Hide
20 Posts

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Solo playing this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Lundin
msg tools
I just bought this game. I will most playing solo. How do you do? Do you play with one or more hands? What are the benefits and what are the disadvantages?

//Markus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricard
Spain
Ullastrell / Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The function "coordinate" is very important for this game and it needs minimum two hands.
I play solo with two characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sandwichman wrote:
I just bought this game. I will most playing solo. How do you do? Do you play with one or more hands? What are the benefits and what are the disadvantages?

//Markus

Both this game and Legendary: Marvel became much better for me, when I started playing 2-handed.

Apart from the coordinate mechanic, then when playing 1-handed, you can easily end up in situations, where all 5 five cards you can buy will dilute your deck and there's often little you can do about it other than buying the cards (thus deluting your deck) and hope that something better takes their place.

When playing 2-handed you can build two different kinds of decks so that it is much less likely that the above happens, because what isn't useful for one hand is likely to be useful for the other.

There are also more strategic options available, when you can build two different decks.

Finally, both games felt too easy, when playing 1-handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colombo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play with one hand with the Fan-Expansion "Paralysing Fear":

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1268999/paralysing-fear-cus...

Witch i Designed and posted here the Needed Cards (but just for aesthetic purpose, you can use blank cards)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136747/paralysing-fea...

And with that addition is very challenging, try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play all the Legendary games I own solo with 2 hands because of the coordinate ability and the fact that I often try to have 2 2-color decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game solo, one-handed, with the "Golden" solitaire variant posted here on BGG.

With Encounters, playing one-handed feels wrong, mostly because of Coordinate, but also due to the potential for the HQ getting clogged.

But I don't want to play 2-handed, partly because it's mechanically a nuisance (setting down and picking up hands all the time), partly because it's a mental load (remembering which deck is trying to specialize in what), and partly because it lessens immersion (I am no longer a character "in" the game).

So for me, sadly, LE doesn't really work solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
But I don't want to play 2-handed, partly because it's mechanically a nuisance (setting down and picking up hands all the time).

Interesting. I never hold my "hand" in my hand (and yes, I know that sounds a bit weird ) when playing solo games. Instead I lay all the cards face-up on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
Thanks for your replies. It seems that the two-handed is much better. I'm really looking forward to play this game. It will be an interesting weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too, play with two characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started off with two characters and eventually migrated to 3 - just to bump up the relative challenge of the game a bit. 2+ for sure, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play solo with 3 hands. I find it adds a lot more variety to the game and more interesting situations occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
Five handed solo. Because why not? When soloing I usually play the maximum number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
Five handed solo. Because why not? When soloing I usually play the maximum number of players.

I just don't think it's a very good 5-player game. 4 is pretty good, but it can get a little unwieldy for one person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played solo with one hand, coordinate is useless in this regard, but it makes it much much harder, which I enjoy. Because of this I have only beaten the first movie once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play with only 1 hand without Coordinate (and don't use Mercenary's and Priest's Avatars, too powerfull).

But sometimes I play with a little variant:
I only play with 5 cards in hand (instead of six) but let me keep one Coordinate Card in hand at the end of my turn.
So the cards with Coordinate remains interesting in the solo game, without varying the difficulty of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Hiemenz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean you only draw 5. So if you keep a coordinate card you could end up with 6 cards in hand? Or if you keep the coordinate card you would only draw 4?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gruberstein13 wrote:
Do you mean you only draw 5. So if you keep a coordinate card you could end up with 6 cards in hand? Or if you keep the coordinate card you would only draw 4?
Thanks.
Yes, I draw only 5 cards each turn (unless specific event). So yes, if i keep 1 coordinate card, i will have 6 cards during my next turn.

1. It gives the interest of coordinate cards in the solo play (and justifies the high cost of these cards).
2. It fixes the difficulty of the solo play (really too easy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
mortenmdk wrote:
sandwichman wrote:

//Markus

Both this game and Legendary: Marvel became much better for me, when I started playing 2-handed.

Apart from the coordinate mechanic, then when playing 1-handed, you can easily end up in situations, where all 5 five cards you can buy will dilute your deck and there's often little you can do about it other than buying the cards (thus deluting your deck) and hope that something better takes their place.

When playing 2-handed you can build two different kinds of decks so that it is much less likely that the above happens, because what isn't useful for one hand is likely to be useful for the other.

There are also more strategic options available, when you can build two different decks.

Finally, both games felt too easy, when playing 1-handed.

I have just finished my first episode with LE Firefly, 2 handed solo.
I love it, and I am now thinking of getting Alien. I like the idea of there always being 5 character no matter how many players there are with Firefly.

I am curious as to how playing 1 handed solo is easier than 2 handed solo with Alien. Don't you get a lot more attack card etc with 2 hands than 1. Shouldn't that make 2 hands easier. I have read the Alien pdf manual, and I can't seem to see where all this solo play difficulty level adjustment for various number of players is going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you've got a facehugger in front of you, coordinate can be really useful in Alien. Sometimes the cards conspire to not give you the attacks you need, but the other player/hand might help. Plus it's game over, man, if the facehugger plays Nature Channel with your face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.