17 Posts

Tail Feathers» Forums » General

Subject: So, is this dead in the water...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Lind
msg tools
mb
Since launch we have not heard a single beep about more content for this otherwise great game.
What happened to the new scenarios that was promised?
Or any kind of expansion at all?
No news about anything really since it launched like a year ago :-(

Right now I'm considering trading it for some X-Wing stuff instead, at least that game has some support...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I'm a fan, and love this universe. But my friends loooove to make fun of me (playfully, I'm assuming...) by sending me photos of PILES of game stock at various FLGS around the bay area. I'm worried that it just isn't doing well, and thus the company hasn't put expansions, news and additional content as a priority.

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like that's the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid Hat hasn't abandonned the Mice & Mystics IP. I heard rumors that they're currently working on an expansion for Downwood Tales. I suspect that they'll include some character/mission tie-ins for Tail Feathers, as they did with the the base Mice & Mystics game.

XWing was designed to be a money sink from the beginning. The base game only had 3 units, in order to give you a taste, and you are expected to build out your fleets by investing more into the game.

Tail Feathers has a full game in the box. There's a fair amount of units and variety of powers in the box to mix and match as you please. The game comes with scenarios that can be played as one-offs or in a campaign mode. To top it all off, there's even a scenario generator.

When Plaid Hat decides to expand the Tail Feathers game I'll probably be the first in line to pre-order. However, until that happens I'm content with what's in the base game and my wallet is relieved to know that I won't need to pump a ton of money into this system to have many truly epic and memorable experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
Plaid Hat hasn't abandonned the Mice & Mystics IP. I heard rumors that they're currently working on an expansion for Downwood Tales. I suspect that they'll include some character/mission tie-ins for Tail Feathers, as they did with the the base Mice & Mystics game.

XWing was designed to be a money sink from the beginning. The base game only had 3 units, in order to give you a taste, and you are expected to build out your fleets by investing more into the game.

Tail Feathers has a full game in the box. There's a fair amount of units and variety of powers in the box to mix and match as you please. The game comes with scenarios that can be played as one-offs or in a campaign mode. To top it all off, there's even a scenario generator.

When Plaid Hat decides to expand the Tail Feathers game I'll probably be the first in line to pre-order. However, until that happens I'm content with what's in the base game and my wallet is relieved to know that I won't need to pump a ton of money into this system to have many truly epic and memorable experiences.

Very good comment, highlighting the difference between Plaid Hat's Tail Feathers and FFG's X-wing. Similarly, an expansion for TF will take extensive play testing and have a lot more content overall than a single ship expansion for X-wing.

That being said, I sure do wonder if TF is reaching sales targets and if it's not, what PH is planning to do to boost sales or let it die.

I picked it up as soon as it was available. I love the M&M universe, and I actually think TF will get more play time than M&M for me and my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't forget that the Mice and Mystics games are Jerry's baby and from what I gather he's the point man on these projects. Unless his status has changed since the company's move to Dallas, game design is his part time gig. He wedges it between his day job and family. Plenty of podcasts and interviews out there that describe what a time suck it is to design, playtest, and market a game (especially if they want to maintain PH's high standards in playtesting).

I've noticed a growing trend in the community when it comes to expansions. Their is a growing sentiment that a game must have expansions and those expansions better come annually. No expansion means the game is crap and shouldn't be bothered with. IMHO, this is crazy. As the previous post noted, Tail Feathers is not only excellent, its COMPLETE and a full game the box.

There was a time when it was the community that made the additional content, and I've seen that happen with M&M community. I can't help but think of the discussions I've heard between Jerry and Colby about how they got their start as game designers. They were part of the Heroscape community, and because they put so much effort in that community, they were noticed by Hasbro and offered a job.

While at the same time, I agree with the sentiment of the OP, I want more. However, I'd rather wait for a good thoughtful product than some money sucking gimmick. The last thing I'd want is for Jerry to get burnt out on the IP trying to satisfy the insatiable thirst for more more more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
I heard rumors that they're currently working on an expansion for Downwood Tales.

