Hero Realms» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Magic: the Gathering" or "Epic" rules Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniele Carletti
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi!
I am a big fan of deckbuilder games, and I love Star Realms. When I heard about HR i was almost immidiatelly hooked to the KS, and the different classes are the things that sold me the game.
I printed\cutted the P&P version of Hero Realms, I played with different people (they all seems to enjoy it).
It feels a lot like SR, but somewhat faster\more variable.
I wondered "Huh, too bad they didn't try to differentiate a little more form their older game; the tap/expend champion mechanic is there, but it's not used so much"

So I want to try to play it like it was Epic\MtG (but "deckbuilded" and somehow faster).

The game procedes as a normal game of HR. Unless you play a champion (that you play "prepared").
You have 2 choice for the champion, in your turn:
- use its "expend" ability, turning the card 90 degrees, as normal -> as in Epic\MtG the Champion will not defend you during your opponent turn.
- keep him\her to defend you.

Champions will be prepaired at the start of a Players turn, not during the cleanup phase.

This modify the way attack\defence works:
- During your turn you won't have an "Attack pool". You will use 1 or more action\item cards + attacking champion effect to make "smaller" attacks.
- The defender chooses if he wants to block the attack using unspent Champion/Champions. He\she will spent the defending champion to signal that they are used.
- if a guard is used to block the attack, the leftover (if any) is not carried to damage the opponent. If the attack is >= than the combined shields, every defending champion is stunned.
- if guard are not used, and the attack > the shield value, the difference is direct damage to the defender
(From a tematic point of view the player\hero is in the rearguard with "white shield" champions; the actions/battles against the player's party are near the frontline, when the guards are)
Having a lot of attack cards means that some attack will go directly to your opponent.
The cards that say "stun target champion" can also stun a spent champion.

A combat example:
Defender side (the numbers are the defending champion shield value):
Arksus (guard 6) - Bork ogre mercenary (guard 6) - Darian, war mage (champion 5) - Kraka, Hight priest (champion 6)

First attack:
Hit job (7 attack) + Smash and grab (6 attack) = 13 attack + stun champion (and take a card fron the discard and put it back top of deck of the attacker)
The stun targets Arksus that is discarded.
The defender, seeing a hight value attack, defends with Bork. Bork is stunned.

Second attack: "the rot" (4 attack) + elven curse (6 attack) = 10 total + the defenders discards a card (the card is discarded anyway, even if the attack is defended)
Defend with Darian + Kraka (total defence: 11). the Damage is not enough to stun both, but 1 must be stunned. The defenders decide to stun Darian. Still no damage to the defender. Kraka is spent.

The attacker now plays "Dark energy". 7 direct damage + draws a card (the rot, played earlier, is red).
The other card is used to buy some stuff.

Possible modifications:
- During your turn, you have to discard the card used for every attack: this won't trigger ally ability of card used in different "wave" of attacks. Maybe the game becomes less confusing (you do not have to remember which ally effects is already used e whitch not) and you have to choose carefully the cards to attack with (maximizing the effects, maybe drawing all the cards in advance)

Do you have any sugestion for this variant?
Will this "break" the game too mutch?
Let me know what you think!

Sorry for the long post, I hope everithing is clear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drager85 wrote:

Well, what do YOU think? I guess you tried it a few times.

My guess would be that champions overall became less valuable, with low cost champions losing less value, while events stay the same which kind of means events become better cards, because normally, let's say you have a champion with guard, who has 6 hits, and can do 7 damage, and you have an event that has 6 healing and 7 damage. I would expect the champion would cost more, because it has a chance of staying on the board and triggering abilities that bounce of off champions. But now you can only use half of its abilities, so it's overpriced. One possible solution would be to consider all champion cards somewhat cheaper.
Overall, doesn't this make the game longer? Instead of just counting up damage all at once, you do it in separate waves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Carletti
Italy
flag msg tools
wallwaster wrote:
Drager85 wrote:

Well, what do YOU think? I guess you tried it a few times.

Actually this is all "in theory". I wanted to see if you BGGeeks can "tweak" my idea before trying.

wallwaster wrote:

My guess would be that champions overall became less valuable, with low cost champions losing less value, while events stay the same which kind of means events become better cards, because normally, let's say you have a champion with guard, who has 6 hits, and can do 7 damage, and you have an event that has 6 healing and 7 damage. I would expect the champion would cost more, because it has a chance of staying on the board and triggering abilities that bounce of off champions. But now you can only use half of its abilities, so it's overpriced. One possible solution would be to consider all champion cards somewhat cheaper.

And that's why I posted here!laugh
Discount the champion is a possible solution to rebalance the change of rules. Champions that cost 8-5 can have a discount of 2, champions that cost 4-1 can have a discount of 1 (so value five and value four champions cost 3, I hope this will not be a big deal).

wallwaster wrote:
Overall, doesn't this make the game longer? Instead of just counting up damage all at once, you do it in separate waves.

Yes, I don't know if the game would be longer only for the "fighting" part (that is quite short\instant for the original rules) OR longer also for the number of turns. If that's the case the scrap\sarifice card would be much more needed for every strategy, and the rush would the a lesser option

Thanks for the suggestions, keep'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drager85 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, keep'em coming!

I honestly think you should playtest this if you take it seriously at all. I mean I have no problem with messing around on the forums, but if you want to make an actual working variant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.