39.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like the title said, my gal and I are getting ready to start a new posse.
She's leaning toward playing a lawman.
I am bouncing back and forth between ideas like a rubber ball on crack.

A couple limitations: I played a Marshal in the last game, don't wanna do it again. Also: she played a saloon girl, so I dont think I want to play that either.

I keep eye-balling a few classes: Orphan (likely leading into cowboy), also Jargono Native, also just straight Cowboy, also Rancher. I made a Frontier Doc for a game with other peoole, but they havent been available to play for a while, which is a shame because I really like the Doc.

Point is: I'm overwhelmed with choice.

Here are some mechanical things I particularly like:
Ranged attacks (leaning toward pistols, since my Marshal has shotguns on lockdown)
Good defense/willpower saves (at least 4+, 3+ is ideal (I prefer physical defense over mental)
Starting with, or easy access to, high cunning and strength. (I like gambling, and who doesn't like carrying lots of stuff?)
Bonus damage from class
Additional grit generation from class.
Any healing abilities will be valuable since there's only 2 of us.
The showman tag, the gold ring is just too good.
*Note: I realize I won't get all these things from one character, I included them just for reference.

TLDR: I have no idea what I want to play in our next game, help?

*Note2: I have access to all the current available classes, including outlaw and the gencon promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would possibly try the Priest/nun. He has some interesting aspects about him that make him really interesting compared to the other heroes and they have healing abilities.

We have a rancher in our posse as well and he seems like a lot of fun as well and probably helps balance out a 2 player game a bit as he gets some extra shots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Priest is a good suggestion and comes with the ability to heal. It was my first thought too.
However, after reading your preferences, why not go for the Scout? That would also give you someone with a bit of ability in hand to hand too. Let the Lawman do the pistol run while you do rifles or bows.
Rancher would also work for the rifle run, lots of Health, and some decent hand to hand. Main reason I favor the Scout is for the ability to redraw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dverning wrote:
Priest is a good suggestion and comes with the ability to heal. It was my first thought too.
However, after reading your preferences, why not go for the Scout? That would also give you someone with a bit of ability in hand to hand too. Let the Lawman do the pistol run while you do rifles or bows.
Rancher would also work for the rifle run, lots of Health, and some decent hand to hand. Main reason I favor the Scout is for the ability to redraw.

What am I missing? (On the scout)
With a quick re-glance at the class:
It has average (2) cunning and strength, no bonus damage, no str on skills, and only 1 cunning (at tier 3), minimal grit generation (outside the white hat trick), and no good ranged skills, and no real healing abilities....
I don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Scout can have a really slick combo of his starting hatchet, tribal knife(pretty easy to get) and Savage Attack.

Almost forgot, add in the Voices of the Ancestors and you have grit whenever you need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
njep wrote:
The Scout can have a really slick combo of his starting hatchet, tribal knife(pretty easy to get) and Savage Attack.

Almost forgot, add in the Voices of the Ancestors and you have grit whenever you need it.

Ok. I get what you're saying. But frankly, if I decide to go melee, there's no way I'm picking the scout over the jargono native or doc.
Both have comparable or better melee capacity and better grit generation. And the Doc's healing blows the scouts out of the water (outside white hat/ voices combo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
njep wrote:

Ok. I get what you're saying. But frankly, if I decide to go melee, there's no way I'm picking the scout over the jargono native or doc.
Both have comparable or better melee capacity and better grit generation. And the Doc's healing blows the scouts out of the water (outside white hat/ voices combo)

Let me hear you say that after you pull the Trun Disintegrator.

Which I just pulled for my Cowboy who has trick shot. But he needs a crapload of grit to use it. 1 to activate the gun, 1 in case he misses, 1 to activate the trick shot ability. So probably not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"probably not worth it" is likely the best description for the trun disintegrator in general.
I sold it with my Marshal when I found it. And he's (debatably) the best equipped of any class to use it.

That said, I'm not sure it would be all that great in the hands of the scout either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought with the Cowboy ability of trick shot that allows you to do a hit to d3 adjacent enemies that it could be really powerful. You wouldn't even have to roll for the other shots. Maybe if the posse is high enough level, you have gobs of money, and you have a Scout's bag you could just pull it out when you need to and not worry about it weighing you down. Kind of like the coffin that Django drags around with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you're indecise go with the Orohan with out making any plans.
When you're close to growing up start thinking about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andvice wrote:
If you're indecise go with the Orohan with out making any plans.
When you're close to growing up start thinking about it!

