$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 127.81

7,569 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beginner questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

1. Do I have to draw an event card in a small city?

2. Do I have to read the event aloud?

3. Do I have to spend all the points of a train ticket?

4. Can I use a yellow 1 to travel 1 white train line?

5. What can a hunter do during night? Everything except moving?

6. If there are more than one hunter fighting Dracula, Dracula can only attack the hunter he has chosen to "fight" against his card? So if he bites a hunter, he bites only one hunter and only the one he chose at the beginning?

7. Do I have to completely discard the card "plot" if it is countered?

8. Can I use the ability of the card "plot" in the same turn I'm playing it? Or do I have to wait for the next card?

9. The card "strength" ➡️ The hunter has to remove his cruzifix completely and can't take it back?

10. "Saboteur" ➡️ What does is mean the hunter is "hindered"?

11. "Rats" ➡️ Why should I put this card face up back in the hideout? Does a hunter gets 2 damages if he searches this hideout again?

12. A hunter only gets placed in a hospital during the next dawn? But what if the fight was happening during a dawn phase? He has to wait a complete turn?

13. The card "Jonathan Harker" says that I can search a city. What does this mean? I can name any city and if I'm lucky Dracula was or is in that city and he has to reveal this card? But if I have bad luck, nothing happens?

14. If a card says "name x cities, Dracula has to reveal them" and Dracula is actually in one of the named. Dracula places his meeple on that city. But what happens with the encounter card on it? Because the hunter isn't in that city so it doesn't make much sense to deal with that card at all... Right or wrong?

15. Draculas ability "fury". Does the influence counter increase everytime Dracula is placing a city card as long as there are 3 despair tokens? Or just once in the entire game?

Ok, I have even more questions cry

16. The combat card "strength" of Dracula says "if it's night..." But the fights are during dusk or dawn? So which one of them is night? For me both are not...

17. Some cards saying "if you have a weapon card..." But what is considered as a weapon? Garlic? Support from heaven?

18. The card "support from heaven" (german translation...) deals only 4 damage to Dracula if I'm not the attacking player and Dracula didn't play "fangs". So it's only useful if there are more than one hunter in the fight?

19. If a hunter reveals a vampire. The vampire survives/flees. What happens to this vampire if this card will be put out of the track?

20. If Dracula plays two 'Hypnosis' during combat, does a weapon deal 0 damage?


Omg, I hate this manual (german one)...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Equipment and events
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Hi

Do I have to draw an event card in a small city?


If you perform the Supply action, you must always draw an event except when you are in a hospital space. You aren't forced to supply of course.

Quote:
Do I have to read the event aloud?


If the event is a hunter event and is to be played immediately it must be read aloud, if it is not to be played immediately it is taken into the player's hand without need to read it. If it is a Dracula event drawn during the night it is passed to Dracula without looking at it and the Count then either keeps or plays immediately.

Quote:
3. Do I have to spend all the points of a train ticket?


No

Quote:
4. Can I use a yellow 1 to travel 1 white train line?


Yes, yellow numbers can be used to travel on either colour lines, white numbers can only be used on white lines. Note that you can only use one number if the ticket has 2, you don't add the numbers. If you have a yellow one then you will also have a white number of 1 or 2, the only tickets with a single number all have a white 1.

Quote:
5. What can a hunter do during night?


Anything that they can do during day, except moving.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveD wrote:
Quote:
Do I have to read the event aloud?


If the event is a hunter event and is to be played immediately it must be read aloud, if it is not to be played immediately it is taken into the player's hand without need to read it. If it is a Dracula event drawn during the night it is passed to Dracula without looking at it and the Count then either keeps or plays immediately.


Small clarification - you do need to read aloud the 'play condition' whenever you draw a card. If it says 'Play at night' you need to read that out.

EDIT - Actually maybe not. The rules says you must read the timing text, we interpreted that as reading it aloud. But it doesn't actually say that so possibly not. In any case if you do read it aloud it means you can't forget to play it immediately if that's what you are supposed to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Hi


Omg, I hate this manual (german one)...


Die englische Anleitung ist der gleiche FFG Schrott. Ist ne 1:1 Übersetzung .. Aber tiefes Studium rentiert sich. Irgendwann ..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Omg, I hate this manual (german one)...
You're not alone...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
DaveD wrote:
Quote:
Do I have to read the event aloud?


If the event is a hunter event and is to be played immediately it must be read aloud, if it is not to be played immediately it is taken into the player's hand without need to read it. If it is a Dracula event drawn during the night it is passed to Dracula without looking at it and the Count then either keeps or plays immediately.


Small clarification - you do need to read aloud the 'play condition' whenever you draw a card. If it says 'Play at night' you need to read that out.

EDIT - Actually maybe not. The rules says you must read the timing text, we interpreted that as reading it aloud. But it doesn't actually say that so possibly not. In any case if you do read it aloud it means you can't forget to play it immediately if that's what you are supposed to do.


On the other hand, if you read it aloud and it's not to be played immediately you're giving information to your opponent(s) that they don't need to have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
What about question 6 to 11?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
6. If there are more than one hunter fighting Dracula, Dracula can only attack the hunter he has chosen to "fight" against his card? So if he bites a hunter, he bites only one hunter and only the one he chose at the beginning?


