$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.92

7,782 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49% of Goal | left

Support:

Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1861466/dating-website-beautif...

A DATING website is opening an exclusive new club where every guest is vetted to ensure they are attractive enough to enter.

Managing director of BeautifulPeople.com Greg Hodge says that they are just following the site’s users’ wishes, as they are apparently tired of going on nights out surrounded by people they don’t consider pretty enough.

He said: “We listen to our members and they are fed up of going out to expensive bars, hoping to meet similarly beautiful people, only to spend the night wishing that the lighting was lower.

“We are very excited about the opening of our flagship bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
A DATING website is opening an exclusive new club where every guest is vetted to ensure they are attractive enough to enter.

This is what happens when vanity is encouraged in children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
as they are apparently tired of going on nights out surrounded by people they don’t consider pretty enough.

After I make my next million, I'm going to spend a good chunk of it on a similarly high-end nightclub + a barrage of advertising saying it's exclusively for people who are tired of dealing with people who aren't pretty enough, and I personally am going to man the door, all night, every night, telling each person they aren't pretty enough to get in.*

For investors in the club, there will be a special entrance on the back side of the building, and you can hang out at the bar, watching through the one-way mirrored glass, laughing your ass off as I find diplomatic ways to tell these people they don't make the cut. (Actually, Platinum members get to work the door with me.)

* In that respect, it will be similar to Peoplesa, my club for smart people, only with more stringent standards than Mensa's; send me your money, and I'll tell you whether you're smart enough to join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Verdigris97 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

True dat.

I am soooo much better than those vain people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
1 in every 3 people is ugly. Next time you go to the movies look at the people on your left and right. If they look ok...guess what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought: "Well there's one dating website that doesn't want my business."

Edit: Oh, it's an actual bar. Well again, I won't be getting in, so I'll see you all at the dive next door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so is the place going to be called "ugly on the inside"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
as they are apparently tired of going on nights out surrounded by people they don’t consider pretty enough.

After I make my next million, I'm going to spend a good chunk of it on a similarly high-end nightclub + a barrage of advertising saying it's exclusively for people who are tired of dealing with people who aren't pretty enough, and I personally am going to man the door, all night, every night, telling each person they aren't pretty enough to get in.*

For investors in the club, there will be a special entrance on the back side of the building, and you can hang out at the bar, watching through the one-way mirrored glass, laughing your ass off as I find diplomatic ways to tell these people they don't make the cut. (Actually, Platinum members get to work the door with me.)

* In that respect, it will be similar to Peoplesa, my club for smart people, only with more stringent standards than Mensa's; send me your money, and I'll tell you whether you're smart enough to join.

I don't think "investing" means what you think it means.

But, I'm right there with you. I'm really fat, balding and I like to use the wheelchair ramp at McDonald's, and I'm fed up how babes, my preferred demographic, don't see my inner-beauty and appreciate my smarts. And, since we're on the topic, what the hell is wrong with going dutch?! Movies and burgers are pretty expensive nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get in. Someone has to clean those toilets and replace the fancy towels.

Of course the joint will be closed when I'm there......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
No way I could choose between the Wargame room and the 18XX room, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Bearcat89 wrote:

Yeah. Depends entirely upon how good looking the people in the room are at that moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:
They also tend too LEARN that being amongst 'uglier-sort' shall LEND the 'appearance' of THEM being seen as 'prettier'/NOT so-'heinous' then! /kiss\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious question for me is "Who's adversely affected by this?" It's doubtful that unattractive people are going to be worse off. They weren't likely to make any headway with the beautiful people... especially the ones who would go to this type of place. If anything, the unattractive people will benefit, as their more attractive competitors will be out of the picture.

The most beautiful people will be slightly better off... as they can more easily screen out everyone they wouldn't have considered anyway. But it does make it more difficult for the "trade looks for rich husband" crowd.

I suspect that the lower tier of beautiful people may be the worst hurt. They'll be jumping from being one of the few beautiful people in a large crowd of less beautiful people to now barely beating the "beauty threshold" to even get in. In effect they're the ugliest people in the room. There's definitely a psychological "comparing yourself to others" factor that could come into play here.

Of course, they can always go back to a regular nightclub and bask in the fact that everyone more beautiful than them is probably in the "beautiful people club" and that they're the cock of the walk.

I really want to model this with game theory now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The obvious question for me is "Who's adversely affected by this?"