Lol. I've seriously considered doing exactly that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Cooperton wrote:
Like the title said, my gal and I are getting ready to start a new posse.
She's leaning toward playing a lawman.
I am bouncing back and forth between ideas like a rubber ball on crack.

A couple limitations: I played a Marshal in the last game, don't wanna do it again. Also: she played a saloon girl, so I dont think I want to play that either.

I keep eye-balling a few classes: Orphan (likely leading into cowboy), also Jargono Native, also just straight Cowboy, also Rancher. I made a Frontier Doc for a game with other peoole, but they havent been available to play for a while, which is a shame because I really like the Doc.

Point is: I'm overwhelmed with choice.

Here are some mechanical things I particularly like:
Ranged attacks (leaning toward pistols, since my Marshal has shotguns on lockdown)
Good defense/willpower saves (at least 4+, 3+ is ideal (I prefer physical defense over mental)
Starting with, or easy access to, high cunning and strength. (I like gambling, and who doesn't like carrying lots of stuff?)
Bonus damage from class
Additional grit generation from class.
Any healing abilities will be valuable since there's only 2 of us.
The showman tag, the gold ring is just too good.
*Note: I realize I won't get all these things from one character, I included them just for reference.

TLDR: I have no idea what I want to play in our next game, help?

*Note2: I have access to all the current available classes, including outlaw and the gencon promos.

You mention later down the chain that you're considering an Orphan, which I think to be an excellent choice.

Keep in mind, though, that an Orphan can never grow up to be a Jargono Native, which is the class I would personally recommend. If you choose the Bow option he has a good ranged weapon which is not a shotgun, good defense, strength 3, bonus damage, extra Grit generation, extra shots, and the Jargono Personal Items are especially neat and useful. Also, there is a 2nd tier Upgrade that gives him a new sidebag Fungus token every adventure, which would certainly help with the healing.

The Jargono Natives seems to have almost everything you want and he's very cool into the bargain, so why not go with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Solan wrote:
...a Jargono Native, which is the class I would personally recommend. If you choose the Bow option he has a good ranged weapon which is not a shotgun, good defense, strength 3, bonus damage, extra Grit generation, extra shots, and the Jargono Personal Items are especially neat and useful. Also, there is a 2nd tier Upgrade that gives him a new sidebag Fungus token every adventure, which would certainly help with the healing.

The Jargono Natives seems to have almost everything you want and he's very cool into the bargain, so why not go with him?

I'm glad you pointed this out and asked about it. It opens up the discussion to some interesting ideas about design and character progression.

Youre right. The native checks almost all my boxes.
The reason he's not a slam dunk is that: much like the bandito, his starting skill largely determines his combat style.
And in his case, each of his combat styles checks one of my boxes.
If you pick a bow out of the gate you're a solid ranged character, but you don't get much grit generation or bonus damage.
Similarly the weapon and shield starting ability gives you the best grit generation, and the 2 handed style gives you the bonus damage.

This is great design, as it makes any 2 natives feel very different. But it puts me in a pickle.
If I can manage to get a 3rd hand, I may be able to combine grit generation with damage, or I could ignore the benefits of a shield to do the same thing.

But I can't, for the life of me, see any way to make a jargono native good at generating grit, get good bonus damage, be good at shooting, and have healing capacity.
As all those abilities (except healing) relate to a different starting skill.
And all of them require different skill trees.
If I played one, I'd be willing to forgo healing, but I'd also miss out on good ranged combat. I'd likely take the sword + board path to get the grit abilities and defense.
I could carry a bow, but I'd hit on 5s, which is not great.
But hey, if you can point out a build path that checks most of my boxes, I'd be delighted to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
With the Jargono Native I would get the Shield starting skill that generate grit but then go bow once I can afford the spirit bow. 5+ to hit but lots of attacks always grittable are better than 4+ to hit in my opinion.

Assuming you have no Spirit items and no spirit upgrades, by level 5 you would have Spirit 5 (3 base, 1 for becoming holy and 1 from the skill tree).

