Secret Hitler» Forums » Strategy

Subject: When fascists outnumber liberals... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Woodhouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
If there are more (or same number) of fascists as liberals, what's to stop the fascists from outing themselves, and rejecting all proposed governments?

This would force top of deck policies to be played with no executive powers, and give the fascists a really good chance of winning. Or am I missing something? (suspect I am)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Fascists outnumber Liberals, Fascists pretty much win even if they come out, period. If Hitler is available chancellor, they elect him and game ends. If he's not, they downvote any legitimate team that might lose them the game.

If teams are even, then Fascists can out themselves and have a high chance of winning with topdeck, but really shouldn't do so if they still have a better option since topdeck can still go wrong (I've seen it happen against all odds)

So Liberals should try to avoid getting in this position. Play with even number of players IMO because getting into this situation with just one shot is really harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will agree that playing with an even number of players largely removes/alleviates this problem.

But at the odd player counts, I too find this is a pretty large issue with the game. The liberals essentially need to make sure they are removing a Fascist with the assassinate power or else they essentially lose to the above strategy, which is completely legal by the rules.

Of course, as some point out, it isn't fool proof, but still. In most scenarios it would seem to be 80 percent effective or better, and sure makes the game boring. And yet it really is their best strategy. Just try to vote Facists into power, and if that fails just keep failing the vote to top deck the policies and hope to win. It's quite effective even if it doesn't always work.

Overall I find Secret Hitler to be pretty enjoyable, but this is the major issue I have with it. Every few rounds can devolve into this and really ruins the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
msg tools
I have seen fascists still lose by top decking the final liberal policy this way, but yes when 2 liberals have been shot the situation is basically Werewolf at the same point when the werewolf players outnumber townsfolk.

Still, I see this as a game feature and not a shortcoming. It is simply something the players need be aware of. Often, for example, the group will decide to shoot into a conflict between two players on the agreement that both players in the conflict will be shot, avoiding the possibility of eliminating two liberals. (unless it is a rare case where two liberals have gotten into conflict)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Woodhouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your comments and insights everyone.

dalleck wrote:
Often, for example, the group will decide to shoot into a conflict between two players on the agreement that both players in the conflict will be shot, avoiding the possibility of eliminating two liberals. (unless it is a rare case where two liberals have gotten into conflict)

An interesting idea. Though, if the first of an 'in-conflict' pair to be assassinated is a liberal, and then a fascist is executing the second assassination, they're not going to assassinate the publicly agreed upon other party in the 'in-conflict' pair.

Have only played it a few times so far, but general impressions so far, are very good.

I don't imagine there's much that can be done to address the fascists outnumbering (or equaling) the liberals issue. Seems like a really good chance of a liberal getting killed first too (if a fascist is doing the assassination or a liberal makes an unlucky pick), so with an odd player count, I guess the odds are way more stacked against the liberals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
cosmic4z wrote:

I don't imagine there's much that can be done to address the fascists outnumbering (or equaling) the liberals issue. Seems like a really good chance of a liberal getting killed first too (if a fascist is doing the assassination or a liberal makes an unlucky pick), so with an odd player count, I guess the odds are way more stacked against the liberals?

I would also guess this, but I still have limited plays admittedly. Still, in general I think and feel the fascists have a significant advantage at odd player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen many scenarios where Facists have ousted themselves "especially to cover for H. One game we had the most trusted Chancelor previously elected and the elected President shot him. It was down hill from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.