Reinforcing this sort of vanity reinforces narcissism, which has been linked to sociopathy and psychopathy, and in general reinforces the idea that material things (including your appearance) are the only valid measure of human worth.

This sort of thing (and its publicization) normalizes this behavior in the public eye ("oh, somebody did a thing? oh, there was no large outcry?" "huh, maybe it's okay."), and in a certain sense validates these extremely detrimental qualities in people.

When people are validated in their narcissistic (and sociopathic) beliefs then they are more comfortable raising their children as narcissistic sociopaths, and the cycle continues, and the world gets worse.

For example: Beauty pageants trickly down to child beauty pageants, and if you watch one of those "reality" shows for five minutes you will see some of the worst people that humanity has to offer.

Seriously.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Fuck overly vain people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Club for blandly homogenised beauty gets free advertising by making mildly controversial statement. News at 11."

I doubt any of the people there will match what I find attractive, so I don't feel left out of their exclusive little club. I suspect it will be a bit of a sausage fest anyway. What's the chance they pay a few models to pretend to be interested in the guys so they keep coming back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
PandoraCaitiff wrote:
"Club for blandly homogenised beauty gets free advertising by making mildly controversial statement. News at 11."

I doubt any of the people there will match what I find attractive, so I don't feel left out of their exclusive little club. I suspect it will be a bit of a sausage fest anyway. What's the chance they pay a few models to pretend to be interested in the guys so they keep coming back?

Oooooo. Hadn't thought about that angle.

Boycott's canceled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Yeah. Depends entirely upon how good looking the people in the room are at that moment.

You probably want a third room. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yall remember the scene in Constantine where Chas puts the cross into the fire suppression water tank and the holy water rains down on all the vampires.

I think we could apply that solution to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
The idea of the club is fine by me. I ain't landing no hottie with or without its existence...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The vain and those obsessed with physical appearances are among the ugliest people I tend to encounter. If they're going to self-segregate themselves, so much the better for the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
1 in every 3 people is ugly. Next time you go to the movies look at the people on your left and right. If they look ok...guess what.

I finally got to go on a double date with Italian rock chick twins?

Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
The obvious question for me is "Who's adversely affected by this?"

Reinforcing this sort of vanity reinforces narcissism, which has been linked to sociopathy and psychopathy, and in general reinforces the idea that material things (including your appearance) are the only valid measure of human worth.

This sort of thing (and its publicization) normalizes this behavior in the public eye ("oh, somebody did a thing? oh, there was no large outcry?" "huh, maybe it's okay."), and in a certain sense validates these extremely detrimental qualities in people.

When people are validated in their narcissistic (and sociopathic) beliefs then they are more comfortable raising their children as narcissistic sociopaths, and the cycle continues, and the world gets worse.

For example: Beauty pageants trickly down to child beauty pageants, and if you watch one of those "reality" shows for five minutes you will see some of the worst people that humanity has to offer.

Seriously.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Fuck overly vain people.

So it's wrong for me to want to date attractive women?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

No, that's natural. Being obsessed with your own looks and having most of your self-worth wrapped up in your own appearance is not healthy, man or woman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

No, that's natural. Being obsessed with your own looks and having most of your self-worth wrapped up in your own appearance is not healthy, man or woman.

Tell that to the ravenous-attention-whore horde of vacuous, solipsistic millennials that are too worried about getting just the right selfie and living life through their phone. Then they waste our time while crying out, looking for a safe space when somebody points out their shortcomings or blows logical holes in their SJW lunacy. I fear for the future of this planet and our collective intelligence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Tell that to the ravenous-attention-whore horde of vacuous, solipsistic millennials that are too worried about getting just the right selfie and living life through their phone. Then they waste our time while crying out, looking for a safe space when somebody points out their shortcomings or blows logical holes in their SJW lunacy. I fear for the future of this planet and our collective intelligence.
I'm more worried about the people who construct a concept of the world such that they can view themselves as better than everyone else.

The next generation isn't particularly worse than any previous generation. Your parent's generation looked down on yours in the same way you look down on the next. And while I'm sure that there are some bad people, lumping all the millenials together as a group defined only by a few bad qualities, and failing to see any of their good qualities, is simply another form of prejudice. Prejudice is the last resort of those who need to feel better about themselves. When they can't find anything good to celebrate about themselves they put down others to maintain their sense of superiority. Don't be that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.