I would also go down the first skill tree, just to be able to move back the darkness marker (That's a great skill!). It would also give you the fungus AND a damage bonus (Since 5+ hit = always critical hits with the spirit bow).

The last 3 skills would be on the bow path, to have +1 shot and double endurance.

IF you get a prehensile tail, you can wield a shield to take advantage of the second part of the starting skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Cooperton wrote:
Solan wrote:
...a Jargono Native, which is the class I would personally recommend. If you choose the Bow option he has a good ranged weapon which is not a shotgun, good defense, strength 3, bonus damage, extra Grit generation, extra shots, and the Jargono Personal Items are especially neat and useful. Also, there is a 2nd tier Upgrade that gives him a new sidebag Fungus token every adventure, which would certainly help with the healing.

I'm glad you pointed this out and asked about it. It opens up the discussion to some interesting ideas about design and character progression.

Youre right. The native checks almost all my boxes.
The reason he's not a slam dunk is that: much like the bandito, his starting skill largely determines his combat style.
And in his case, each of his combat styles checks one of my boxes.
If you pick a bow out of the gate you're a solid ranged character, but you don't get much grit generation or bonus damage.
Similarly the weapon and shield starting ability gives you the best grit generation, and the 2 handed style gives you the bonus damage.

This is great design, as it makes any 2 natives feel very different. But it puts me in a pickle.
If I can manage to get a 3rd hand, I may be able to combine grit generation with damage, or I could ignore the benefits of a shield to do the same thing.

But I can't, for the life of me, see any way to make a jargono native good at generating grit, get good bonus damage, be good at shooting, and have healing capacity.
As all those abilities (except healing) relate to a different starting skill.
And all of them require different skill trees.
If I played one, I'd be willing to forgo healing, but I'd also miss out on good ranged combat. I'd likely take the sword + board path to get the grit abilities and defense.
I could carry a bow, but I'd hit on 5s, which is not great.
But hey, if you can point out a build path that checks most of my boxes, I'd be delighted to try it out.

Very well, here's the build which seems to allow what you want. The Jargono Native is good at shooting if you take the Bow skill, already has natural extra damage against Beast Enemies, gets additional damage on Critical Hits from the first level Jargono upgrade, gets 1 Grit per Ambush AND +1 Strength with the 1st Level Gladiator Upgrade and as a Fungus Grower on the second level Jargono upgrade would get one Fungus sidebag token at the start of every Adventure to use in Healing. Oh, and the Hunting and Tracking Tree enables him to get several extra shots in and circumvent Endurance to a degree (and the third upgrade on that tree grants yet another +1 Strength, which you said was important to you).

So why not get Gladiator Battle Stance as your first upgrade, then Jargono Stealth Strike, then Jargono Fungus Grower if you still need the Healing, and finally go straight down the Hunting and Tracking tree to make your bowhandling as impressive as possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good times. There's two possible builds that do (mostly) what I want.
I'm not sure why I'm so hesitant to pull the trigger on the jargono native.
It may have something to do with the fact that I tried to play one before, in what ii think of as the "doomed game"

By the second or third mission, we both had multiple injuries and had lost starting gear.
We couldn't even beat the first room on the 4th mission, and ended up scrapping the game.

Regardless: he's a consideration.
I've narrowed it down to 3 contenders.

Jargono Native, likely with some variation of the above builds.

Frontier Doc, shooting down the far right tree and with the field research starting skill. This build has the best damage output and the best healing. He could carry a pistol for when it's needed. If he gets a decent agility, and can find it, a trusty pistol would serve him fairly well, although 5+ to hit is rough.
Still though, a primarily melee character. Better grit generation than the native though.

The other contender is a Cowboy.
Shooting down the far left tree, he'll end up with slightly better defense than the doc and the native. He'll have a self-heal from scavenging. Better ranged ability than either the doc or tribal (again, hoping for a trusty pistol).
He has the best grit generation from level 1. Additionally he'll get + damage vs large enemies, tribals, beasts, and outlaws. This makes him a better damage dealer than the native.
And the biggie is that he's a showman (in addition to frontier) essentially halving the cost of the gold ring.

If I'm being honest, despite the builds y'all posted (thanks for that btw, it's good to see whats possible that I missed)
I'm leaning more towards the doc or cowboy.
It's a matter of if I think healing or range is more valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.