Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: shouldbeaGeeklist [+] [View All]
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...but aren't necessarily my favorite games.

My wife recently asked me this question, which I thought was interesting. I have my personal top 10 favorite games for sure, but if I had to narrow my collection down to just 10 games and consider not only what I like, but also think about who I play games with and base my selections on the overall enjoyment I have when gaming with my wife, family and/or friends, the list changes considerably.

So here goes... In no particular order:

Dominion - This is the game that got my wife hooked on gaming. It is still our go-to game.

Fortress America - One of the games that got me into the hobby. My friends and I wasted countless weekends back in the 80’s and 90's playing this, and still get it to the table a few times a year. It remains one of my favorites.

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery - I have owned this game for a while now, and only recently had my first play. I know it sounds silly, but with just that one play I can tell this one will get many more plays with my friends and I in the coming years.

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit - I was able to pull off a trade to get this, giving up a few games that I wasn't keen on anyway, and I am so glad I did. What a great game!

Diplomacy - Full disclosure... I have never played this. Why did it make the list? Because this is the first game my wife bought for me. She came across an old copy at an antique store, and it piqued her interest. So why haven't we played it yet? Because I love my wife and I want to stay married to her.

Catan - Yup. Catan. My wife and kids love it, and I don't hate it. It gets a lot of play at home and I suspect it always will.

Ticket to Ride - Other than Catan, this is the only game I can get my daughter to play. It is her favorite, but I suspect that it because she crushes us every time we play.

War of the Ring (second edition) - Another game that I have only played once, and lost miserably. That doesn't deter me from pining to play it again. Since it is a 2* player game it is tough to get it out since my wife and kids have no interest and I usually have more than 2 players when I get together with my fiends.

Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack - I was introduced to this at a con a few years ago and just loved it. I made the investment in it knowing my friends would also love it, and I was correct. When we get together it is usually this and the aforementioned Fortress America that fills up our day.

DungeonQuest - Another game that got me into the hobby, and almost as many weekends were wasted in the 80s/90s playing this as we did FA. I would say I included this purely for nostalgic reasons, But my family also likes this one and still requests it on occasion.

So there you go. Likely more than you wanted to know, but I enjoyed putting this list together. I love playing certain games because I think they are great games, but it is more important for me to play games with the people I love. For that reason, these are my "keepers".

What are some of the games you can't live without, but aren't necessarily your favorites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sb so
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting, something similar came to my mind, when I had to bring games to a group of mixed very new/new gamers to pick from. What would I bring that I do not only like for personal reasons (interest, nostalgia, any other collector's must-have reasons), but to cover most interesting mechanics, play styles, player counts, play times, etc.

For that purpose I created BoGG (the Box of Great Games), trying to find a mix of easy-to-teach gateways (1), short games (2), odd games (3), some heavier stuff I feel comfortable teaching with (4), and maybe something untested (4) from my collection*, that fits in a box I can carry around. It is not a Top 10, though.

September-BoGG has in it: Ticket to Ride Europe (1), Quarto (2), Nyet! (1,3), Machi Koro (1,2), Biblios (4), Star Realms (1,2), Isle of Skye (?,4), McMulti/Crude Oil (3), Tesla vs Edison (3), The Game (1,2,3), Pandemic (1), 7 prepared Dice Masters Teams, ...

(* "collection" always sounds huge, it is some games...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Patchwork

2 - Flashpoint

3 - Ra

4 - Isle of Skye

5 - 7 Wonders

6 - Concordia

7 - Animal Upon Animal

8 - Dixit

9 - Glen More

10 - Thurn and Taxis

Edit: I'm happy with this list and feel it covers a lot of ground, but I feel like I've BETRAYED some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also in no order:

Catan
Ticket to Ride + expansions
Machi Koro
Codenames
Ice Cool
Ninjato (first game my girlfriend ever purchased)
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival (relationship related significance)
Tokaido (same as above)
Sushi Go! (even though I have Party)
The Game of Life: Spongebob Squarepants Edition (because my family has a strange obsession with Patrick, and anything that combines him and games must be kept)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like this notion. Can't believe I haven't thought of it before. I'm game. Here's my top ten games I couldn't part with (for now).

1. Catan: This was my wife's game before it was "ours" and was my gateway game into the hobby. It doesn't get played often these days, but there is no way I could ever take it out of our collection.

2. Dominion: Much like the OP, this is my wife's favorite game to play. We get this to the table 2-3 times a week and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

3. Lost Cities: If there is any game we have played more than Dominion, it's this. Quick to teach, quick to play, and portable. Win.

4. The Resistance: Few games go over better with large groups for me, and the memories from get-togethers and family vacations firmly entrench this game as a keeper.

5. Ticket to Ride: Europe: Two reasons- This is the first game I ever bought for my wife (Valentine's Day) and it is one of the only games we consistently play with family.

