$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 101.92

6,430 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
40.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: How to GeekMod better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Conrad Raup
Australia
CORNUBIA
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
I'm starting to GeekMod to start to build credit on the site and to expose myself to a range of new games. I've been doing it for a couple of days now and I'm wondering is there a way to guide me toward what more experienced GeekModders think. I have read all the guidelines and I realise that this is a very subjective game. Not having a lot of experience I may see an image that I think is perfectly fine and approve it only to have it declined by the majority (I believe I don't get anything here because I was "wrong"). Conversely I could reject something because I believe it wasn't good enough only for it to be approved.

Is there any way to see some sort of feedback (see when images are rejected what the reasons were for example) to guide me into becoming a better modder? I guess over time my skill will improve, but without knowing if I'm going in the right direction, am I helping the community or just wasting my time?
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
über evil bob
United States
Mount Doom
Middle-earth
flag msg tools
And you thought Old & CE Bob was Evil
badge
LIVE ACTION SPAM HUNTER
mbmbmbmbmb
on the Geekmod page is a History link
you can check your voting vs the outcome

Geekmod is democracy, good and bad

bad images do get approved
good images do get declined

over time users gain experience
with experience users can change their views and voting habits
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not automatically. There's also the issue that there aren't yet checkboxes to match all of the reasons to decline an image, and without the comments box, users can't specify other reasons. So they may, for example, have to select the "too small" box (or another box) if an image is too large.

I scrolled through some of the recently geekmodded images, and most of your votes seemed to match.

This one



was declined for a bunch of reasons, mostly blurry, irrelevant, and exposure.

Quote:
I could reject something because I believe it wasn't good enough only for it to be approved.


If you think something isn't good enough, doesn't meet the guidelines, please decline. I've tipped you a geekgold, which will make up for 100 approve votes (that is, you get .01gg for approving, so if you don't want to decline because you will miss out on the geekgold, this will take care of that for the next 100 such images).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
... Generally the better a Geekmodder you are, the lower your percentage score.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad Raup
Australia
CORNUBIA
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
The History button was nearly exactly what I was looking for. I can see I'm off to a good start already and can already see where I might have gone wrong. Thank you for helping me improve.

Thank you for the tip. I'm not afraid to decline. I think we're better off with better quality images for sure. However, I'm a little surprised at the "sameness" a lot of pics in the gallery have though. I would have thought more would be rejected. Do games really need 300 pictures of the same components?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ConradR wrote:
However, I'm a little surprised at the "sameness" a lot of pics in the gallery have though. I would have thought more would be rejected. Do games really need 300 pictures of the same components?


Hello, another relatively new geekmodder here. I have this exact same question. I regularly decline as 'similar' when someone posts the 139th picture of the same components and then see it later gets approved. What's the official policy on this? I know I don't want 300 pictures of the same thing in an image gallery...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
ConradR wrote:
However, I'm a little surprised at the "sameness" a lot of pics in the gallery have though. I would have thought more would be rejected. Do games really need 300 pictures of the same components?

Hello, another relatively new geekmodder here. I have this exact same question. I regularly decline as 'similar' when someone posts the 139th picture of the same components and then see it later gets approved. What's the official policy on this? I know I don't want 300 pictures of the same thing in an image gallery...

You're probably doing the right thing. An exception would be if it's a new version, a different language, a different publisher.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
You're probably doing the right thing. An exception would be if it's a new version, a different language, a different publisher.


Thanks Walt, good to know my thoughts match others.

Is there a review/audit process for existing items with lots of redundant images that have slipped through the mod process?

I imagine there is a lot of resistance to removing existing content but when I look later and see that there are a dozen similar pictures of the same board setup or components it would make sense to at least remove some of them, especially if they're lower quality?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Is there a review/audit process for existing items with lots of redundant images that have slipped through the mod process?

Not a formal one. It's been suggested that we have a fourth archive gallery, since removing images could destroy reviews. Someone would propose moving an image out of the main galleries into the archive and the idea would go through GeekMod. But the idea has never found much acceptance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Not a formal one. It's been suggested that we have a fourth archive gallery, since removing images could destroy reviews. Someone would propose moving an image out of the main galleries into the archive and the idea would go through GeekMod. But the idea has never found much acceptance.


Hmmm, as a starting point, images in reviews could be ignored? There's plenty of dupes and poor quality stuff that could be thrown out before getting into review images...
I'm not saying I know the right answer here but it seems like we could have more of a focus on quality over quantity
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Storage is cheap. Too much clutter is a reason to get them out of the main galleries. There's no reason to delete them, and many reasons not to. I don't think the system is designed to track where images are used, reviews, session reports, forum posts, blogs....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't suggesting deletion (software engineer so understand your point) - I was thinking from a cluttered galleries perspective. I also know I'm not going to create some sort of magic bullet for this It's good to hear a bit more about the problem though, so thanks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.