Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running off the KSer PDF (didn't get my rule book). The PDF has some older rules.

I've no clue how to figure out the Strength of the warband when dealing with war external threats.

The PDF shows a picture of two shields next to the 30 Varl's tent, but on the actual Keeper of the Names board, there are no such shields.

There are two open spots with what appears to be shield tokens on the 300 clansmen and the 10 Varl's tents.

There is a section for warband promotions that allows you to buy shield tokens, but are those added to the strength?

In short: Very lost here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
In the printed rule book, on page 8, the example in the bottom right shows the Keeper of Names board with 2 shield tokens on the 300 clansmen tent and the 10 varl tent. The caption reads the same as the online book: "The warband has 2 strength currently, since the Keeper of Names has not used his Warband Promotions ability."

I interpret that to mean that when you earn a tent with an open shield spot, you put a shield token on it. However, I remove the shield if I lose the tent. I haven't seen an official ruling, but that makes the most sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're getting the final book pdf'd. It should be up tomorrow. I'll have a link in the update. I'll post it here too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Fennell
msg tools
If a war event shows you up against 3 shields, you need 3 shields total on your KoN's board. The shields come from 2 areas; 1. You get them from tents on either clansmen or varl (don't have my board in front of me but I believe you can only get one from the clansmen and one from varl), 2. you can use your ability which adds shield tokens from defeating enemies in skirmishes. That is what is meant by "using your ability". So regardless of how many guys you have, if you haven't spent something on upgrading youre going to be hurting when a war card comes up.

Does that clear it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this part has been clarified. Thank you all.

Now to consider the following:
In the spring external events you have almost a 29% chance of pulling a 2 Strength War card.

So, as Keeper of Names, you pretty much have to buy two tents of clansman or you risk auto losing on your first external event pull. Since you would only have 1 shield from the 1 tent of Varl and (on your first draw) you wouldn't have had any fights to buy up additional 'training' shields.

Overall...I don't really like how this works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I imagine the Thane would be happy with that decision Alternatively, you could try to invest in enough tents (ie- 1 clansmen + 1 varl instead of 2 clansmen), training and/or warleader followers to raise the warband Banner Rank to Silver.

According to page 9, you do not resolve the battle plan on a war card, if the warband shields do not meet or exceed the war card strength. Also, the defeated camp card is not added to the camp deck, if the warband banner rank is high enough. Therefore, a silver warband with 1 shield can skip a 2 strength war card completely. You don't earn renown, but you also don't take any losses, so I'm not sure how strong of a strategy that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.