Hide
7 Posts

Tiny Epic Western» Forums » General

Subject: Balance issue with player powers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Barille
msg tools
So we just got through our first game last night. I really like the game play of this game, seems heavier than the other tiny games. The production is great. Very few complaints. I do have one major one though, the player powers seem horribly unbalanced to me. Any power that gives 3 cards to choose from at start instead of 2 that is situational on top of it seems to be crap to me. Where getting 3 posse a round instead of 2 for one influence is immense, as is never dying to duels, or always having plus 1 to duels, as a few examples. I have not decided if its a bad thing or not, like in terra mystica there are powers that are on par with each other then others are sub par. This gives you the option of using the lesser ones when playing with non experienced players, and equal ones with normal players. This game is not nearly as complex so I do not know if this will be an equal benefit. Personally at the moment I would have much rather had more equal player powers. Will see with future plays if the imbalance in powers is useful or a hindrance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also a lot of nuances to consider when weighing the player powers against one another. After more plays, I am certain you will find them more balanced than they may appear now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was apparently brought up back in April but at that time there was no response.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1558732/rancher-over-powere...

I have not played yet but on paper getting the extra Posse seems awfully powerful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:
This was apparently brought up back in April but at that time there was no response.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1558732/rancher-over-powere...

I have not played yet but on paper getting the extra Posse seems awfully powerful...

I have played, and it seemed very powerful. I won 33-18, and I don't feel like my opponent was necessarily making bad moves.

Looking through the abilities, a lot of them seem stronger with more players...whereas the Rancher is at least as strong at all counts, but it could be argued it's even stronger with 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommendations then for a new player on house-rule variants to make these different player abilities more on an even playing field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Any recommendations then for a new player on house-rule variants to make these different player abilities more on an even playing field?

I only have an issue with the Rancher, and only in 2p games (not sure on 3p). The easiest answer is to just leave him out. An alternative variant could be for it to cost 2 resources...

I don't think the 3 card abilities are "crap" as the OP suggests, and none of the various duel abilities stuck out to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
The duel abilities are huge, always a bonus you can use. The gambler you only get a 3rd option if you chose to take the 3rd posse instead of the influence from the sheriffs office, scout you have to keep yourself poor for the ability to work. Seeing as these are situational, and the bonus they provide is not very good, they are very weak. With no way to modify dice rolls other than showing your card for one of them the gunslingers plus one is big. Never losing posse to duels is also big. This does not seem to be a deep enough game to need tiers of player powers to balance experienced players from non. I feel it is a reflection of poor play testing by Gamelyn. It was obvious with TEK that they had not finished the game before putting it out, which is why they eventually remade it to fix the problem of brick or clay or whatever it was being almost utterly useless, and building your tower an almost total waste of effort. When I mentioned this on the KS comment section the response was that the remake of TEK was not to fix any problems but to expand on what was there. I found that to be totally insulting to lie like that. It is more than obvious the game was not properly play tested and they eventually fixed a bad mechanism. To not be able to admit as much is in poor character, but to lie about it is just crap. I can live with the problems with the player powers in TEW, can always house rule things, the game itself is good, and the production is great. That crap response on the KS comment has lost them a customer from me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.