6. Shadows over Camelot:
Not only is this my number 1 game of all time, but it's also the first game that my wife bought for me (again, Valentine's Day).

7. Camel Up:
It's easily the most accessible game I own. I've never had it go over poorly, and it plays up to 8!

8. Machi Koro: Great gateway game for people who like Monopoly. I don't play it much anymore, but I would definitely pull it out for people new to the hobby.

9. Coup: Similar to Lost Cities, this game has portability. It also carries the same feel as The Resistance without its length.

10. Codenames: I'm sensing a theme in what I consider most important. Games that are portable and accessible to everyone. Codenames hits this sweet spot on the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Firefly: The Game - It's the one that got us into gaming and we played it so often for so long that I would never want to give it up, even if it only gets played occasionally now.

2. Splendor - One of my husband's favorites and easy to teach and play with others. Usually a good go-to when I don't know what else to play and don't have a ton of time.

3. Merchants & Marauders - Pirates!

4. Kings of Israel - A fun but challenging co-op. I find I never really get tired of it. Also, it was one of our earlier acquisitions.

5. Roll for the Galaxy - Every collection needs a good dice game, and I don't think it gets much better than this!

6. San Juan - One my husband and I both enjoy.

7. Love Letter - Such a fantastically simple game. Easy to teach and portable.

8, 9, 10 are yet to be determined...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KristopherHickman wrote:
3. Lost Cities: If there is any game we have played more than Dominion, it's this. Quick to teach, quick to play, and portable. Win.

This one almost made my list too. We've brought this on vacation with us in the past. It doesn't get played much these days though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This list seems like it needs a 'geeklist' rather than a forum post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm selfish but I would never sacrifice my favorite games in my collection just for the sake of who I mostly game with and what they like. If I was only able to keep 10 games I'd keep my top 10 favorite games. You can always find at least one person willing to play one of those games with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Owens
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hello community,

While I generally am not one to post, I found this topic to be quite thought provoking and felt I would share.

1. Twilight Imperium: Third Edition w/ Expansions - Though it rarely hits the table due to needing to block off an entire day, when it does, it's always such a good time for our group. More like a ceremony/celebration than a typical game.

2. Codenames - Extremely easy and accessible. I've never seen another game draw in non-gamers like Codenames has. It's also easy to pack for weekend road trips.

3. Sheriff of Nottingham - Like Codenames, it's just been easy to get people interested in this, and has always resulted in a good time.

4. Xia: Legends of a Drift System - Our group fell in love with this game. The constant dice rolling, while understandably not everybody's preference, has made for some humorous moments. Incredibly interested in trying Merchants and Marauders now.

5. Sushi Go! - This was my first game that was purchased to play with my children. Though not a personal favorite, it's a historical marker for when I introduced my children to the hobby.

6. Ticket To Ride - One of the wife's favorites. We've played it to the point where the sight of real life trains now induces nausea. Failure to include this would result in me sleeping in the same tiny closet that houses my game collection.

7. Catan - Though my copy has sat in my collection, unplayed, for over 10 years, it (along with Warhammer Quest) was a one of the games that got me interested in board games. I never want to play it, but I never want to not have it in the collection.

8. Jamaica - A lightweight race that's been a hit with the family and our young children. Nothing beats the look of excitement on my son's face when he pulls his pirate ship up alongside mine, rolls that attack dice, and steals all my gold. Plus, in my opinion, the game is gorgeous.

9. Mage Knight - Reading the manual(s) took me almost a week, as I couldn't retain all the info. Once the rules finally embedded themselves in my brain and I had the opportunity to get in a solo play, I was hooked. Whenever the stars align and I get a day to myself, this thing often comes off the shelf to consume my dining room table. Though I do dislike multiplayer.

10. Pandemic Legacy - What a questionable choice, right? My copy has been played, therefore consumed, but there are so many excellent memories associated with that campaign that I cannot even bring myself to use it for "parts", much less get rid of it. Much like a cherished family photo or heirloom, that box will forever reside in my collection, if for no other reason than to look back at the board and remember all of the alcohol-affected decisions that had us do "X" on "Y" location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't live without? I like my games but I don't think there are any that I couldn't part with...

Pete (could...but rarely does)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Can't live without? I like my games but I don't think there are any that I couldn't part with...

Forgive the Hyperbole. Of course I can live without any games. It was just intended as a conversation starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doverboy wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Forgive the Hyperbole. Of course I can live without any games. It was just intended as a conversation starter.
Hmm...no, you're good. I'm the one in error!

Pete (apologizes for misreading the hyperbole)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're just listing our favorite 10 games then uhh,

1) Mage Knight
2) Kingdom Death Monster
3) Cave Evil
4) Lord of the Rings Confrontation

Guess I only have 4 I wouldn't want to part with under any circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Edit: I'm happy with this list and feel it covers a lot of ground, but I feel like I've BETRAYED some games.

I'm with you. It's not fair we were put in this position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.