Yes
Quote:
7. Do I have to completely discard the card "plot" if it is countered?


Like any other Dracula combat card, if it is cancelled by matching icons, it is turned face down and has no further effect on the combat.

Quote:
8. Can I use the ability of the card "plot" in the same turn I'm playing it? Or do I have to wait for the next card?


The ability to choose a card from the combat deck is used immediately if the card is not cancelled. The ability to cancel a hunter card can be used in any subsequent round (not the one when the card is played) after cards are revealed but before icons are compared (this is as stated in the FAQ).

Quote:
9. The card "strength" ➡️ The hunter has to remove his cruzifix completely and can't take it back?


If it is dawn or day it can be used again (after skipping a round), if it is dusk or night the hunter loses it to the item discard pile.

Quote:
10. "Saboteur" ➡️ What does is mean the hunter is "hindered"?


The wording on the English card says delayed not hindered, it means that the hunter lays their figure on its side and when they would take their next action they simply stand it up and don't do anything else.

Quote:
11. "Rats" ➡️ Why should I put this card face up back in the hideout? Does a hunter gets 2 damages if he searches this hideout again?


Correct, searching again means another 2 damage and if another hunter enters the location Dracula may ambush causing 2 damage to the entering hunter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Thx!

Ah, the delayed part is explained in the reference manual...

I think I've already spent about 2-3hrs understanding this game gulp
I'm more afraid to teaching it to others than from Dracula...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveD wrote:
Orion3T wrote:
DaveD wrote:
Quote:
Do I have to read the event aloud?


If the event is a hunter event and is to be played immediately it must be read aloud, if it is not to be played immediately it is taken into the player's hand without need to read it. If it is a Dracula event drawn during the night it is passed to Dracula without looking at it and the Count then either keeps or plays immediately.


Small clarification - you do need to read aloud the 'play condition' whenever you draw a card. If it says 'Play at night' you need to read that out.

EDIT - Actually maybe not. The rules says you must read the timing text, we interpreted that as reading it aloud. But it doesn't actually say that so possibly not. In any case if you do read it aloud it means you can't forget to play it immediately if that's what you are supposed to do.


On the other hand, if you read it aloud and it's not to be played immediately you're giving information to your opponent(s) that they don't need to have.


Yes, we did realise that!

We assumed that was deliberate to give some possible warning of when cards might come into play, while also giving definite confirmation it wasn't a 'Play Immediately' card. Though in practise we never really remembered the info (lucky if we remember when our own cards are played let alone the opponents!)

In my defense, telling us to read the card seems redundant - firstly because it's normal to read a card you just drew, and secondly if it says in the rules some cards are played immediately, then the only way to know which is to read the text. So to even mention is might be why I interpreted it that way (and I'm not sure but maybe this is why the OP asked the question?)

In any case after re-reading it and seeing it doesn't specify 'aloud' I don't think that was the intention, so we won't be doing that from now on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
... I'm more afraid to teaching it to others than from Dracula...


I was worried about that too, but the feedback I got was that after a couple of rounds people felt they had a handle on it - though there were still questions of "What does this mean...?" quite a lot...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Orion3T wrote:

In my defense, telling us to read the card seems redundant - firstly because it's normal to read a card you just drew, and secondly if it says in the rules some cards are played immediately, then the only way to know which is to read the text. So to even mention is might be why I interpreted it that way (and I'm not sure but maybe this is why the OP asked the question?)

In any case after re-reading it and seeing it doesn't specify 'aloud' I don't think that was the intention, so we won't be doing that from now on.


My assumption is that there are people who may just draw a card and put it in their hand of event cards without looking at it immediately, therefore potentially missing the timing text. Like someone who wants to quickly finish up their turn and then go use the bathroom or get something to drink. They could just draw the card and lay it on their character board and go. I think the rules emphasize the need to read the timing text to avoid such situations. Just a theory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
COMaestro wrote:
My assumption is that there are people who may just draw a card and put it in their hand of event cards without looking at it immediately, therefore potentially missing the timing text. Like someone who wants to quickly finish up their turn and then go use the bathroom or get something to drink. They could just draw the card and lay it on their character board and go. I think the rules emphasize the need to read the timing text to avoid such situations. Just a theory.


And in retrospect, while I still think it's redundant, I would certainly agree that's the reason they included it.

It was just that I didn't give it that much thought, and the mention of reading it I took to mean read aloud. Certainly not the worst of rules mistakes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
For me it makes a difference if I have to read it aloud or not. If I'm Dracula this could be a hint.

Next question:
12. A hunter only gets placed in a hospital during the next dawn? But what if the fight was happening during a dawn phase? He has to wait a complete turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
For me it makes a difference if I have to read it aloud or not. If I'm Dracula this could be a hint.

Next question:
12. A hunter only gets placed in a hospital during the next dawn? But what if the fight was happening during a dawn phase? He has to wait a complete turn?


