Hide
16 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Decision making on next 2 ships to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Kruppe
msg tools
I am new to this game and i have 2 Force Awakens core sets( 2 x-wings and 4 tie fighters). I am sure everybody already knew that. I would like to get 1 more rebel ship and 1 more imperial ship. I am going to start soon going to a local store to play against people. At the moment i have only been playing against the AI programs which is fine that i am learning mechanics and flow, but leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the imperials i was thinking about the tie phantom or vader.

For the rebels i was thinking about the a-wing or y-wing.

For these two ships i would like to spend $20 or under for each ship. Next month i will have a little more to spend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Myers

Missouri
msg tools
mb
I'm super new, so take my advice with a grain of salt. If you don't have anyone else to play with aside from your planned trips to your FLGS, maybe you're better off just sticking with one faction...at least for now. From my research, there's no need to have a balanced set unless you're providing for another player.

I just started last week and I'll be playing mostly against my brother and sister-in-law. They went Imperial heavy, so I got the Rebel Aces and B-Wing. I plan to follow that up with the Heroes of the Resistance pack (new Falcon, Poe's Black One X-Wing) when it's available. I'll probably stop there for a good long while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Kruppe
msg tools
Thanks for the advice. i understand what you are saying for sure. the problem i am having is that i do want to field a squad for playing in stores, but i also do want to buy so if other people come over and want to give it a try i will have ships available. And maybe one day my wife will play me.(probably not). Thank you for your response the rebel aces pack looks nice thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say to get more experience before going for a Tie Phantom or a Tie Interceptor. These 2 ships require high skill to pilot well. You need to be able to evaluate precisly distance and also know where and when to dive in/ break out.

Samething for an A-Wing.

I would say to get a Tie/sf from the wave 9. It is a sturdy ship with good stats.

Like Gennataos said, if you do not provide ships for 2 players, you should focus on 1 faction and get a good build. Because you will soon notice that you need cards from ships that you won't even use (example: To run a good Y-Wing, you need TLT from K-Wing). The used market is the best place to get cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Myers

Missouri
msg tools
mb
pearblossomkurt wrote:
Thanks for the advice. i understand what you are saying for sure. the problem i am having is that i do want to field a squad for playing in stores, but i also do want to buy so if other people come over and want to give it a try i will have ships available. And maybe one day my wife will play me.(probably not). Thank you for your response the rebel aces pack looks nice thanks.

I'd bet those 4 Tie Fighters you already have would cover those "just in case" situations...at least for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vader's ability is pretty powerful, but the TIE Advanced doesn't really shine without the upgrades that come with the Imperial Raider huge ship. Which is probably more of an investment than you're wanting to make right now, especially for the sake of improving a single small ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Kruppe
msg tools
Thank you. So what everyone is telling me is to just focus on one faction and build them up. And if i ever have people over who do not own any ships i should play like factions against each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Kruppe
msg tools
Thanks for the advice on gaining more skill before i go after harder ships to pilot. would you suggest getting a y-wing and a k-wing or looking for used cards on ebay or other places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pearblossomkurt wrote:
So what everyone is telling me is to just focus on one faction and build them up. And if i ever have people over who do not own any ships i should play like factions against each other?

In keeping with the "theme" it doesn't seem right to pit rebels versus rebels, but it is not prohibited in the game. Like versus Like faction matches happen quite a bit during tournaments. That being said...

The best / fastest / cheapest way to get a bunch of ships is from eBay. There are always folks selling their collection because "baby on the way" or "bills to pay" or "wife / significant other says it has to go." When I was setting up to run the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster (if you don't know what that is yet, check it out) I bought a set of Imperial ships for about 1/3 list price as a bundle on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knutson
msg tools
mbmbmb
pearblossomkurt wrote:
Thanks for the advice on gaining more skill before i go after harder ships to pilot. would you suggest getting a y-wing and a k-wing or looking for used cards on ebay or other places.

Rather than spend a fortune buying all the cards from each set on ebay, just go to http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Wik... to print out and use proxies. This won't be allowed in tournaments, but for friendly games against friends, it's a great way to gain access to a lot of the cards you may want to use. It also prevents you from having to buy ships you have no interest in using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buy them all. Get it over with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Myers

Missouri
msg tools
mb
pearblossomkurt wrote:

I think it's far too easy to get sucked into the meta of this game early on. There's definitely synergies between different ships and expansions, but I'll bet you can have a ton of fun just randomly picking up whatever you think looks cool. At least, that's how I'm trying to approach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Captain
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

If you are buying from a store you might not have that much choice depending on what they have in stock.

Otherwise you will have to go online to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mb
pearblossomkurt wrote:
I am new to this game and i have 2 Force Awakens core sets( 2 x-wings and 4 tie fighters). I am sure everybody already knew that. I would like to get 1 more rebel ship and 1 more imperial ship. I am going to start soon going to a local store to play against people. At the moment i have only been playing against the AI programs which is fine that i am learning mechanics and flow, but leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the imperials i was thinking about the tie phantom or vader.

For the rebels i was thinking about the a-wing or y-wing.

For these two ships i would like to spend $20 or under for each ship. Next month i will have a little more to spend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TIE Phantom and TIE Advanced are great choices. The Phantom is a top-tier ship out of the box. As mentioned, the Advanced needs the TIE x1 and Advanced Targeting Computer cards to really shine (you can find them on eBay or, for casual play, just proxy them). An A-Wing could fit well with your two T-70s. If you get a Y-Wing, Twin Laser Turret is a very common upgrade you'll want to buy or proxy. I would also look at the E-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for the two aces packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Kruppe
msg tools
thanks for everyone's input. i really appreciate it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.