7,745 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
What disadvantages do they have compared to regular Planeswalkers? It seems to me like they're just that much better because your possibilities for deckbuilding are just twice as good.

Hasbro still hasn't learned from Heroscape. A D20 to automatically destroy figures? AGAIN? And one die roll to control an opponent's Planewalker? Ugh.

Also, just reading the cards, without even playing the game yet, my thoughts were: Gideon is the worst, Jace and Chandra are the best. And lo and behold, Gideon is considered to be the worst Planeswalker.

He has no range! No range = Weakness. Period.

Was this even playtested?

What COULD change the game, however, are the spell decks. Now I just skimmed through them, and it could help, but I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Jace's blue spells are also better than Gideon's white spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
My group hasn't even played with either form of Jace yet (we have both expansions), but from what I've heard, he's considered to be pretty competitive.

That being said, with the more expansions you have, the more likely you are to have good content across the board. I get that this may not appeal to some people, but the same exact case could be made for MTG cards themselves, though even more so!

I think that having access to multiple colors of creatures and spells is an advantage, but from what I've seen, multicolored planeswalkers seem to pay for it by costing more points. I don't know if this is across the board (and can't check right now), but in a 600 pt game, it seems that this can be slightly advantageous to choose a monocolored planeswalker, as it allows for better unit types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold planeswalkers have the benefit of variety for sure. But it is a double edged sword. So many abilites rely of a focussed deck, so in many cases you would want a single color.
Just like in the card game, the more colors in the deck, the harder it can be to get synergy.

And yes, Gideons range is a big factor, but the ability to summon squads close and close the distance is not that hard, and with his healing he can close the gap.
And once he gets next to you he has advantage.
You just have to get him and his troops in close, and quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dual color Plainswalkers have good and bad things. You are correct in that they get twice the cards to pick from for deck building and can pick and choose the best ones from both colors. The same goes for their units, having access to both colors allows you to pick and choose the best units from both colors to build with. They do cost a bit extra points wise to compensate for that.

Their real downside is that they are also limited in that a majority of the enchantments and buff spells that are in the game are specific to a certain color (enchant a target green squad unit, and so on). Having dual colors means that there is a chance that the spells you have in your hand might not be able to be cast on the units that you have on the field currently.

It is a minor inconvenience in the long run, but early game when you might only have one or two units on the field, or late game when you might only have one unit left, it can be annoying to keep drawing spells that you might not be able to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Gold planeswalkers have the benefit of variety for sure. But it is a double edged sword. So many abilites rely of a focussed deck, so in many cases you would want a single color.
Just like in the card game, the more colors in the deck, the harder it can be to get synergy.

And yes, Gideons range is a big factor, but the ability to summon squads close and close the distance is not that hard, and with his healing he can close the gap.
And once he gets next to you he has advantage.
You just have to get him and his troops in close, and quick.

Agreed! Gideon isn't that bad. I do enjoy playing with him because white spells straight out BEEF your squads and pw. Turtle for a few rounds until you get some squad buffs out. I'd say green pw is a great counter for him, while he can do well against red and black... I dunno, in my experience having played the game quite a bit with my friends, we find the winner is the one who played better... We haven't really noticed too much imbalance between colors. We just got the new expansion a few weeks ago, and havent played it too much, so I dont have as much experience with dual color pws yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If played properly, blue will straight up slaughter white. White relies too much on enchantments and blue has far too many "unsummon" effects that remove entire squads from the field, causing all enchantments to fall off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kajoq asdf
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unless the white player is weighted towards Heroes instead of Squads, Which White is pretty good at supporting. This blanks a lot of blues most powerful spells.

With the addition of Innistrad, and playing 600 points instead of 500, there's a pretty solid meta to be fleshed out. It's not quite as straightforward as the 'JACE RULEZ GIDEON DROOLZ' that gets echoed on the forums all the time. If you're playing just the base game at 500 points, yeah, Gideon feels a little underpowered. With the cards and figs from Zendikar/Innistrad there's a lot more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan folsom
msg tools
It's hard to take your review very seriously when you admittedly haven't played the game.

To compare Gideon and his units to Heroscape, Marcus and the Romans were quite competitive long before they were given the 10th Regiment as a ranged option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
?? I never posted a review.

nate the dawg wrote:
It's hard to take your review very seriously when you admittedly haven't played the game.

To compare Gideon and his units to Heroscape, Marcus and the Romans were quite competitive long before they were given the 10th Regiment as a ranged option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.