That didn't make much sense. What did you mean exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's target audience with XWing is the "tournament" scene. They release wave after wave of ship packs because they understand that in order to stay competitive the consumers will need to buy the products.

With Tail Feathers, Plaid Hat is targeting the casual gaming scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
bbhalla wrote:
I heard rumors that they're currently working on an expansion for Downwood Tales.

That didn't make much sense. What did you mean exactly?

Simply that their next expansion will build on the Downwood Tales material. You will require the Downwood Tales expansion box in order to use the next expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiken Bird wrote:

Don't forget that the Mice and Mystics games are Jerry's baby and from what I gather he's the point man on these projects. Unless his status has changed since the company's move to Dallas, game design is his part time gig. He wedges it between his day job and family. Plenty of podcasts and interviews out there that describe what a time suck it is to design, playtest, and market a game (especially if they want to maintain PH's high standards in playtesting).

This. Jerry has a full time job. I talked to him at Gencon, and I won't say anything that hasn't been said on the podcast, but suffice to say these M&M universe games are his babies. He won't forget about them. He is a man of many ideas.

With that being said, he has said on the podcast his main focus in terms of design right now is another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry won't leave his babies and has lots of ideas, thats for sure. However, he stated numerous times that he's just an employee of PHG and it's always up to Colby. Ideas for games is one thing, business reality is another.

It goes back to an estimate how PHG is actually doing now. Second summonses for SW weren't a hit, Seafall isn't getting good reviews, new Dead of Winter is mostly meh for current owners, not sure about the success of Ashes. I think they need a big hit, before they can pursue some risks like expansion for Tail Feathers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like a blister pack of the character miniatures from M&M that match the cards that come in Tail Feathers. I would like to include them in my Tail Feathers games, but as an old RPG guy, if I want a dungeon crawl / story telling game, I'll play an RPG, I don't need it pre-packaged in a box for me. They have the molds already . . . it would be a quick, relatively easy project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MStone wrote:
I would just like a blister pack of the character miniatures from M&M that match the cards that come in Tail Feathers. I would like to include them in my Tail Feathers games, but as an old RPG guy, if I want a dungeon crawl / story telling game, I'll play an RPG, I don't need it pre-packaged in a box for me. They have the molds already . . . it would be a quick, relatively easy project.

Once upon a time that was an option. I remember considering it so that I could paint a set without fear of wrecking my game. I don't see it on the website anymore, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also please keeep in mind that this stuff takes TIME. Theres playtesting and more playtesting. Id be less than thrilled if they just banged out a half-assed expansion with no checks.

Theres also the not-so little factor that sculpting minis takes TIME. So usually does painting the art.

A conversion card set might be viable with existing stock art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jansson
msg tools
As much as I would love an expansion with two or three mercenary birds with riders, I am still not finished with painting the base game miniatures.

I suspect I will be done in a year or so. Hopefully there will have come an expansion with more birds by then.

Also, as many here point out. Tail feathers is a complete game that fuses miniature battle mechanics with board game mechanics. It's not really comparable to a game like X-wing that was designed to be a collecting game from the start.

But yeah, if you have Mice and Mystics you have a lot of ground troops to choose from. It would be nice to have a few more birds for those epic big battles.

Since birds need to make up at least half of the points you probably can't really use all the miniatures if you use the ones from mice and mystics. which is probably intentional though, or the trees would be very crowded. A bird expansion might need to come with more tree tiles.

You could expand by buying another copy and using the non unique cards. I don't really want to buy another copy of the game though, for one I don't want to paint another full set which for two, I would want to do or it would feel like a waste to not use the ability to play with four players. And for three, I really want different kinds of birds and new riders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A miniatures game with no expansions released or even teased during it first 13 months of existence? From a business perspective that strongly suggests that the game did not sell well and is quietly being shelved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
I really want some kind of expansion. It doesn't need to be a big box. We need more birds miniatures and some pilot cards at least
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
For what it is worth, it was just released in Germany. If it hadn't sold probably Heidelberger wouldn't have bothered translating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.