9 Posts

The Manhattan Project» Forums » General

Subject: Disappointing customer service from Minion games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
I bought a copy of Manhattan Project and due to a manufacturing error I got wrongly colored starting cards. yuk

This really annoyed me and luckily I saw that Minion Games offered replacement cards for a "mere" 0.01$.
So I said to myself, sure, they made the error and I'll pay for it, whereas other companies offered similar replacements for free (for example FF and Fragor Games), but 0.01$ is not very expansive.

When I checked out, I noticed that they charge 13.50$ to ship two cards(!) internationally. My guess is they wanna force me to buy another game from them (now never gonna happen although I did thought of buying Chain Reaction before this fiasco) and add those two cards.
For comparison, shipping from MM a game as big as The Resistance Avalon costs around 7 bucks and Love Letter is 5.25$ to ship.

So good job Minion, you just got another unhappy customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried emailing them about the misprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
fargy wrote:
Have you tried emailing them about the misprint?

Yes, they said that I can order from their website and when I told them about the price, and that sending an envelope of 50 grams with USPS costs about 2$ they stopped answering me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this about the 2 starting cards which should be coloured red on the back, to identify them as starting cards the same as the other 4 are?

If so, this is no big deal and doesn't affect gameplay at all. Personally I lightly marked the 2 cards with a red highlighter, to quicken set up time, but even that is unnecessary if you remember to put the 6 cards away separately when packing the game. Personally I've never considered requesting replacements in this instance - especially as it has no effect, neither on the play, nor on the aesthetic appearance, of a very fine game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Love
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same as John. Marked the backs with a red pen.
Only with my first edition I think it is all 6 that are wrong (they have the same backs as all the other cards) so even the upgrade pack wouldn't help that.
No gameplay impact at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Thanks, I'll probably do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We answer 100% of all emails we get. So not backing a game (hell boycotting a company) cause your email somehow didn't get through seems a rather harsh answer. Not to mention you can geek-mail me, I'm not hard to find here. We have these free at conventions we attend and there is a phone number for you to have called us.

Since in this case the game (the first printing only, 3+ years out of print now) isn't broken or flawed by the incorrect backs on 2 of the 6 starting cards (they are never seen during play and only aid in setup), it is an unnecessary thing to fix. We have a limited quantity of them and so we help out where we can. To limit the number of requests for this unnecessary fix, we charge 1 cent plus shipping. The shipping costs come right from USPS not us. We don't ship them in an envelope as that always leads to them being damaged or lost and multiple reship requests when dealing with international. We don't tag any extra dollars on and we're not trying to trick you to buy something else.

I don't understand all the hate for something so minor. We are a very small company with a limited budget who always answers any emails we get within a day. Yet we get this as a response?

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
I don't understand all the hate for something so minor.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
We answer 100% of all emails we get. So not backing a game (hell boycotting a company) cause your email somehow didn't get through seems a rather harsh answer. Not to mention you can geek-mail me, I'm not hard to find here. We have these free at conventions we attend and there is a phone number for you to have called us.

Since in this case the game (the first printing only, 3+ years out of print now) isn't broken or flawed by the incorrect backs on 2 of the 6 starting cards (they are never seen during play and only aid in setup), it is an unnecessary thing to fix. We have a limited quantity of them and so we help out where we can. To limit the number of requests for this unnecessary fix, we charge 1 cent plus shipping. The shipping costs come right from USPS not us. We don't ship them in an envelope as that always leads to them being damaged or lost and multiple reship requests when dealing with international. We don't tag any extra dollars on and we're not trying to trick you to buy something else.

I don't understand all the hate for something so minor. We are a very small company with a limited budget who always answers any emails we get within a day. Yet we get this as a response?

James

Three comments:

1) A quick check of the game page makes no mention of you, neither does the Minion Games database entry. Personally, I'm always a little flummoxed when I see your responses as the Minion Games avatar never really registers with me ('cos of its size?) and the RPGShop "handle" doesn't give me any clues. So "not difficult to find me"? I disagree. (But that's not to say that access to Minion Games is hard.)

2) I have seen Publishers shrug off customer complaints about quality-related issues several times. Often they do so with (justifiable in most cases) comments about how it doesn't affect gameplay and therefore can be dismissed. What these publishers fail to realise is that, while from their perspective, it doesn't matter, to a (probably small) portion of their customer base it matters a lot. Gamers are a funny lot and our community probably includes a higher proportion of the tails of some bell curves than does the general population. Recognising this is probably a smart move.

3) It is my experience that people use hyperbole in these forums and I seldom take as fact any unverifiable assertion, assuming instead that it was likely made as much as for effect as any other reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.