Yes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Next questions:

13. The card "Jonathan Harker" says that I can search a city. What does this mean? I can name any city and if I'm lucky Dracula was or is in that city and he has to reveal this card? But if I have bad luck, nothing happens?

14. If a card says "name x cities, Dracula has to reveal them" and Dracula is actually in one of the named. Dracula places his meeple on that city. But what happens with the encounter card on it? Because the hunter isn't in that city so it doesn't make much sense to deal with that card at all... Right or wrong?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Next question:

13. The card "Jonathan Harker" says that I can search a city. What does this mean? I can name any city and if I'm lucky Dracula was or is in that city and he has to reveal this card? But if I have bad luck, nothing happens?


Are you asking the same question as this post?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1651963/im-idiot-what-does-...

If so, it sounds like you have it right. Though wherever the card is Dracula must reveal it - if it's in his hand, he should show it to the hunters to prove it's not on the board. Which is in his own interests as well as it reduces the chances of making a Dracula Error by getting it wrong.

Though I would say it's not so much about luck - you should choose locations which will tell you something whether he was actually there or not. Either way you then narrow down the possibilities.

Point I'm trying to make is, don't just take a blind guess, and don't assume that revealing him is the best thing. It might be, but it also might be better to know he didn't go a certain way, if it means his alternative route leaves him easier to corner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks David

15. Draculas ability "fury". Does the influence counter increase everytime Dracula is placing a city card as long as there are 3 despair tokens? Or just once in the entire game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Thanks David

15. Draculas ability "fury". Does the influence counter increase everytime Dracula is placing a city card as long as there are 3 despair tokens? Or just once in the entire game?


Every time.

This is essentially giving a time limit to the game, by giving only very limited number of turns for the Hunters to finish off Drac before they run out of time.

Note he does not get influence if he is at sea - only city cards give him influence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I have even more questions cry

16. The combat card "strength" of Dracula says "if it's night..." But the fights are during dusk or dawn? So which one of them is night? For me both are not...

17. Some cards saying "if you have a weapon card..." But what is considered as a weapon? Garlic? Support from heaven?

18. The card "support from heaven" (german translation...) deals only 4 damage to Dracula if I'm not the attacking player and Dracula didn't play "fangs". So it's only useful if there are more than one hunter in the fight?

19. If a hunter reveals a vampire. The vampire survives/flees. What happens to this vampire if this card will be put out of the track?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Ok, I have even more questions cry

16. The combat card "strength" of Dracula says "if it's night..." But the fights are during dusk or dawn? So which one of them is night? For me both are not...


According to the reference guide, dusk means that the night effect applies, dawn does not.

Quote:
17. Some cards saying "if you have a weapon card..." But what is considered as a weapon? Garlic? Support from heaven?


A Weapon card will have the word weapon on it, these are Knife, Pistol and Rifle, no others.

Quote:
18. The card "support from heaven" (german translation...) deals only 4 damage to Dracula if I'm not the attacking player and Dracula didn't play "fangs". So it's only useful if there are more than one hunter in the fight?


I think it is Heavenly host in English. The card deals 4 damage to Dracula regardless of whether you are the engage hunter, the only exception being if you are engaged and he plays Fangs. So if you play Heavenly Host and Dracula engages you with something other than Fangs, you do 4 damage unless your card is cancelled.

Quote:
19. If a hunter reveals a vampire. The vampire survives/flees. What happens to this vampire if this card will be put out of the track?


I'm not sure what you mean by the question. The vampire remains on the trail, Heavenly Host is never placed on the trail. If the card is used to place a marker on the board in response to Consecrated Ground, this has no effect on a vampire other than to reveal it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveD wrote:
GarfieldKlon wrote:
19. If a hunter reveals a vampire. The vampire survives/flees. What happens to this vampire if this card will be put out of the track?


I'm not sure what you mean by the question. The vampire remains on the trail, Heavenly Host is never placed on the trail. If the card is used to place a marker on the board in response to Consecrated Ground, this has no effect on a vampire other than to reveal it.


I think the question is just about whether vampires remain on the location after being involved in a combat, if they survive. The answer is they stay there, face up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
GarfieldKlon wrote:
14. If a card says "name x cities, Dracula has to reveal them" and Dracula is actually in one of the named. Dracula places his meeple on that city. But what happens with the encounter card on it? Because the hunter isn't in that city so it doesn't make much sense to deal with that card at all... Right or wrong?


I don't think anyone has answered 14 yet. It looks like you have it right; Drac reveals the city, whether in his hand or on the trail. He doesn't have to reveal the encounter on the city.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Moose Malloy wrote:
GarfieldKlon wrote:
14. If a card says "name x cities, Dracula has to reveal them" and Dracula is actually in one of the named. Dracula places his meeple on that city. But what happens with the encounter card on it? Because the hunter isn't in that city so it doesn't make much sense to deal with that card at all... Right or wrong?


I don't think anyone has answered 14 yet. It looks like you have it right; Drac reveals the city, whether in his hand or on the trail. He doesn't have to reveal the encounter on the city.


Agreed. The card only says to reveal the cities, not any encounter cards on them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
20. If Dracula plays two 'Hypnosis' during combat, does a weapon deal 0 damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.