20 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Some good Games from japanese history? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I got the Tunisia II And reluctant enemies And now looking from smtng from Japan and Vietnam war, would prefer Japanese ancient times

Thnx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/989463/games-based-medieval...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
There is GMT's 2007 game in the Great Battles of History series, Ran, which deals with warfare in sixteenth and seventeenth century Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
nukeu666 wrote:
This and the geeklists inside it are pretty comprehensive for folks who can't read Japanese.

How much did it end up costing you, Karan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kalevi1999 wrote:

Unfortunately, the only history you will learn from this games is in the rulebook notes.

The game itself is so abstract you may as well play Ikusa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
kalevi1999 wrote:

Unfortunately, the only history you will learn from this games is in the rulebook notes.

Fortunately the notes were neat and the game is rock solid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shogun or Ikusa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
flag msg tools
mb
DegenerateElite wrote:
kalevi1999 wrote:

Disagree:

- It provides a good model of the challenges of moving large forces in Japan due to terrain.

- The map layout is pretty accurate and encourages [read: channels] players to battle in the Tokaido corridor (without being dictatorial).

- There are a number of nods to the historic scenario via the layout of starting positions of the forces, and their strengths.

- It excellently models the intrigue and treachery of the era by making troops unreliable.

To wit, all games are abstract representations and the suggestion that this game is abstracted such as to be unworthy of attention, or incapable of offering insight into the historical context and event, is flawed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a Geeklist of games about Japan vs. China during the WWII era:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/200119

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of Japan This is an interesting game. Has easy rules and alot of tactical decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai Battles

Although OOP, I believe it's still not hard to find. A lot of value in the box with a huge number of beautiful minis (although admittedly incredibly time consuming to assemble, even before painting) and two game systems, C&C and Art of Tactic, which can both be used with the same set of minis. Covers the Sengoku Jidai (but there are player designed scenarios outside that period). Richard Borg has also hinted that GMT may be reissuing the C&C version in the future.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
kalevi1999 wrote:

Disagree:

- It provides a good model of the challenges of moving large forces in Japan due to terrain.

- The map layout is pretty accurate and encourages [read: channels] players to battle in the Tokaido corridor (without being dictatorial).

- There are a number of nods to the historic scenario via the layout of starting positions of the forces, and their strengths.

- It excellently models the intrigue and treachery of the era by making troops unreliable.

To wit, all games are abstract representations and the suggestion that this game is abstracted such as to be unworthy of attention, or incapable of offering insight into the historical context and event, is flawed.

- Neither side had any issues moving troops across Japan in this period. The only thing that caused significant delays was armies becoming preoccupied with castle sieges, and missing battles.

- The map layout is simplistic and channels the battles because there are only two routes that lead to the same place.

- The amalgamation of the multiple clans that fought, down to four per side, obscures any true insight into deployment, disposition, or troop strength. A false catchall grouping that abstracts away any useful unit data.

- The Loyalty mechanic does not model the treachery and side switching that took place. It temporarily switches a block or two during a single combat. When clans switched sides during this conflict, the whole clan switched sides and did not switch back.

The game is fun, but you are delusional if you think it accurately models anything.

Like I said before, if the historical notes were not in the rulebook, then someone without knowledge of this period beforehand, would not know what the hell was going on. Even worse, they would receive a distorted and simplistic story of events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hopefully when I get around to translating the materials for Sekigahara 1600, we'll have a more in-depth operational treatment of the battle to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

kalevi1999 wrote:

+1 thumbsup

I have watched several Taiga drama (大河ドラマ) about Sengoku period and also read fictions (e.g. Tokugawa Ieyasu by Yamaoka Sōhachi) as well as similar Japanese history books. Still I think Sekigahara is a good abstraction about manoeuvres and battles at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
Hopefully when I get around to translating the materials for Sekigahara 1600, we'll have a more in-depth operational treatment of the battle to consider.
How far along are you on that, by the by? I'm probably going to get my hands on it in a week or so myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
junkers wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
How far along are you on that, by the by? I'm probably going to get my hands on it in a week or so myself.

0% done. I finished up the other small project, got in touch with the designer, and they informed me that I had an old version of the rules. I'm taking a small break now, but then I might take care of the revised rules they sent me first. I'm itching to get started on Sekigahara though, so we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
Well it's 50-50 whether I start it or Tenka Fubu first, but the way work has been, I forsee only one of them getting done before Christmas...

If the two of us muck through it together, maybe that will actually be this Christmas.

But seriously it's good to hear you're taking a break, even from the smaller project. It's a very draining exercise and I can't fathom how some folks do it for a living.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
junkers wrote:
Well it's 50-50 whether I start it or Tenka Fubu first, but the way work has been, I forsee only one of them getting done before Christmas...

If the two of us muck through it together, maybe that will actually be this Christmas.

But seriously it's good to hear you're taking a break, even from the smaller project. It's a very draining exercise and I can't fathom how some folks do it for a living.

OK sounds good, I'll let you know when I start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.