop, and you're still complaining?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the upcoming spring con is still at the airport, but will future spring cons also be at this new location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it. It may be different as it grows, but I would rather lose some intimacy than be unable to attend at all due to the quick sell outs.

Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

Why are you always such a negative Nelly?

(no offense intended or implied to persons named Nelly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sigh.

sedjtroll wrote:

Didn't you say the same stuff a few years ago, the last time they moved to a bigger venue?

Nope. I said the same thing when they were talking about ways to grow the con past where it is now.

Quote:
As it stands at the current hotel it's fairly easy to spend the entire convention in a small subsection of the hotel, effectively blocking out the majority of the growth.

Nope. Events, the library, and the hot games all suffer due to growth.

Quote:
The BGG.con that you knew and loved died a log time ago, you can stop kicking that dead horse now. We don't need to hear how every decision the BGG.con staff makes is wrong - they do a lot of work to make this convention happen. Either find a way to enjoy it, or simply don't go.

Heh. I've never said anything like that. But nice of you to project like that.

I *am* trying to find a way to enjoy it. That includes appropriate feedback, and participating in the community.

Quote:
Edit: Wait a second, aren't you always complaining that there aren't enough food options around, that the space is too crowded, and that the hotel sucks because it's basically inside the airport? Did they just address literally every one of your concerns in one fell swoop, and you're still complaining?

Nope.

Seth, for someone that knows me, you sure do seem to have some screwed up ideas about what I think and say. Perhaps you might want to figure that out before you go too much further?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
badge
leroy43 wrote:
fnord23 wrote:

Why are you always such a negative Nelly?

(no offense intended or implied to persons named Nelly)

Ah yes, the inevitable, "positivity only" brigade.

I'm a realist, and I've been right about stuff like this far more often than I've been wrong, over the years. (Especially when it comes to BGG-related stuff.)

I'm done for now - feel free to pile on. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will BGG Spring continue at the current location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Ah yes, the inevitable, "positivity only" brigade.

False.

Quote:
I'm a realist, and I've been right about stuff like this far more often than I've been wrong, over the years. (Especially when it comes to BGG-related stuff.)

I'm done for now - feel free to pile on.

Not interested in piling on. Doesn't alter that the posts I've noticed from you, not that I read everything you post, have been negative in nature. A chacun son gout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otscotty wrote:
Will BGG Spring continue at the current location?

I asked that 19 minutes ago. We're never going to get an answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.